• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CSG - Toughest grader in the business?

7 posts in this topic

In deciding which grading company to send my cards; am I better off with one that grades harder or with one which utilizes a less rigid process? I have seen it stated in various venues that CSG is one of the "toughest" grading companies. This has it's obvious pros and cons. But, is it true? 

Pro - accurate quality assessment              Con - possible lower grade

On 9/11/2021 at 4:32 PM, The Fonz said:

In deciding which grading company to send my cards; am I better off with one that grades harder or with one which utilizes a less rigid process? I have seen it stated in various venues that CSG is one of the "toughest" grading companies. This has it's obvious pros and cons. But, is it true? 

I don't know if there is a way to determine who is truly the toughest in the business without a revealing look behind the curtain at peoples' grading process, to be frank, but from my experience CSG is absolutely one of the tougher ones. HGA seems to be extremely tough, too. 

I'd say, from personal experience (I have been grading cards for over 20 years, over 30 in the hobby), from toughest to most lenient is:

1) HGA

2) CSG

3) SGC

4) PSA

Ironically, I think bc they are the most lenient is why PSA cards do so well. As a percentage, I routinely have more 10s from PSA than I do from anyone else. I think that has changed a bit since they started implementing AI in their grading process, but that is based on a very small sample set so I wouldn't want to extrapolate that out to say anything definite. 

People want 10s, bottom line, and bc PSA doesn't have a 9.5 or a "Pristine 10" or anything that separates a 'regular' GEM MINT 10 from the truly best of the best I think that's why people continue to go with them - you can have a clearly imperfect card labeled a 10 by PSA, even if the centering is at 60/40, which to me is just absurd. In my personal opinion, I WANT a tougher grading company bc that shows me the highest graded cards are really the best of the best. 

ETA: I want to add here, too, that I am still grading with PSA and SGC right now, but not BGS. I haven't used BSG in over 5 years bc their company is just an absolute sh*itshow, but PSA and SGC still continue to be very reliable for me. In fact, I just sent in my copy of LBJ's 2003 Bowman Chrome Rookies and Stars and it got a 10, and those bad boys are going for about 6K on eBay right now. I wouldn't have even thought about sending that card to anyone else bc 1) PSA graded cards get the most value in return and 2) their more lax grading gives me more of a chance at said value. 

Edited by ne1seenmykeys

On 9/11/2021 at 7:32 PM, The Fonz said:

depends on the company psa been around long enough they can be more leniant and cards still hold value, but if ya got a wilt chamberlin rookie and your selling for 7G's an experienced collector might want to buy a more accurate graded card from csg,accurate stricter grades typically better for the buyer but over time the strategy of consistent accurate grading the slabs will gain value and if you do get a 10 from csg hopefully it will be percieved as rare and literally pristine and value will reflect so, learn how to screen your cards watch alot of reveals of people who know what there talking about! not people who complain that every card isnt a 10, thats just stupid, if ya do a good job of screening and sending in centered sharp edge cards ya'll do good anywhere you send your cards. ya want consistent so you can gauge what your gonna get hit on and prepare accordingly 

On 9/11/2021 at 7:32 PM, The Fonz said:

right now there all kinda tuff, psa tough on corners but allows for 60/40 centering sometimes, csg tuffer on centering and harsh on surface but reguardless learn how to screen your cards really good and it wont matter where you send, because ya'll be subbmitting gems!! learn how to be meticulous look for every tiny speck of imperfection, get a magnify glass, a bright light, a centering tool and learn to prep your cards by wiping them down front and back,, it takes time you get a better eye over time, good luck 

From my submittals over the past 30 years, Beckett is by far the best for newer cards and less accurate for older cards.  My opinion, PSA has always been too lenient for grading cards from any era, and SGC the best for really old 19th and early 20th century cards.  My older cards usually got higher grades from PSA and have sold for great money.  I have had to send a lot of cards back to PSA for being overgraded.  Most of the cards were regraded lower and I used PSA's refund checks to pay for later submittals.  From my experience, Beckett hits the grades on newer cards spot on, and I get great prices for those cards.  There were a few cards that I thought were off by a little bit, but nothing I had to send back.

Interesting enough, PCGS of Collectors Universe (owner of PSA) is the absolute best at grading coins and medals.  The new ANACS is a great alternative for grading coins, is also very accurate and much less expensive, especially for “collector” coins.  Sadly, I can not say the same for NGC of Certified Collectors Group (owner of CSG).  Although I think CSG’s card grading is excellent, in my opinion, NGC many times will way overgrade coins and medals.  I have seen a huge number of light and very light wear AU (almost uncirculated) coins in NGC holders that were graded with MS (mint state) grades.  Of course, these are the ones that questionable coin dealers sell as “sight unseen” to other unscrupulous coins dealers, who then sell them to ignorant trusting coin buyers.

So, pick your companies for grading.  But the card grading companies certainly do not have the same grading accuracy as their coin grading siblings.

I use to use Beckett and PSA for all of my cards, but decided to use CSG for a change and I could not be happier and I will not use anyone else from this day forward.  Not only do I feel the grading is more stringent, the pricing and service cannot be beat.