Expecting a whole lot more
2 2

18 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2021 at 10:55 PM, Wade McCurdy said:

Just had a 1998 Kobe Bryant Kick Start sell for $110.00 It was a 9.5 grade with a sub 10

Two Beckett 9.5's sold for $253 and $288 recently. Even a PSA 9 sold for $150+

I expected some difference, but not to this extent

But that's not CSG's fault.

Just the way the market is right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/24/2021 at 9:49 AM, Shockmaster said:

But that's not CSG's fault.

Just the way the market is right now.

its the market yes and its also it being a csg slab, i love csg slabs but the resale value is like 30-50% vs psa and bsg . but honestly you got a fair price based on what csg slabs are selling for .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CSG is doing everything right in terms of grading (turnaround times etc. are another matter).  Their slabs are the best in hand, and yet look the worst on a desktop or mobile.  PSA is very entrenched and it will take a long time for anyone to catch up.  But CSG is grading fairly, maybe even a bit too tough, and then putting your card in the best quality slab.  And then they are selling for barely above raw lol.  It makes no sense, but here we are.  The only way for all prices to rise on CSG slabs is if a bunch of 10s go for big money, but there is no market being set because the 10s are so scarce.  And maybe, MAYBE, the flip looks a little clunky with no subgrades on it.  Sorry, I'm all over the place here.  So bottom line: smart money is buying up cheap CSG slabs now for long term hold (for the investors). Quick flips is for SGC.  PSA and BGS are a sh!tshow and yet will remain #1 and 2 for the foreseeable future.  HGA is a joke, and yet if they go to just being a custom slab company (and not a grading company) they may come out looking like the smartest people in the hobby. End diatribe 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd say you probably have to use buy-it-now listings to get the best price...with a little wiggle room for an offer.  Be patient, get enough eyes on it, eventually someone will appreciate and value the card on its merits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is definitely a CSG buyer's market right now, especially for higher end stuff that can probably cross to PSA 9 or 10 (if they ever figure their house out). I do agree with most on this thread that CSG hasn't really reached critical mass yet in terms of your average collector punching in CSG 9.5 or CSG 10 to the feEbay search bar. That and the inventory is EXCEPTIONALLY low compared to PSA.  Just one example...

"2018 topps update juan soto psa" - 893 feEbay listings

"2018 topps update juan soto csg" - 30 feEbay listings

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/26/2021 at 10:23 AM, Shockmaster said:

CSG is a brand new company. Less than a year since they started taking submissions. I expect prices will climb when more people see the quality product CSG has to offer. You will see a real explosion of prices when CSG gets their registry up and running.

They are also getting some decent shine on social media lately from Hobby influencers.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And as JSRVA stated "It is definitely a CSG buyer's market right now, especially for higher end stuff that can probably cross to PSA 9 or 10" as the word gets around that you can get good deals on CSG slabbed cards, more and more interested buyers will be searching for CSG slabbed cards which should lower that 30 to 50% hit that you are receiving right now to something more reasonable.  The more searchers the more potential bidders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/23/2021 at 7:55 PM, Wade McCurdy said:

Just had a 1998 Kobe Bryant Kick Start sell for $110.00 It was a 9.5 grade with a sub 10

Two Beckett 9.5's sold for $253 and $288 recently. Even a PSA 9 sold for $150+

I expected some difference, but not to this extent

Just seeing this. I bought that card from you. Probably will crack it and send to PSA once fees get somewhat reasonable. The thing about CSG that I've noticed is that like others have said, it's a buyers market. Maybe some day they will catch up, but I'd never auction a CSG card again. I've done that and its been horrible for me every time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2021 at 2:32 PM, offcenter said:

Just seeing this. I bought that card from you. Probably will crack it and send to PSA once fees get somewhat reasonable. The thing about CSG that I've noticed is that like others have said, it's a buyers market. Maybe some day they will catch up, but I'd never auction a CSG card again. I've done that and its been horrible for me every time.

And how many horrible times did you have selling CSG cards?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/25/2021 at 12:53 PM, nbuff52 said:

CSG is doing everything right in terms of grading (turnaround times etc. are another matter).  Their slabs are the best in hand, and yet look the worst on a desktop or mobile.  PSA is very entrenched and it will take a long time for anyone to catch up.  But CSG is grading fairly, maybe even a bit too tough, and then putting your card in the best quality slab.  And then they are selling for barely above raw lol.  It makes no sense, but here we are.  The only way for all prices to rise on CSG slabs is if a bunch of 10s go for big money, but there is no market being set because the 10s are so scarce.  And maybe, MAYBE, the flip looks a little clunky with no subgrades on it.  Sorry, I'm all over the place here.  So bottom line: smart money is buying up cheap CSG slabs now for long term hold (for the investors). Quick flips is for SGC.  PSA and BGS are a sh!tshow and yet will remain #1 and 2 for the foreseeable future.  HGA is a joke, and yet if they go to just being a custom slab company (and not a grading company) they may come out looking like the smartest people in the hobby. End diatribe 

This guy knows wtf he's talking about. 100% agreed on all points!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/23/2021 at 7:55 PM, Wade McCurdy said:

Just had a 1998 Kobe Bryant Kick Start sell for $110.00 It was a 9.5 grade with a sub 10

Two Beckett 9.5's sold for $253 and $288 recently. Even a PSA 9 sold for $150+

I expected some difference, but not to this extent

Just a quick suggestion - I have been using CSG to grade higher end cards, and if I get a 9.5 then I will send those to PSA (or sometimes SGC if that makes more sense with turnaround time).

If you get a card that is above 100 consistently in a high grade (9.5+) then I'd definitely trust the fact that CSG grades tougher and probably send it to PSA once they re-open, assuming they come back with reasonable bulk prices.

Also, just FYI, SGC has a really incredible thing going right now. $30 grading and their turnaround times are under a month, so that would have been a viable option, too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2