• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

...These worth Anything?
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Flashback to the summer of 1968...Buying my Topps wax packs, flipping, trading and sticking cards on rear bike stays for that motorcycle sound! And of course as any 12 year-old would do as not to get his cards mixed up with someone else's - why not inscribe your initials on them...in ink!  Question for the board - these worth anything?  Thanks 

IMG_20210116_223832.jpg

On 9/1/2021 at 9:54 PM, tiberry18 said:

IMO, I would slab them for the memories and to preserve them. In terms of value, I can't really say. 

Yeah, that is probably what I will do...damn, where is a Flux Capacitor when you need one? :-)

i would grade them if they are real but not with csg , for vintage like that id go with SGC , around the same price to sub and you get the cards back in a few weeks  , if you want to wait for months and months and months and months use CSG 

I came across these 71 Topps from my teenage collection from so many moons ago.   They were in binders collecting dust in the preverbal attic.   Trying to decide if I should bite the bullet and get a PSA grade?   Should I?   BTW, no question about authenticity as I purchased them as a kid.

SeaPalRyaCar.jpg

On 9/2/2021 at 11:42 AM, MichaelSpy said:

I came across these 71 Topps from my teenage collection from so many moons ago.   They were in binders collecting dust in the preverbal attic.   Trying to decide if I should bite the bullet and get a PSA grade?   Should I?   BTW, no question about authenticity as I purchased them as a kid.

SeaPalRyaCar.jpg

I would say do what makes you happy and have no regrets. If you're questioning to grade them, then grade them. Whatever grade they can back in, I think you'll be pleased wirh the CSG slab 

On 9/2/2021 at 8:42 AM, MichaelSpy said:

SeaPalRyaCar.jpg

I would send to SGC for $30/card.

On 9/1/2021 at 3:00 PM, vsnej said:

Flashback to the summer of 1968...Buying my Topps wax packs, flipping, trading and sticking cards on rear bike stays for that motorcycle sound! And of course as any 12 year-old would do as not to get his cards mixed up with someone else's - why not inscribe your initials on them...in ink!  Question for the board - these worth anything?  Thanks 

IMG_20210116_223832.jpg

jaxmerchants@gmail.com

I might buy one 

On 9/2/2021 at 11:42 AM, MichaelSpy said:

SeaPalRyaCar.jpg

CSG graded my '71 Ryan a 5.5  - ID is 1005604003 if you want to look it up.

Fair grade, lined up with their grading standards.  Yours looks notably sharper but centering is further off.  Probably a candidate for sub grades.

On 9/2/2021 at 2:12 PM, Shockmaster said:

I would say do what makes you happy and have no regrets. If you're questioning to grade them, then grade them. Whatever grade they can back in, I think you'll be pleased wirh the CSG slab 

agree i like csg for vintage slab looks good and there not crazy harsh, i watched a bunch of sgc reveals n csg, csg isnt any harsher on sgc wit the vintage n like ya said if your grading to preserve n look nice csg cheaper too 

From what I have noticed, there is actually a larger market for low-grade rookie cards like this than higher grade because they are more affordable and more people are able to buy them.  Having said that, I would get them authenticated by whatever grading agency you choose (hint: SGC is great for vintage) - just know that when you go to sell, they won't fetch as much as higher grade copies. 

Edit: I should have read the thread before I responded.  Glad to see you slabbed them, and you got a "2" - which is a good grade for a marked card.  Congrats! 

Edited by brentpearson

On 3/9/2022 at 2:06 AM, brentpearson said:

From what I have noticed, there is actually a larger market for low-grade rookie cards like this than higher grade because they are more affordable and more people are able to buy them.  Having said that, I would get them authenticated by whatever grading agency you choose (hint: SGC is great for vintage) - just know that when you go to sell, they won't fetch as much as higher grade copies. 

Edit: I should have read the thread before I responded.  Glad to see you slabbed them, and you got a "2" - which is a good grade for a marked card.  Congrats! 

Yeah I was happy with the grade and glad I got the sub grades.