• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will PSA Ever Be a Viable Choice for Economy Card Grading?

6 posts in this topic

Not meaning to criticize PSA and their success in the market place but just asking the question.  Will PSA ever be a viable choice for economy card grading?  Given now that their grading services are $20.00 per card  with over a 7 month wait time for grading, will they ever be back to the $10.00 a card grading services with only a few month turning around time?  Or will PSA only now service those with high end cards willing to pay hundreds of dollars for high end cards?  Unless there is a massive increase in number of graders and an impressive leap in consistent technology usage it's hard to see them coming out from under their our success anytime soon with affordable grading prices and reasonable turn around times.  Yes?  No?  Looking forward to giving CSG a try and seeing what their market share of grading services becomes. 

Yes, I still have submitted 200-300 cards a month since price increase. I am changing what I end them though. I am sending less and less Ultra Modern stuff. I will just wait on those to fall into the Modern submits... I am sending in a bunch of 2017-1980 type. Really a bunch for 1990's..  Jordan type stuff. If CSG works out, they will get majority of Ultra Modern stuff, and they get all my autos stuff now. 

2 hours ago, KBost33 said:

Yes, I still have submitted 200-300 cards a month since price increase. I am changing what I end them though. I am sending less and less Ultra Modern stuff. I will just wait on those to fall into the Modern submits... I am sending in a bunch of 2017-1980 type. Really a bunch for 1990's..  Jordan type stuff. If CSG works out, they will get majority of Ultra Modern stuff, and they get all my autos stuff now. 

You send in 200-300 cards a month. What in the world are you sending them? Everything? You are part of the problem. There should come a point where the cards you have remaining are not going to get a gem grade. But you say the heck with it and send them anyway.

7 hours ago, tmoore_25 said:

You send in 200-300 cards a month. What in the world are you sending them? Everything? You are part of the problem. There should come a point where the cards you have remaining are not going to get a gem grade. But you say the heck with it and send them anyway.

Well, Tmoore, actually, I didn't grade anything until this past year. I have been collecting for over 30 years, and I bought several large collections from people right before Covid.. So I have alot of cards, over a million easily.  You have no idea what I, or anyone has in their collection. So no, have plenty to keep sending if that would GEM.. and also, I figure why not use PSA as my own personal warehouse. I know they are backed up, when the cards are sitting at PSA I know exactly where they are. Not a big deal to me.

Plus, I have case break room, and I personally break several cases myself. SO, no not part of the problem. I have enough money to submit whatever I want. I open lots of boxes too from various years 1980-2000's, pulling Jordan/Jeters/Griffey fresh from packs. Pretty ridiculous comment without knowing any information. That is what the real problem is,  all of sudden these "experts" are over the place in all these rooms. LOL!    All good though. 

6 hours ago, KBost33 said:

Well, Tmoore, actually, I didn't grade anything until this past year. I have been collecting for over 30 years, and I bought several large collections from people right before Covid.. So I have alot of cards, over a million easily.  You have no idea what I, or anyone has in their collection. So no, have plenty to keep sending if that would GEM.. and also, I figure why not use PSA as my own personal warehouse. I know they are backed up, when the cards are sitting at PSA I know exactly where they are. Not a big deal to me.

Plus, I have case break room, and I personally break several cases myself. SO, no not part of the problem. I have enough money to submit whatever I want. I open lots of boxes too from various years 1980-2000's, pulling Jordan/Jeters/Griffey fresh from packs. Pretty ridiculous comment without knowing any information. That is what the real problem is,  all of sudden these "experts" are over the place in all these rooms. LOL!    All good though. 

You're right, I have no idea what anyone has in their collection. But I also know there aren't too many people sending personal submissions that big in on a regular basis unless they run a business or have a large ebay following. And your eBay account doesn't indicate that you are a big fish or some large breaker either considering you've sold like 2 PSA graded cards this year. And I don't care how much money you have. That throws up a red flag immediately. People with money are usually humble enough not to brag about it.