• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Authentication of vintage card

11 posts in this topic

As I've been reading about people getting vintage cards sent back without being graded due to "service unavailable" or "trimmed or altered" I was wondering if now would be a good time to send in or should I wait until the bugs are worked out of the system. I have a 1963 Pete Rose that will not grade well at all but I'm just wanting it in a slab as authentic. Any help is appreciated.

On 4/16/2021 at 12:07 PM, Andrewdice said:

I had 8 cards sent back in my first bulk submission. They all said oversized service unavailable. The cards were from the 60s and 70s

I want to send in a couple of 50's baseball cards but I'm worried about that too. They're slightly larger than modern cards.

I sent in a 1965 Topps Namath, 1952 Topps Mays, 1954 Bowman Mantle.  All three cards were returned as EV for the 1952 Mays and SU for the Namath and Mantle. The 1952 Mays is not trimmed just off-center. I don't understand how a card can be graded SU when they allow it to be selected on the submission form.  I had these sent in as Express.  It took roughly 30 days and $120.  All the time and money was wasted.  I don't see how they can charge the fees when ungraded cards are returned when CSG allows them to be selected.  I also had a walkthrough that took 22 days.  I have another 90 cards in the pipeline, not entered into the system and it's been around 40 days.

I will not be using CSG in the future after spending more than $2k and not happy with the grading, invoices, and time to grade.

I agree. Had the same things happen to me. So far, out of 213 cards submitted , 16 have come back with no grade. 10 we're from the 1965 Topps Football set and 1 other 1978 Topps Football card was straight out of the factory set. 1 other 1971 Baseball card was flagged for trimming, 1 card was an Autographed card from 1966, 1 submission was a cutout from the 1954 Sports Illustrated magazine and 2 were Mantle cards I bought on E-Bay that I wanted verified if they were legit. Even sent a letter with the shipment asking them to call me if they had questions. No response. I have a ton more cards I was going to suit to CSG, but I think I'll try a different company.

I sent in a 106 card submission and about eight of them were not graded. I was okay with three of these since one was wavy and two of the cards I picked up in the last few years when rejoining the hobby so who knows what was done to them. Most of the cards said EV indicating they were trimmed. The ones I struggle with are the four to five  cards from a set I had purchased in the 1980s from a dealer I knew for years. When the submission came back I measured the cards and looked at them under 10x magnification and could see no evidence of trimming. I also asked a local dealer with decades of experience who also did not believe they were altered. I am just wondering if there is a higher level of sensitivity since there have been so many scammers and scandals the last few years. I also noticed there were a few cards that came back damaged and 7-8 cases that were thicker than the rest which prevents me from putting them in a standard size sleeve. This made no sense since they did not seem to be thicker than the other cards. I will be following up with CSG on these issues.

I have a 1976 Topps Walter Payton RC that I had graded by GMA. Had no problem. Of course, being greedy, I busted it out and sent it to HGA to hopefully get a grade higher. They would not grade it due to supposedly a trimming issue. Now I'm gun-shy to send it in again and have to pay again for it to not be graded. I've measured and magnified it numerous times and it measures the exact same as any other card that was sent?? 

On 4/21/2021 at 1:10 PM, nburres said:

I want to send in a couple of 50's baseball cards but I'm worried about that too. They're slightly larger than modern cards.

if they're kosher they'll get graded but csg isnt gonna take a chance if they think a card might be trimmed, this hobby is unforgiving they miss one trimmed card influencers are all over youtube saying csg sux they missed a trimmed 1950 sandy koufax and submissions are cut in half ha