• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

if u submit anything vintage expect to be disappointed

2 posts in this topic

i remember back in the 90's mr mint use to hound me for my cards when i use to set up at the rothstein show in white plains.  you see, not many collected and demanded high grade cards back then.  but for me it was the only way to go.  i made my collection based on it.

fast forward to the present day.  grading has changed.  that is unless your on the inside, a power submitter or know somebody.   

the process is too subjective to whomever is doing the one grading the cards, whether i's a 21 yr old who doesn't know the intricacies of certain cards to another person whos mowing through the grading process to meet quotas or get a bonus.

i literally feel sick to my stomach.  every card i sent in was magnified by myself and put to a high scrutiny.  sadly many cards i sent in was 1 full grade off what it could be.   there were some closer to the vest in terms of being accurate or fair, but most of them i was raped.  i wasn't rewarded with one over grade.  

when you get cards that come back 6.5 that are better looking than psa 8oc you know you're in trouble.

vintage is grade on a much harder scale

10 is impossible

9 is the new 10

cards graded 8 now are the old 9/10 grades

some cards graded 7 are real head scratchers.   (these cards could easily be graded up to 9)

cards graded 6.5 that are pack fresh and sharp corners are nicer than psa 7.0 and most 8oc

i wouldn't be nearly as upset if i just lol'd the joke of it all.  but to see some of these glaring mistakes while 100's of other example that were graded higher while looking worse only effect the bottom and value.

did i mention csg damaged one of of my more expensive cards and graded it with the damage they gave it.

i would estimate that  half of these cards submitted will need to be broken out they were so grossly under graded.

never again

don't believe me.   send in some vintage.  but just prepare yourself for the worst

Edited by who's fabio?