• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on adding subgrades?

18 posts in this topic

I was doing some research and I came to the conclusion that it really doesn't add to the value that much, but I was wondering what you guys would think / what experiences you've had or if you've seen otherwise.

On 7/21/2021 at 1:03 AM, Drewbone said:

I was doing some research and I came to the conclusion that it really doesn't add to the value that much, but I was wondering what you guys would think / what experiences you've had or if you've seen otherwise.

def get subs on the higher end cards. I think it all comes down to what you are grading. dont pay 25 to grade a card worth 10 bucks if that makes sense. I have been buying CSG slabs with subgrades for under $10, dont be the guy giving away his money.

I follow CSG cards pretty closely on eBay (I think they're significantly undervalued right now) and cards with subgrades nearly always sell for more money than cards without. The same is true for BGS cards. It sucks because collectors don't seem to care that PSA and SGC cards don't have subgrades, yet if it's a BGS or CSG card, it almost needs to have them. Seems like a double standard.

Vintage subs don't matter

Modern - any card worth grading is worth getting subs on . If you're subbing 1 dollar base cards , either dont, or inspect the heck out of them and only send the ones that you think will 9.5 and above. Or else you're just throwing your time and money away. 

Also a bunch of no-subs on ebay just cheapens the look of the brand. Consistency is key. 

People mainly want the subgrades on csg slabs due to the design. All of that empty space looks odd if there are no subgrades. They should just add a light green bar that matches the logo along where the subgrades are, 1/4 inch wide or something. Black text would still easily be visible.

3 hours ago, Rob420 said:

it all depends on the card , not every card is worth the sub grade , PSA and SGC dont use them and they do fine , its a double standard , but id sub grade higher dollar items only or certian players worthy of it . 

In my opinion, if it is not worth getting subgrades it is cheap junk not worth grading. Grading cheap junk just to flip for a few extra bucks is what gave these companies such a huge backlog.

On 7/27/2021 at 1:08 PM, PunsRTonsOfFun said:

I follow CSG cards pretty closely on eBay (I think they're significantly undervalued right now) and cards with subgrades nearly always sell for more money than cards without. The same is true for BGS cards. It sucks because collectors don't seem to care that PSA and SGC cards don't have subgrades, yet if it's a BGS or CSG card, it almost needs to have them. Seems like a double standard.

Just wanted to +1 the CSG undervalued statement. It's not a great time to be a CSG seller but if you're a long-term believer in their grading product you can find Gem Mint 9.5s for as low as 25-30% of what a PSA 10 goes for. That gap will certainly narrow in the years to come.

16 hours ago, jsrva said:

Just wanted to +1 the CSG undervalued statement. It's not a great time to be a CSG seller but if you're a long-term believer in their grading product you can find Gem Mint 9.5s for as low as 25-30% of what a PSA 10 goes for. That gap will certainly narrow in the years to come.

i have had no problem getting the right price on slabs with or without subgrades , its a double standard as psa and sgc dont use them and the sell fine , sub grades are cool but it shouldnt be a extra charge as the do the sub grades durning the grading process its greed on Csg along with charging for thicker slab ( what other company does that ?. NONE ) again CSG got greedy , they dont honor the turn around times from when your card is submitted they only honor the current turn around time and thats bs , I sent a march sub in and it was a 60 day turn around well just a tad over 4 months later i got my order back smh , I got some great grades and some okay one and a mislabeled slab that im still waiting on CSG to respond to my email about getting it corrected but they havent . Just not a good look on a new company . 

2 hours ago, Rob420 said:

i have had no problem getting the right price on slabs with or without subgrades , its a double standard as psa and sgc dont use them and the sell fine , sub grades are cool but it shouldnt be a extra charge as the do the sub grades durning the grading process its greed on Csg along with charging for thicker slab ( what other company does that ?. NONE ) again CSG got greedy , they dont honor the turn around times from when your card is submitted they only honor the current turn around time and thats bs , I sent a march sub in and it was a 60 day turn around well just a tad over 4 months later i got my order back smh , I got some great grades and some okay one and a mislabeled slab that im still waiting on CSG to respond to my email about getting it corrected but they havent . Just not a good look on a new company . 

Its not a double standard at all. They use a totally different grading scale - PSA / SGC gives out 10's at a significantly higher rate than BGS or CSG.

Folks want 10's or they want to know why their card got a 9.5 (ie subs) 

As more of the CSG slabs hit the market, I wish that they had not given an option for subs. Either all with or all without. Normally I think having more choices is better, but in this case I wish they hadn't given the option. If they had gone the "no subs" way, they probably could have used a smaller flip. If they had gone the "with subs" way, the current flip would be fine because all cards would have subs. That's the main reason why I don't like the BGS slabs without subs; it just looks a little off. CSG should have gone one or the other, just not both.

Edited by iam12fear
spelling

i wasnt gonna get em but changed my mind, especially for the higher value cards, i think it helps if ya only get hit on one thing that lowers the grade, all 10's and a 9 on centering looks better then just a 9.5, and i kinda wanna know where i got hit with high value card, and overall flip looks better with em, for a $500 card and up ill cough up the extra $10