• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Practically no CSG slabs at the Culture Collision show in ATL.

17 posts in this topic

They're still a new company in the world of grading. They've only been open for about 5 months and many are still waiting for their bulk slabs from April to finish grading. So if you think about it, there are really only about maybe 3 months worth of graded cards out there. I'm not surprised that you are not seeing very many of them. At the same time, look at SGC. They've been around for years and you still don't see a lot of them. Unfortunately, even though I like SGC and CSG, you just won't see much of them out there compared to BGS and PSA. Those two were the standard for grading for years and PSA still is.

2 minutes ago, tmoore_25 said:

They're still a new company in the world of grading. They've only been open for about 5 months and many are still waiting for their bulk slabs from April to finish grading. So if you think about it, there are really only about maybe 3 months worth of graded cards out there. I'm not surprised that you are not seeing very many of them. At the same time, look at SGC. They've been around for years and you still don't see a lot of them. Unfortunately, even though I like SGC and CSG, you just won't see much of them out there compared to BGS and PSA. Those two were the standard for grading for years and PSA still is.

I wasn't expecting a ton, but still surprised at there being virtually none. I expected anything high end to be PSA/BGS/SGC. Considering that's a pretty big show for Atlanta I thought I'd see a lot more.

4 hours ago, Yeahiwasder4dat said:

Saw one guy with like 500 slabs, but that was it. Was surprised no one was dealing them. I was mostly sitting with a pile of wax since mine haven't made it through grading yet, but I figured there would be way more CSG slabs than there were.

i have no problen selling csg slabs 

On 7/19/2021 at 10:18 AM, Yeahiwasder4dat said:

I wasn't expecting a ton, but still surprised at there being virtually none. I expected anything high end to be PSA/BGS/SGC. Considering that's a pretty big show for Atlanta I thought I'd see a lot more.

yeah at philly show i didnt see any, and when it comes to trading and most auctions its all psa and bgs, its gonna take a couple years but csg accomplished a ton in 1 year, the pop report, registry and they seemed to surpass HGA and close to or equal to SGC who has been grading sports cards since 1998, maybe I over stated but just to be compared to a 23 yr old company is pretty good. I think csg is on the right track hopefully they keep there prices the same to stay competetive because when psa opens bulk it will really put csg and even sgc to the test 

People have to stop being so short sighted and understand this is a marathon, not a sprint. CSG is just one year in and they already have a pop report, reputation as the toughest grading company, and the best slab (not label) in the industry. That's a pretty great first year and a solid foundation to build upon.

On 3/25/2022 at 3:13 AM, PunsRTonsOfFun said:

People have to stop being so short sighted and understand this is a marathon, not a sprint. CSG is just one year in and they already have a pop report, reputation as the toughest grading company, and the best slab (not label) in the industry. That's a pretty great first year and a solid foundation to build upon.

I agree with the premise and base sentiment described above. That said, I'm not sure the decision to change the standards used for defining centering and "perfect" reflect the concept that CSG wants to maintain the reputation as the industry's toughest grader. A big part of why I liked CSG (even though it had awful market pricing) was the way that they graded. Price reception didn't matter to me, as I felt that demand would eventually respond to the restricted supply.

Now, the simultaneous decisions to: A) reset 9.5 Gem Mint as 10 Gem Mint; B) eliminate 10 Pristine and incorporate it into 10 Gem Mint; C) lower the threshold for a "10" in centering from 50/50 to 45/55; and D) eliminate subgrades, created a perfect storm for destruction of the status as paragon of integrity with grading strictness.

I don't think the decision was an incorrect one, (after all, CCG is a corporation with shareholders to answer to) but it certainly places profitability and marketing ahead of maintaining a high virtue of grading standards.

Better CSG get/got through the pain of changing the whole system and annoying alot of existing customers early into their life. Over time this will just be a blip and most in the hobby wont even realise it happened. The old labels I think will end up having some sort of collectability on their own as CSG is no doubt here to stay. 

Edited by CarpetPunter

On 4/12/2022 at 5:03 AM, northkorea said:

I agree with the premise and base sentiment described above. That said, I'm not sure the decision to change the standards used for defining centering and "perfect" reflect the concept that CSG wants to maintain the reputation as the industry's toughest grader. A big part of why I liked CSG (even though it had awful market pricing) was the way that they graded. Price reception didn't matter to me, as I felt that demand would eventually respond to the restricted supply.

Now, the simultaneous decisions to: A) reset 9.5 Gem Mint as 10 Gem Mint; B) eliminate 10 Pristine and incorporate it into 10 Gem Mint; C) lower the threshold for a "10" in centering from 50/50 to 45/55; and D) eliminate subgrades, created a perfect storm for destruction of the status as paragon of integrity with grading strictness.

I don't think the decision was an incorrect one, (after all, CCG is a corporation with shareholders to answer to) but it certainly places profitability and marketing ahead of maintaining a high virtue of grading standards.

50/50 around for a gem was too strict csg wouldnt make it, collectors were getting angry n resentful with there submissions, they couldnt compete with any other grader. there scale is still one of the strictest amongst graders, i dont think they chose profitability over grading standards they chose to survive in a very competitive market, new graders open up every day TAG, Arena, FCG, if csg dont listen to the customer just gonna be another grading acronym. Now they are top 4 grader in only a year with a good reputation for accurate n consistent grading with the best slab not too shabby !! 

On 10/5/2022 at 10:03 PM, micky 8 said:

50/50 around for a gem was too strict csg wouldnt make it, collectors were getting angry n resentful with there submissions, they couldnt compete with any other grader. there scale is still one of the strictest amongst graders, i dont think they chose profitability over grading standards they chose to survive in a very competitive market, new graders open up every day TAG, Arena, FCG, if csg dont listen to the customer just gonna be another grading acronym. Now they are top 4 grader in only a year with a good reputation for accurate n consistent grading with the best slab not too shabby !! 

Now that CCG has decided to change yet again, what are your thoughts on the choice to reintroduce pristine and eliminate perfect?

On 6/25/2023 at 5:29 PM, northkorea said:

Now that CCG has decided to change yet again, what are your thoughts on the choice to reintroduce pristine and eliminate perfect?

Im dissappointed the perfect 10 was great it was rare i seen good value in its future, i think the change was to accomodate the tcg guys because their are so many pristines and very few perfects on the sports side,  They had no choice, they knew the tcg submitters were going to be mad about this move cause it wont match their comics they didnt want to screw them on the pristine grade too. Im glad they still have only 2, 10 grades tho a gem 10 and a pristine 10 it wont affect sports much since it was so rare so im aight with it, im more dissappointed they did away with the gold on the flip on the logo but im sticking with em, its a move that had to be done to compete with psa in the long run ill get my cards reholdered to match.. You??

On 6/27/2023 at 6:13 PM, micky 8 said:

Im dissappointed the perfect 10 was great it was rare i seen good value in its future, i think the change was to accomodate the tcg guys because their are so many pristines and very few perfects on the sports side,  They had no choice, they knew the tcg submitters were going to be mad about this move cause it wont match their comics they didnt want to screw them on the pristine grade too. Im glad they still have only 2, 10 grades tho a gem 10 and a pristine 10 it wont affect sports much since it was so rare so im aight with it, im more dissappointed they did away with the gold on the flip on the logo but im sticking with em, its a move that had to be done to compete with psa in the long run ill get my cards reholdered to match.. You??

I still think they should have retained the 50/50  centering requirement for perfect.

Remember, under the green system, a 10 wasn’t gem; a 10 meant pristine or perfect.

The gem mint standard (9.5) for the green labels allowed 55/45 one way and 50/50 the other, and the mint was 55/45 all around, so it was possible to get a 55/45 gem mint green. It just wasn’t possible to get a perfect… and it was extremely rare to get a pristine.

So, a green “perfect” needed 50/50 all around. A green “pristine” needed 55/45 one way and 50/50 the other, and a green “gem mint” needed 55/45 both ways.

The black “perfect” allowed for 55/45 both ways, which is where I’ve always held contention. At least, with the CGC switch, they use vague terminology, so no one can really complain about the grade.

On 7/8/2023 at 3:53 PM, northkorea said:

I still think they should have retained the 50/50  centering requirement for perfect.

Remember, under the green system, a 10 wasn’t gem; a 10 meant pristine or perfect.

The gem mint standard (9.5) for the green labels allowed 55/45 one way and 50/50 the other, and the mint was 55/45 all around, so it was possible to get a 55/45 gem mint green. It just wasn’t possible to get a perfect… and it was extremely rare to get a pristine.

So, a green “perfect” needed 50/50 all around. A green “pristine” needed 55/45 one way and 50/50 the other, and a green “gem mint” needed 55/45 both ways.

The black “perfect” allowed for 55/45 both ways, which is where I’ve always held contention. At least, with the CGC switch, they use vague terminology, so no one can really complain about the grade.

it is  50/50 around for a pristine, 55/45 for a gem still i think thats good, the only grade thats vague is the 9.5 but like andy said pretty much a gem with a slight flaw, I did like that perfect flip a lot im debating on buying one but buying a card for the flip n not the card is tough to do for me and i cant afford to buy a perfect in a card i like ha, the discount for members is nice 13.50 or 12$ economy thats sweet gonna sub some soon i wanna change out my csg flips but im not crazy about sending my high value cards via fedex or usps for a 5$ flip, it'll give me grey hair until i get my cards back, you gonna get your csg flips changed?