• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To grade or not to grade

6 posts in this topic

I have quite a few cards that have been kept in albums or hard cases for a very long time.  They are all in great shape but I've never had cards graded before.  I do have some PSA 9 and 10 cards I bought and a CSG 9 to compare but I honestly don't even know what I'm looking for, the 9's look just like the 10's.  Here is the list and tell me what you think I should do.  I was thinking of sending these all to CSG and if I get some high grades on some of the more expensive cards, sending to PSA because it seems there is a higher return on the PSA's?  Some of these cards I can't find a flaw and some of slightly off centered, some have very slight chipping on the edges.  All corners look sharp to me.  These are some of the highlights, not sure if I can remember the whole list until I get home and look at them again

1986 Topps Football: Jerry Rice, Steve Young, Boomer Esiason, William Perry, Walter Payton, Charles Mann, Joe Montana, Reggie White, Bruce Smith

1987 Topps Football: Lawrence Taylor, Jim Kelly

1991 Fleer Basketball: Michael Jordan base card and All Star cards.  All Star team card also

1985 Topps Baseball: Complete set.  Cards that look pristine to me are: Gooden record breaker, Clemens, Puckett, Mattingly, Ripken Jr..  Gooden base and McGwire are not in great shape

1988 Fleer Basketball: Bird and Magic

1990 Fleer Update Football: Emmett Smith

1981 Nashville Sounds Mattingly: Really nice but one small stain on the bottom border

1985 Donruss Baseball: Mattingly and Two For the Title (Winfield/Mattingly:

There are lot of other, especially in the 1986 Topps Football but these are the ones that look pristine to me or if they don't, the value would still be worth having them graded.

On 10/19/2021 at 5:51 PM, RM4570 said:

I have quite a few cards that have been kept in albums or hard cases for a very long time.  They are all in great shape but I've never had cards graded before.  I do have some PSA 9 and 10 cards I bought and a CSG 9 to compare but I honestly don't even know what I'm looking for, the 9's look just like the 10's.  Here is the list and tell me what you think I should do.  I was thinking of sending these all to CSG and if I get some high grades on some of the more expensive cards, sending to PSA because it seems there is a higher return on the PSA's?  Some of these cards I can't find a flaw and some of slightly off centered, some have very slight chipping on the edges.  All corners look sharp to me.  These are some of the highlights, not sure if I can remember the whole list until I get home and look at them again

1986 Topps Football: Jerry Rice, Steve Young, Boomer Esiason, William Perry, Walter Payton, Charles Mann, Joe Montana, Reggie White, Bruce Smith

1987 Topps Football: Lawrence Taylor, Jim Kelly

1991 Fleer Basketball: Michael Jordan base card and All Star cards.  All Star team card also

1985 Topps Baseball: Complete set.  Cards that look pristine to me are: Gooden record breaker, Clemens, Puckett, Mattingly, Ripken Jr..  Gooden base and McGwire are not in great shape

1988 Fleer Basketball: Bird and Magic

1990 Fleer Update Football: Emmett Smith

1981 Nashville Sounds Mattingly: Really nice but one small stain on the bottom border

1985 Donruss Baseball: Mattingly and Two For the Title (Winfield/Mattingly:

There are lot of other, especially in the 1986 Topps Football but these are the ones that look pristine to me or if they don't, the value would still be worth having them graded.

Get them graded.