• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Penny Sleeves in slabs
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I just received a 25 card economy order back, and I found three (3) slabs with the cards slabbed with penny sleeves.  It creates a strange wave on the card, and I think takes away from the nice clear slabs.  It looks like is the result of slightly different slabs being used.  The slabs with penny sleeves used seems slightly thicker, and the card guide holders within the slabs are much larger that the actual card size (these are all standard size cards).  I can see why the grader would want to use penny sleeves in these "larger" slabs in order to keep the card from floating around within the slab, but it seems strange to have differences.  Has anyone else noticed this, and is it possible to get the cards re-slabbed into the more appropriately sized slabs that don't require a penny sleeve?

I tried to scan pictures of both the larger (card on the left) and the regular (card on the right), but realizing that my scanner isn't great.   

Jordan front.jpg

Jordan back.jpg

10 hours ago, zuxi said:

I just received a 25 card economy order back, and I found three (3) slabs with the cards slabbed with penny sleeves.  It creates a strange wave on the card, and I think takes away from the nice clear slabs.  It looks like is the result of slightly different slabs being used.  The slabs with penny sleeves used seems slightly thicker, and the card guide holders within the slabs are much larger that the actual card size (these are all standard size cards).  I can see why the grader would want to use penny sleeves in these "larger" slabs in order to keep the card from floating around within the slab, but it seems strange to have differences.  Has anyone else noticed this, and is it possible to get the cards re-slabbed into the more appropriately sized slabs that don't require a penny sleeve?

I tried to scan pictures of both the larger (card on the left) and the regular (card on the right), but realizing that my scanner isn't great.   

Jordan front.jpg

Jordan back.jpg

On top of that it looks super cockeyed, I'm assuming it moves a bit in the sleeve? Not very aesthetically pleasing 

Just now, KBost33 said:

Yes, this is first one I have gotten back like this.  You can see the "wavey" look on back for sure. They don't look as good as they do without penny sleeve. 

20210626_012942.jpg

Posted the Soto below to compare.  The non-penny sleeve looks much better. Ohtani holder was thicker version btw.. 

20210623_235342.jpg

I'm 99% sure those are the "thicker" cases that everyone has been waiting for (and yes, I know they aren't actually thicker). It allows them to slab any width card without worrying about the cards fitting within the 4 plastic pieces to hold the card in place. 

I'm going to guess that the cards that are in the sleeves are slightly larger than they should be, thus in the past they would have just returned them saying that they were too big for their holders and no charge.   But now that they have larger holders, they can slab the "miscut" cards, but with the sleeve.

Edited by Rufuss C. Kingston