• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Perfect VS Pristine on cards without subgrades

13 posts in this topic

I asked this exact question to CSG customer service last week on the phone.  They confirmed that with no subgrades, a card could possibly receive a pristine 10 but not a perfect 10.

Edited by Burly

HI Matt,

I can't argue with your statement. That said, the $10 charge is a way for them to keep grading costs low.

The added value of the subgrades to the consumer is easily regained in values either for resale or long term hold. IMHO

Jim 

Green, Darrell   87 Topps #77.jpg

2 hours ago, Robert Grades said:

I had this Tom Brady graded here a few weeks ago. Does anyone think if I sent it back for re-grading WITH subs, I might get a 10? Is that possible or just throwing money out the window.

CSG1000565-001_REV@300x511.jpgCSG1000565-001_OBV@300x511.jpg

No.  Adding sub grades to it won't make it a 10.  The conversation here is if you don't use sub grades and get a 10 then you won't ever know if your 10 is a Pristine (3 out of 4 10 grades) or a Perfect (all 4 10's).  If you got a 9.5 then it indicates that you got at least 2 9.5 sub grades even if they don't show on the card.  The best case scenario for you is that your card will come back as 9.5 with 2 9.5 and 2 10 subs.

21 hours ago, tiedyejim said:

HI Matt,

I can't argue with your statement. That said, the $10 charge is a way for them to keep grading costs low.

The added value of the subgrades to the consumer is easily regained in values either for resale or long term hold. IMHO

Jim 

Green, Darrell   87 Topps #77.jpg

That may be true... but I don't want to be covering the costs to keep the prices down for the bulk with no subs. I'd prefer to see that cost come up a few bucks and have the subs drop the same amount.

Instead of $8 and $18 I'd rather it be $11 and $15. That serves the purpose of them most likely getting more people to pay $4 more for subs. They'd get people to pay $15 instead of $8.

-Matt