• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do the graders at CSG know that on these 1979 Venorlandus know that the CORNERS are supposed to be rounded?? Fresh from packs,) issues with corners both graded an 8... Look at PSA 10, same corners.

21 posts in this topic

This ridiculous. I get it, centering is off wasn't expecting a 10, but this kinda , is why I am having real regrets about using CSG. Sadly, I have 40 more of these cards at CSG..  All these were in sealed sets, corners are EXACTLY how they are supposed to be. Why in the heck were these graded an 8? My guess is that the grader or the AI had NO idea these are supposed to be ROUNED..... and I got 2 of these back , one had an 8 on corners, another a 9... are they guessing?? Absolutely pathetic grades here. Wish there was some explanation. 

Screenshot (1045).png

Screenshot (1046).png

Screenshot (1047).png

Screenshot (1048).png

Screenshot (1056).png

I mean seriously, look at the PSA 10, picture 3, picture 4 CSG 8.... one of them is a joke show. Either the PSA 10, with hanging pieces off of it is whacked, or the graders at CSG are just guessing... I get being toughest grader... but this one about did me in... sadly, I have 2000 more cards at CSG, more if they ever find my lost box- -which has a  Kobe/Lebron RC in it, 100 Jeters, and 15 Standards(3 Harden Rcs, 2 Mantles) Been there since May, EXPRESS on the BOX.. still LOST... 

Screenshot (1058).png

Screenshot (1059).png

Screenshot (1061).png

Screenshot (1064).png

On 8/11/2021 at 2:39 PM, KBost33 said:

My guess is that the grader or the AI had NO idea these are supposed to be ROUNDED.....

If this were true (and it isn't), you would have received a lower Corner score than an 8.

Edited by PunsRTonsOfFun
I was unnecessarily mean.

ya , if they were thinking square and it was that round thats a 2 in corners 3 overall. an 8 is near mint, and nothing that old is getting a 10 ever. the top right is not mint. theirs 3 mint corners and a near mint corner.  near mint + 8.5 overall. or a gma 10

guessing would be saying 8  in the dark without using hands. "hmm, it smells old, ill guess 8."  *lights come on. "i was close"

Edited by psa10

On 8/12/2021 at 8:14 AM, psa10 said:

ya , if they were thinking square and it was that round thats a 2 in corners 3 overall. an 8 is near mint, and nothing that old is getting a 10 or even a 9.5.

Why not? So old cards can't gem out? 🤔 so, wish I would have known that, would have saved so much money,  and not sent in stuff from that era to CSG, becuase I know PSA can get 10s in era. If there was a pop report we could know if that was correct.  

On 8/12/2021 at 6:25 AM, KBost33 said:

Why not? So old cards can't gem out? 🤔 so, wish I would have known that, would have saved so much money,  and not sent in stuff from that era to CSG, becuase I know PSA can get 10s in era. If there was a pop report we could know if that was correct.  

2 8s is automatic 8  .subgrades are cockblockers. without sub grages they say is this card perfect, mint, or sh.it? and mint gets the nod

Edited by psa10

this isnt beckett these guys arent walking price guides . i think when you say the value is high,  they put it in the high value pile. they let the new people grade the under 100 dollar stack because they dont trust them with good ones they will bend it or steal it.

Edited by psa10

On 8/12/2021 at 9:38 AM, psa10 said:

another thing i think a lot of the graders dont know if cards are commons or high value ,they dont speak english but they show up and they work for cheap. the boss shows them what a psa 1 is then a 2 then a 3, they catch on. i think when you say the value is high,  they put it in the high value pile. they let the new people grade the under 100 dollar stack because they dont trust them with good ones they will bend it or steal it.

What?? You know this for a fact? That they are using people who don't know anything?? I have never heard this before. 

On 8/12/2021 at 9:16 AM, psa10 said:

2 8s is automatic 8  .subgrades are cockblockers. without sub grages they say is this card perfect, mint, or sh.it? and mint gets the nod

Yea, I have learned I hate Sub-grades.. they are waste of money. 

On 8/12/2021 at 10:48 AM, Steven M Volden said:

That should tell you something about PSA. The corner has cardboard fingerlings coming off of it and it still gets a 10. PSA gives a 10, even if a card has 60/40 centering.

This. I don't understand why people on this forum constantly compare CSG to PSA. By now, everyone in the hobby should realize and understand CSG is much tougher and has much higher grading standards compared to PSA. PSA's lax grading standards is one of the main reasons they're so popular and yet people continue to overpay for PSA cards. PSA is for the casuals and flippers.

On 8/12/2021 at 10:36 AM, LAgambit said:

Hard to tell from the photos your posted  - try taking some at an angle that shows the corners and that are clear. 

Also that centering is an 8. Not sure what grade you were expecting here. 

9's...9.5s.. I don't send in anything hoping for an 8.. ever. Been doing this long enough to know what an 8 looks like... esp when I am paying $30+ a pop on these....And I know centering is a nightmare on these..

On 8/12/2021 at 10:58 AM, PunsRTonsOfFun said:

This. I don't understand why people on this forum constantly compare CSG to PSA. By now, everyone in the hobby should realize and understand CSG is much tougher and has much higher grading standards compared to PSA. PSA's lax grading standards is one of the main reasons they're so popular and yet people continue to overpay for PSA cards. PSA is for the casuals and flippers.

Because they are what we are used too. Why do guys on this board, and online get so defensive and take every post that is an ounce critical as though they are getting rejected by the love of their life? I really have never seen anything like the CSG diehards/Loyalists that will fight you to the end if you are critical. Obviously, I like CSG, I sent them 2000 cards. BUT NEWSFALSH it is 100% okay to like PSA as well. 

Your comments on here, if someone asks a question, or critques CSG, are always, "Casuals and Flippers", well some of us do this a business. It is 100% okay to question service, and return on investment. 

For the record, PSA does not have LAX standards, I just got a pack fresh pulled Jordan SP1 that got a 5. So, the myth they are easier, etc. Is that, a myth.

I told a guy yesterday,  PSA is a TOYOTA or Lexus... CSG, right now, is a KIA/HYUNDAI... FACT. For the record, I was a Kia General Manager, and I actually know the Kia is a great car, has great features, and even has better features than a TOYOTA. BUT, you aren't gonna get return trade-in value on a KIA like you do a Toyota.  DOES NOT MEAN  people overpay for Toyotas. They buy Toyotas, and pay more cause they know name, and recognize the brand. BUT once they drive, and buy a nice KIA Sonata, they usually come back to Kia, and buy more. Doesn't mean Toyotas instantly suck... why is so hard for guys who like, love CSG, to  figure that out that it applies to PSA too?? PSA doesn't suck, they make more money on resell than CSG. I have had enough cards come back from CSG to see results. Doesn't mean CSG sucks... and it is 100% OKAY for guys to compare... this is a chat board.

Guys like you are probably the reason I was kicked out of 2 CSG online rooms, cause they got their feelings hurt cause I was honest about CSG vs PSA. I personally like both, but I am not an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, or a shareholder in either. And yes, I am just critical on PSA too.   You aren't the all knowing, and the guys in those CSG rooms, they aren't all knowing either.. and neither and I am. I do know sports cards, and the market, and obviously sales.

Also, I have 0 issues with you responding anyway you want to me, I can take it, I am big ole boy. I am just here to chat, and talk about CSG, cards, and yeah, will continue to compare all the companies.. Good, Bad, or Ugly.   IF you aren't in some of those Facebooks, CSG rooms, you should be, they are perfect for your ideology. 

Have  a great day! :)

Edited by KBost33
typed to fast and had typos... my bad

On 8/12/2021 at 6:25 AM, KBost33 said:

Legit not trying to puke on here but it’s all on you for not knowing that PSA is *by far* the easier grade, esp on older cards. 

CSG’s initial scanning system is 100% AI, so there is no bias whatsoever. The machine isn’t going to mess up. If it says you got 8 or 8.5 corners then you just didn’t look at them properly 🤷🏻‍♂️

Don’t send old cards to CSG unless they are solely for your PC. If you want to make money off older cards you gotta send to PSA 

On 8/12/2021 at 12:06 PM, KBost33 said:

Because they are what we are used too. Why do guys on this board, and online get so defensive and take every post that is an ounce critical as though they are getting rejected by the love of their life? I really have never seen anything like the CSG diehards/Loyalists that will fight you to the end if you are critical. Obviously, I like CSG, I sent them 2000 cards. BUT NEWSFALSH it is 100% okay to like PSA as well. 

Your comments on here, if someone asks a question, or critques CSG, are always, "Casuals and Flippers", well some of us do this a business. It is 100% okay to question service, and return on investment. 

For the record, PSA does not have LAX standards, I just got a pack fresh pulled Jordan SP1 that got a 5. So, the myth they are easier, etc. Is that, a myth.

I told a guy yesterday,  PSA is a TOYOTA or Lexus... CSG, right now, is a KIA/HYUNDAI... FACT. For the record, I was a Kia General Manager, and I actually know the Kia is a great car, has great features, and even has better features than a TOYOTA. BUT, you aren't gonna get return trade-in value on a KIA like you do a Toyota.  DOES NOT MEAN  people overpay for Toyotas. They buy Toyotas, and pay more cause they know name, and recognize the brand. BUT once they drive, and buy a nice KIA Sonata, they usually come back to Kia, and buy more. Doesn't mean Toyotas instantly suck... why is so hard for guys who like, love CSG, to  figure that out that it applies to PSA too?? PSA doesn't suck, they make more money on resell than CSG. I have had enough cards come back from CSG to see results. Doesn't mean CSG sucks... and it is 100% OKAY for guys to compare... this is a chat board.

Guys like you are probably the reason I was kicked out of 2 CSG online rooms, cause they got their feelings hurt cause I was honest about CSG vs PSA. I personally like both, but I am not an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, or a shareholder in either. And yes, I am just critical on PSA too.   You aren't the all knowing, and the guys in those CSG rooms, they aren't all knowing either.. and neither and I am. I do know sports cards, and the market, and obviously sales.

Also, I have 0 issues with you responding anyway you want to me, I can take it, I am big ole boy. I am just here to chat, and talk about CSG, cards, and yeah, will continue to compare all the companies.. Good, Bad, or Ugly.   IF you aren't in some of those Facebooks, CSG rooms, you should be, they are perfect for your ideology. 

Have  a great day! :)

Bro the problem is 100% with YOU. You are actually putting in a master class in projection, bc again, it’s YOU who came in here completely exasperated (look at the title of this post - it’s the most absurd thing I’ve ever seen) that you got an 8 on an old- card from the toughest grading company in the game. 

We’re not saying to you we don’t like PSA. We’re saying you need to know the market and you need to know how to best use each grading company. 

For me, with CSG’s low price on bulk, I send them a mixed bag of cards I know I want for my PC and will more than likely never sell, modern and ultra modern cards I would have sold raw on eBay and higher priced cards that I want to flip, bc I want to use CSG’s tougher grading scale to see if it’s worth it to send to PSA. 

It sounds to me you couldn’t wait for PSA to open back up and sent CSG 2000 cards without really knowing what the deal is 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️.

On 8/12/2021 at 9:31 PM, ne1seenmykeys said:

Legit not trying to puke on here but it’s all on you for not knowing that PSA is *by far* the easier grade, esp on older cards. 

CSG’s initial scanning system is 100% AI, so there is no bias whatsoever. The machine isn’t going to mess up. If it says you got 8 or 8.5 corners then you just didn’t look at them properly 🤷🏻‍♂️

Don’t send old cards to CSG unless they are solely for your PC. If you want to make money off older cards you gotta send to PSA 

No joke. I have 3000 at PSA too. I picked these up after shutdown. I was not gonna pay $300 a pop. Why would you puke? Also, probably have graded more cards than you, so kinda know what I am looking for. Thank you for your opinion.  And yes, the AI can mess up. Also, they have some human grading as well. 

Smh...

On 8/12/2021 at 9:37 PM, ne1seenmykeys said:

Bro the problem is 100% with YOU. You are actually putting in a master class in projection, bc again, it’s YOU who came in here completely exasperated (look at the title of this post - it’s the most absurd thing I’ve ever seen) that you got an 8 on an old- card from the toughest grading company in the game. 

We’re not saying to you we don’t like PSA. We’re saying you need to know the market and you need to know how to best use each grading company. 

For me, with CSG’s low price on bulk, I send them a mixed bag of cards I know I want for my PC and will more than likely never sell, modern and ultra modern cards I would have sold raw on eBay and higher priced cards that I want to flip, bc I want to use CSG’s tougher grading scale to see if it’s worth it to send to PSA. 

It sounds to me you couldn’t wait for PSA to open back up and sent CSG 2000 cards without really knowing what the deal is 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️.

Bro, (🙄🙄), do people not like to discuss cards?? 

FYI- I know the market, only been doing this 30yrs. I love how guys like you are the all knowing experts. LOL. 

I do this for a living, and did very well last year. 

So, it sounds like to me you don't know what you are talking about. I really don't need your advice.  This post was just to stir some conversation. I enjoy chatting with most people. I don't know what it is about CSG die-hards, but it's like a crazy cult that you can't say anything about CSG or they loose their bowels. 

Most absurd thing you have ever seen?? Lol!! 

You guys act like it is impossible btw to get a high grade at CSG on anything non-modern. I am sure they, CSG, loves that advertising.  Why would anyone send them anything non-modern?  

Maybe I sent CSG 2000 cards cause I ran my business so well, that cash isn't an issue. And I know I can sell them. 

Let's do this, let's block each other... I have never interacted with you on your drivel nonsense posts on here, yes, I have seen them, but just scrolled past the stupidity..

We're done here. Didn't ask for your "expertise" in first place. See ya.