• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading for display

6 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm more of a newbie for to the hobby. I've graded some of my higher valued cards (was pleasantly surprised to get a PSA 7 for a bird/magic rookie) but I want to grade some card collections for safety and display purposes only. Some of these cards are semi-valuable, but most are serial numbered non-rookie cards (for example, I've gone on a Jokic kick where I have gotten every donruss card from each year. Only the rookie is valuable). 

Any advice on who to grade from if resell is not a priority? I was thinking CSG as they have the bulk 50 option for $12 per card. Turnaround time isn't that important to me as I'm not trying to sell. Let me know any thoughts. Thanks!

For me, the advantages for sending to CSG for a PC card that I have no intention of selling is that: 1. the slabs are beautiful; 2. they are cheap compared to PSA or BGS. I usually send economy and request subgrades as I like the subgrades for my PC. The quality and feel of the slabs is premium. At the moment, their resell value is not much as most of the public aren't even aware of them yet, their slabs are only starting to appear in the market and most buyers are still approaching them with a wait and see approach. Sending economy is cheaper but they come with a long turnaround time. I don't mind a long turnaround time as the cards are going to my PC and not intended for resell. If I were reselling, if it were high $$$ I would send to PSA atm or if lower to mid tier you can consider SGC. I believe over time they will continue to gain recognition and climb up value wise as a grader.

I am only using CSG for pc cards. I want my slabs to be uniform and look alike. Like Ashky said, the slabs are beautiful and the cost is the lowest around right now. I would take it a step further though and suggest that you do your own slab research and see what you prefer. Buy a slab from each company and compare the quality and what appeals to you. I would not even consider sending a card for my pc or to display to PSA(resell is different). I cant stand the way the cards slide around in the psa slabs and they feel and look cheap to me. IMO BGS and CSG slabs are the best quality and look the best for display. I have voiced my opinion on SGC around these boards and I would stay away from them for pc(which is a shame because I like the black border, I just don't like the way cards can get stuck behind or damaged from the same border). If you have not held a CSG slab in your hand, you really need to. You think you like it now, but wait'll you drive it.

Edited by MountainG
Couldn't resist the Vacation reference

On 7/26/2021 at 8:56 AM, MountainG said:

I am only using CSG for pc cards. I want my slabs to be uniform and look alike. Like Ashky said, the slabs are beautiful and the cost is the lowest around right now. I would take it a step further though and suggest that you do your own slab research and see what you prefer. Buy a slab from each company and compare the quality and what appeals to you. I would not even consider sending a card for my pc or to display to PSA(resell is different). I cant stand the way the cards slide around in the psa slabs and they feel and look cheap to me. IMO BGS and CSG slabs are the best quality and look the best for display. I have voiced my opinion on SGC around these boards and I would stay away from them for pc(which is a shame because I like the black border, I just don't like the way cards can get stuck behind or damaged from the same border). If you have not held a CSG slab in your hand, you really need to. You think you like it now, but wait'll you drive it.

Thats a good suggestion. Try a few slabs of each. Lately I sent a few relic refractor cards and patch cards to SGC for resale as they have quick turnarounds. The grades fair but pretty disappointed that the cards move around a lot in the slabs. I'll try to upload a link on a video here but i'll make a video on youtube. The relic refractor card I sen t to CSG is pretty snug, my old relic card from BGS is pretty snug too in comparison.

On 7/15/2021 at 10:52 AM, ivandrago1996 said:

Hello all,

I'm more of a newbie for to the hobby. I've graded some of my higher valued cards (was pleasantly surprised to get a PSA 7 for a bird/magic rookie) but I want to grade some card collections for safety and display purposes only. Some of these cards are semi-valuable, but most are serial numbered non-rookie cards (for example, I've gone on a Jokic kick where I have gotten every donruss card from each year. Only the rookie is valuable). 

Any advice on who to grade from if resell is not a priority? I was thinking CSG as they have the bulk 50 option for $12 per card. Turnaround time isn't that important to me as I'm not trying to sell. Let me know any thoughts. Thanks!

CSG all the way bc of all of what the previous posters mentioned, plus the value of the slabs can only go up from here, so if CSG one day becomes a major player in the market then the value of your collection will increase as their reputation does.