CSG GRADING SCALE/STANDARDS CENTERING ISSUES
0

14 posts in this topic

Csg has very specific standards for centering.. but does not mention the centering on the back.. i would like csg to comment on this.. after looking over dozens and dozens of cards.. this obviously does not apply to the back..  and these standards... also dont seem to apply to vintage..  ..  i look forward to comments

Screenshot_20210828-183634_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210828-213223_Samsung Internet.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
On 8/28/2021 at 10:50 PM, Wheetie7 said:

Csg has very specific standards for centering.. but does not mention the centering on the back.. i would like csg to comment on this.. after looking over dozens and dozens of cards.. this obviously does not apply to the back..  and these standards... also dont seem to apply to vintage..  ..  i look forward to comments

Screenshot_20210828-183634_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210828-213223_Samsung Internet.jpg

CSG grading does look at the card’s primary front and back designs within the frame of the cardstock as intended by the original design. If you have any more questions about our grading criteria, check out the link. https://www.csgcards.com/card-grading/grading-scale/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But after looking at hundreds of your graded cards... you do not grade the back under the same standards as the front...  is csg going to update their standards for back centering?. Ive seen many cards with poor back centering get a 9...  while im fine with this.. you are doing your reputation a terrible disservice by not stating your quality standards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/30/2021 at 7:09 AM, Wheetie7 said:

But after looking at hundreds of your graded cards... you do not grade the back under the same standards as the front...  is csg going to update their standards for back centering?. Ive seen many cards with poor back centering get a 9...  while im fine with this.. you are doing your reputation a terrible disservice by not stating your quality standards

They are primarily grading with AI so I mean unless there is something wrong with their algorithms I don't really understand what you are getting at here. It's a computer that performs repeated tasks on cards and uses the same exact standards for each card. Not saying there can't be a flaw with the way the thing is designed to grade/measure, but my point is that it's going to be very consistent in its grading, which you are seeing to imply here that it is not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My point is..  they do NOT have centering standards for the back of a card stated in any way.  Do you understand that? I have seen many many a csg card that is a 9 mint.. but the back centering is closer to 70/30..   obviously they do NOT adhere to their standards on the card back.. i believe this is a horrible problem and needs to be fixed..

AND.  it seems they are judging centering on vintage card much softer.  I just received 2 different 8s with 70/30 centering on the card front..  and this seems consistent also..   

They need to explain these issues on a public scale

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/30/2021 at 10:51 AM, Wheetie7 said:

My point is..  they do NOT have centering standards for the back of a card stated in any way.  Do you understand that? I have seen many many a csg card that is a 9 mint.. but the back centering is closer to 70/30..   obviously they do NOT adhere to their standards on the card back.. i believe this is a horrible problem and needs to be fixed..

AND.  it seems they are judging centering on vintage card much softer.  I just received 2 different 8s with 70/30 centering on the card front..  and this seems consistent also..   

They need to explain these issues on a public scale

lmao what!?!?

What does "on a public scale" mean? That's not even a phrase lol

And bro the rep in this thread literally told you "CSG grading does look at the card’s primary front and back designs within the frame of the cardstock as intended by the original design." And the percentages are clearly stated on the page of the link she gave you. 

So, again, what are you getting at!?!?!? Bc if you are saying their grading on centering is inconsistent then you are doing exactly what I stated on my last response to you - you're claiming that their AI's judgement is off. I'm telling you that unless you are an AI expert or you are privy to CSG's internal processes on how their computer grades then your anecdotal evidence is nothing more than BS that should be disregarded. You're, essentially, saying your source right now is, "Just trust me guys!" And you want to place that against an AI system that is literally programmed to give consistent results?

Have a great day bc it's clear you are not understanding how *any* of this works. 

FYI, PSA allows up to 90/10 centering on the back and their cards sell, on average, more than 2X the amount of CSG cards of the same type and grade, so your BS about "allowing off-centered graded cards to grade high will hurt your product" is just that...BS.  


ETA: They don't have to put "We grade centering at 55/45 on the front and the back." If it says "centering is graded at 55/45" then just assume that is for front and back unless someone there tells you differently. 

You could always just call them and speak with someone there, as well. Anything other than you getting on here with your "But I swear they're at 70/30 on some!" 

 

Edited by ne1seenmykeys
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 do you agree csg grades the back centering much weaker than the front?  If not.. go look at 30 mint 9s graded cards..  you will see many of the backs are weak.. im ok with that.. but you have to state it..

2.  If you see the 2 cards attached to the orginal message..  they have worse than 70/30 front centering and still got an 8.. which should be a 6 under their stated standards..  .

I find this happens a lot in thier vintage grading..but not modern..  

It SEEMS like they have different standards for vintage..  the Larry bird attached also has 4 soft corners...  yes 4 lightly rounded corners..    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am waiting for my test sub to come back and get some first hand data.  I am like you, I am starting to really look at some of the vintage grading for CSG.  It is a lot easier to grade a modern - give it something 9-10 unless there is an obvious flaw and you can justify it.  The lead grader for CSG was the lead grader for BVG.  If the same standards for CSG vintage as were BVG, than you have your answer.  BVG cards were/are graded on a softer scale than PSA/SGC and BGS for that matter, hence the designation on vintage.  I don't even look at much BVG since you can expect it to be a full grade higher than SGC/PSA.  There is a reason they are 3rd in the pecking order for vintage.  For CSG's sake, I hope they ditched BVG style grading for more accuracy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/30/2021 at 2:06 PM, Wheetie7 said:

1 do you agree csg grades the back centering much weaker than the front?  If not.. go look at 30 mint 9s graded cards..  you will see many of the backs are weak.. im ok with that.. but you have to state it..

2.  If you see the 2 cards attached to the orginal message..  they have worse than 70/30 front centering and still got an 8.. which should be a 6 under their stated standards..  .

I find this happens a lot in thier vintage grading..but not modern..  

It SEEMS like they have different standards for vintage..  the Larry bird attached also has 4 soft corners...  yes 4 lightly rounded corners..    

i seen people get hit pretty hard on centering , i watched almost every csg reveal on youtube csg is more harsh on centering then not and really harsh on surface if csg gets any more tougher on grading no one is gonna send cards in, check out Deviationcards on youtube and Nunzo cards they both use csg and grade mostly vintage, Deviation cards collects all 1950s Browns cards, should give ya a good idea of the vintage accuracy, those 2 guys are seasoned vintage collectors and know there stuff very helpful for vintage collector looking to send cards to csg, hope that helps 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0