• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

We don't know the value of our card, and therefore don't know which grading submission to pick. What do I do?

6 posts in this topic

We have a 1986 Topps 161 Jerry Rice Rookie Card which (to my eyes) looks to be in mint condition. I've seen prices range widely on what it sells for so I do not know what submission type to submit it for. Is there a person we contact before sending the card to pick the right submission? (Scratches in picture are to the case, this card was put into this case immediately after purchase)

Snapchat-1495233668.jpg

Snapchat-1892279143.jpg

On 6/17/2021 at 4:19 PM, jwsanderson said:

We have a 1986 Topps 161 Jerry Rice Rookie Card which (to my eyes) looks to be in mint condition. I've seen prices range widely on what it sells for so I do not know what submission type to submit it for. Is there a person we contact before sending the card to pick the right submission? (Scratches in picture are to the case, this card was put into this case immediately after purchase)

Snapchat-1495233668.jpg

Snapchat-1892279143.jpg

Thank you for your question. Good resources for determining the value of your cards are completed eBay auctions and the posted prices of large sports card dealers. It doesn't have to be exact, but a realistic average estimate would work.

Hey there,

I just clicked on the completed/sold listings on ebay and this is what came up. Looks like 7-7.5 is the popular grade from csg even though that doesn’t mean much. IMO, Rice is retired so you don’t have to worry and watch his upcoming season. Because it’s not a time sensitive issue, I would go with either Express or even Standard if you’re willing to wait. Walkthrough doesn’t make much sense because you’d have to hope for an 8+ to make any kind of money. One thing I’ve quickly learned…collectors love their subgrades. Be sure to include that add on for $9. Good luck. 

2D8F2D6D-BD2A-4F49-BC5D-F1BFBDA7EADD.png

It doesn’t really matter the value is only for insurance purposes you can put whatever you want basically just take a guess as for the service level use whichever suits your pocketbook but I would suggest sending that card express. For just the one it will come out to be $92 total with shipping. And you will have it back in 2-3 weeks. I have one on way back that was entered on 6/16 just so you can have a reference. Also if it’s your first order be sure to call accounting at csg to update your payment info or it will hold you up until you do