• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proper card grading

4 posts in this topic

Hello, my name is Etienne Rodriguez with how the grading processing works.  For instance,. I send a card thru express thinking a card is a certain amount before grading but even after grading the price falls in a standard payment.  How does this get resorted and is their a price guide from CSG that is standard that can be compared to other guide books like PSA.  Thank you for your answers and even the what to do or be careful responses help!

On 8/20/2021 at 4:21 PM, Pierd said:

Hello, my name is Etienne Rodriguez with how the grading processing works.  For instance,. I send a card thru express thinking a card is a certain amount before grading but even after grading the price falls in a standard payment.  How does this get resorted and is their a price guide from CSG that is standard that can be compared to other guide books like PSA.  Thank you for your answers and even the what to do or be careful responses help!

I think what you're asking is about the declared value of a card?  The price you pay to CSG is based on your tier and any other additional things like subgrades.  The declared value is whatever you can find for comparative sales. I typically take an average of the most recent sales of that particular card. You can also use Beckett price guide I would guess. I'm not sure how often it gets updated, but value tends to flex weekly.

Don't ever assume your card is gonna get a 10.. After doing this for awhile with CSG, I personal will not use Express or walk-through... there is no need to pay that amount, knowing it super tough to get a 10... Now, if card is still a $1000+ card even in a 9, or 8, okay I will pay express... but truthfully, I have lost so much money on express... but that is just me...Not trying to cost CSG money, but being 100% honest based on my own cards... I have not sold any CSG cards for over $1000 yet... and I have had some "big" ones too.. even my GEM 10 Tatis yellow Border Bowman didn't sell for $1000.... all that extra money cost you profits.. I am now always gonna error on side of taking more time to grade, less to pay on grading tier.. 

Thank you everyone for all your replies..been very helpful and I hope the next guy can give you that amount of knowledge you shared with me..cause I do in the real world as well..thanks again!  It's like usual for me in this instance and that is back to the drawing board..any recommendations for good, reasonable graders??