• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disappointed.

36 posts in this topic

So my latest submission is coming back to me.  I peeked even though I told myself I wouldn't and I was shocked to see that a 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. did not have a grade associated with it.  I pulled this card directly from a box of 1989 Upper Deck that was factory sealed.  How could it possibly not get a grade?  Two others I sent in (1966 Topps Hank Aaron #500; 1964 Topps Hank Aaron #300) also do not show a grade for them.  Highly disappointed in this knowing these cards are the real deal and have not been altered in any way.  

12 minutes ago, TheRealKyleMcC said:

So my latest submission is coming back to me.  I peeked even though I told myself I wouldn't and I was shocked to see that a 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. did not have a grade associated with it.  I pulled this card directly from a box of 1989 Upper Deck that was factory sealed.  How could it possibly not get a grade?  Two others I sent in (1966 Topps Hank Aaron #500; 1964 Topps Hank Aaron #300) also do not show a grade for them.  Highly disappointed in this knowing these cards are the real deal and have not been altered in any way.  

Based on what I've seen on YouTube videos, the Griffey will come back as SU (Service Unavailable) which will at least get you a refund.  As for the other two, I wouldn't try to guess.  How did you do on the ones that did get grades?

3 minutes ago, Andy Gardecki said:

Based on what I've seen on YouTube videos, the Griffey will come back as SU (Service Unavailable) which will at least get you a refund.  As for the other two, I wouldn't try to guess.  How did you do on the ones that did get grades?

So there are You Tube videos that others have done where their 1989 Griffey's from Upper Deck have been returned as SU?  I did not think this particular card or set was of a different size.

2 hours ago, TheRealKyleMcC said:

So there are You Tube videos that others have done where their 1989 Griffey's from Upper Deck have been returned as SU?  I did not think this particular card or set was of a different size.

My 89 UD Junior card came back ungraded.  They slapped a sticker "OVERSIZED" on the penny sleeve but still charged me full price.  Considering that I sent it in Express with a Jeter rookie, I wasn't happy.  At least when PSA gave me the "MINSIZE" error on the Jeter, they waived the fee.  

On 3/27/2021 at 7:58 PM, cookfish1 said:

My 89 UD Junior card came back ungraded.  They slapped a sticker "OVERSIZED" on the penny sleeve but still charged me full price.  Considering that I sent it in Express with a Jeter rookie, I wasn't happy.  At least when PSA gave me the "MINSIZE" error on the Jeter, they waived the fee.  

Maybe they should update their list of cards that they do not grade to include the UD Griffey Jr RC?  Could be the least that they do....

https://www.csgcards.com/card-grading/cards-we-grade/#sports-cards-no-grade

52 minutes ago, cookfish1 said:

Maybe they should update their list of cards that they do not grade to include the UD Griffey Jr RC?  Could be the least that they do....

https://www.csgcards.com/card-grading/cards-we-grade/#sports-cards-no-grade

They do grade them..

CSG to Begin Sports Card Grading in February; Releases Fee Structure in  2021 | Sports, Cards, Sports cards

My 89 UD Griffey Jr. also came back "oversized" with an SU label. Charged and everything

I don't get the "SU" listing. Considering the Griffey is one of the cards they built their platform around, you would think they'd grade them. If they are coming back oversized, you can't say I trimmed it. I know there are some topps chrome RC's from 2019, I think, that are all undersized. I guess we can't send those in either. I know they are being very cautious with the trimming scandal. They don't want to be skylined as they are just coming to market, so I applaud them for their scrutiny but at the same time, I know it sucks for those of you who are getting the ungraded returns.

2 minutes ago, tmoore_25 said:

I don't get the "SU" listing. Considering the Griffey is one of the cards they built their platform around, you would think they'd grade them. If they are coming back oversized, you can't say I trimmed it. I know there are some topps chrome RC's from 2019, I think, that are all undersized. I guess we can't send those in either. I know they are being very cautious with the trimming scandal. They don't want to be skylined as they are just coming to market, so I applaud them for their scrutiny but at the same time, I know it sucks for those of you who are getting the ungraded returns.

Once I got it back the other day I measured it, along with the other two that received the "SU" designation and found that they are slightly wider than other cards.  Holding the Griffey, in particular, up against the slab you can see it would not fit in their current slab.  Once they get larger slabs, in the near future, I am going to resub it, along with the others.

5 minutes ago, TonyG726 said:

I'm waiting to get back some cards, they should be graded by now.  Where did you look to see what they were graded before you got them back?

Go to your account under submission tracking.

Edited by ItismeHerb
correction of wording

They did the same thing to me. $40 for nothing.IMG_20210331_101540.thumb.jpg.391dcaa438ac20acfdf5db6ac7a54ff9.jpg

3 hours ago, Yeahiwasder4dat said:

They did the same thing to me. $40 for nothing.IMG_20210331_101540.thumb.jpg.391dcaa438ac20acfdf5db6ac7a54ff9.jpg

Hang on, they graded yours but didn't slab it?  I kind of wish they had done something like that for my oversized Wayne Gretzky.  Maybe even offer a way that you could return it to them in the near future when they have slabs that hold slightly larger cards so they can slab it for you.  Mine just came with a SU paper and an oversized sticker.

1 hour ago, Andy Gardecki said:

Hang on, they graded yours but didn't slab it?  I kind of wish they had done something like that for my oversized Wayne Gretzky.  Maybe even offer a way that you could return it to them in the near future when they have slabs that hold slightly larger cards so they can slab it for you.  Mine just came with a SU paper and an oversized sticker.

I'm assuming because it was so close maybe they thought it would fit so it made it all the way through the process, or they just didn't realize that was still in there. Either way, without being slabbed that label doesn't do me much good beyond knowing what it would grade. I'm just curious how they only have a single holder they use. If I was the person trying to get my Yastrzemski into that holder without damaging it I'd have been sweating so hard I'd have to shower after. Touches all four stops in the case.