• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Received submission-many have plastic sleeves in them

9 posts in this topic

Hi 

Received my submission of 60 vintage basketball cards, mostly 1970s standard sized cards. The slabs are very nice, feel good and i love how crystal clear they are. I also like the digital images where I can see so many of the defects the cards had that are difficult to see without the high-tech equipment. So I understand the tough grades I received when I had the cards pre-graded a bit higher.

About 11-12 of my cards have an inner sleeve/penny sleeve still in them. Why is that? 

It is strange because many of the cards are from the same year, i.e. 1972 Topps, and some have the sleeve and others do not. In one case where 2 of the same cards were submitted and one was encapsulated with the sleeve and the other was not.    So they are the same standard card size and it looks like they used different inner rails for aligning the cards. It is just very inconsistent, almost random, especially when they are cards from the same year.

The inner-sleeve does not reflect well in the light. It shows off kind of wavy. I would have preferred all my cards to be encapsulated naked.

It happens when a card is slightly oversized for their regular holder and has to be placed in the larger holder...but the plastic sleeve is needed for it to fit properly and not move around.  I guess also could happen if a card was just a little small for their regular holder and needed the sleeve not to sit securely.  Even cards from the same set/year do get cut differently and don't always come out the exact same size.

I received a bulk order back today and had two identical cards (from 2020 Topps Chrome Ben Baller edition set). One was in a plastic sleeve encapsulated in a "thick holder." The other card was just in a regular holder and was not in a sleeve. Go figure.

Same thing happened to me. Well I think it did. I can see all the images for the cards that were in plastic sleeves, but the majority of my bulk submission does not have images yet and it was shipped last week. So I assume those cards were slabbed differently and hopefully they didn't forget to image them.

Some cards I knew they weren't going to be without the sleeve. T206, 1941 Play Ball, and 1950's Bowman I knew were going to be in plastic sleeves and crimped. However, many additional cards like the OP were imaged and I was disappointed to see them in plastic sleeves. I had a 1974 Winfield, 1979 Ozzie Smith, 1981 Topps Baines, 1972 Topps Oscar and Wilt, 1968 Bob Griese, and 1974 Harold Carmichael all put into plastic sleeves when I had cards from the same years that I assume weren't. I won't know until the update the images or I get my submission in hand. Anyone else have delays in cards being shipped and not having images available?

Same thing happened to me....submitted 8 cards from the same set (2021 Topps Finest Basketball) and two of them came back in a sleeve in a slightly larger case. All these cards should be the same size and only require a standard slab....not super happy about it. 

On 7/21/2021 at 6:38 PM, BigE1965 said:

Hi 

Received my submission of 60 vintage basketball cards, mostly 1970s standard sized cards. The slabs are very nice, feel good and i love how crystal clear they are. I also like the digital images where I can see so many of the defects the cards had that are difficult to see without the high-tech equipment. So I understand the tough grades I received when I had the cards pre-graded a bit higher.

About 11-12 of my cards have an inner sleeve/penny sleeve still in them. Why is that? 

It is strange because many of the cards are from the same year, i.e. 1972 Topps, and some have the sleeve and others do not. In one case where 2 of the same cards were submitted and one was encapsulated with the sleeve and the other was not.    So they are the same standard card size and it looks like they used different inner rails for aligning the cards. It is just very inconsistent, almost random, especially when they are cards from the same year.

The inner-sleeve does not reflect well in the light. It shows off kind of wavy. I would have preferred all my cards to be encapsulated naked.

i just submitted a 72 pistol pete i hope it doesnt have the sleeve on it! ill be pissed especially if it grades well