• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade Outcome - Is it simple math?

3 posts in this topic

Sorry if i sound like a noob, but my first CSG card arrived today and the numbers "did not add up". 

Is there more to the final score than simple math? Example, this burrow graded 9.5, 10, 8.5, 10 - Simple math would have that average out to 9.5, but the final score was a 9. What am I missing? 

Joey B.jpg

• Administrator

@eshow3907

Thank you for reaching out to us.  In response to your inquiry:

CSG has developed a proprietary algorithm to determine a card’s final grade based on its sub-grades. While we can’t reveal how we arrive at a final grade and sub-grades for a specific card, we can share some guidelines. First, it is important to note that the final grade is not simply an average of the sub-grades. Rather, it is based on numerous rules that are built into CSG’s proprietary systems and grading process. 

On 11/3/2021 at 7:14 PM, eshow3907 said:

Sorry if i sound like a noob, but my first CSG card arrived today and the numbers "did not add up". 

Is there more to the final score than simple math? Example, this burrow graded 9.5, 10, 8.5, 10 - Simple math would have that average out to 9.5, but the final score was a 9. What am I missing? 

Joey B.jpg

And to provide a little more context to what Ryan mentioned above, every grading company follows a similar process.   There are rules that exist within the subgrades that set maximum overall grade that can be achieved.

The lowest subgrade on the card typically affects the maximum rating the most, and the final is usually not more than about a point higher than the lowest sub (it can happen but it's less common).

Edited by oluckydayo