• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

collecting vintage
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I collected more prolific in the early 2000's but started sporadic from 97. Stopped in 07 with the exception of a box or two in 2010 and 2014. Just got back from hibernation last NOvember so have a stockpile of cards from collecting and busting cases and boxes. So most of my cards ar from that era. I have everything from low ends to high ends and have started moving into one of my dreams which was to collect vintage cards. I moved some cards to acquire a PSA 7 Fleer JOrdan RC. Now my next goals are Bird/Johnson/Erving RC graded and a couple of HOFers that are graded. I feel that it is insane how the market is paying $$$$ for ultra modern RCs while these rare vintage RCs of HOFers go for equal to or much less than that. The potential for a drop off on the ultra modern vs the potential for continued increase in vintage just makes me want to move more cards toward vintage. For those who have been collecting vintage for a long time, any advice you can give for someone wanting to add more vintage to his collection? I am scared of fakes so I usually just buy from LCS I trust and also graded cards from reputable companies.

It is going to depend on your goals. Are you looking at buying vintage cards strictly as an investment and/or for flipping VS collecting players/cards you like which hopefully will appreciate in value over time?

I have been buying/selling almost exclusively vintage cards for 30+ years and the biggest difference (Outside of the past 18 months) is that vintage material rarely is something you buy and flip 2 weeks later for a big markup. Prices of quality material tend to increase over time, but it sometimes can take years to see significant changes. I always suggest that people identify a few players they like and then some cards for each of those players you want. Do your research to see what the market is on those cards and then start shopping. I personally stick to graded cards for most anything I buy as an investment as they just way easier to resell, tend to have a better ROI vs raw and have a significantly lower risk of altered/fake cards. Unfortunately most shops and smaller shows offer a very limited selection of vintage material so you will likely have to look online or go to a larger show to find things you want. Buying raw vintage off ebay or some user group can be a real shoot as most people don't grade properly (Some on purpose, some from lack of knowledge)  I would say start small and see how you like what you buy before buying anything more expensive.

Feel free to use my website as a reference tool on vintage material and shoot me any q's you have.

Tim Payne

PayneSportsCollectibles.com

4 hours ago, Dodgerfan001 said:

It is going to depend on your goals. Are you looking at buying vintage cards strictly as an investment and/or for flipping VS collecting players/cards you like which hopefully will appreciate in value over time?

I have been buying/selling almost exclusively vintage cards for 30+ years and the biggest difference (Outside of the past 18 months) is that vintage material rarely is something you buy and flip 2 weeks later for a big markup. Prices of quality material tend to increase over time, but it sometimes can take years to see significant changes. I always suggest that people identify a few players they like and then some cards for each of those players you want. Do your research to see what the market is on those cards and then start shopping. I personally stick to graded cards for most anything I buy as an investment as they just way easier to resell, tend to have a better ROI vs raw and have a significantly lower risk of altered/fake cards. Unfortunately most shops and smaller shows offer a very limited selection of vintage material so you will likely have to look online or go to a larger show to find things you want. Buying raw vintage off ebay or some user group can be a real shoot as most people don't grade properly (Some on purpose, some from lack of knowledge)  I would say start small and see how you like what you buy before buying anything more expensive.

Feel free to use my website as a reference tool on vintage material and shoot me any q's you have.

Tim Payne

Thank you, I will check your website out. I guess I am more of a collector and investor. I rarely sell but when I do like I did in last two Dallas card shows, they tend to be in the high ends. I do want to try out getting a table next year though as I get to understand the hobby more. I have a huge capital of cards from busting cases in my heyday. I do want to get into vintage basketball and last card show moved some Jordan and Lebron to acquire fleer Jordan PSA 7 RC and a couple of other PC high end stuff. My next goal is the bird/johnson/erving graded card. My cards are mostly modern so the fleer Jordan is actually my first vintage. I plan to diversify my portfolio of cards and move a lot kore of my moderns. I want to acquire graded vintage cards of a lot of the HOFers I admired ie Russell, chamberlain, Alcindor, Willis reed, Maravich, Havlicek, Jerry West, Dave bing, mychal Thompson, Barkley, Stockton, Malone etc

i like csg for vintage i seen a few csg vintage reveals seem pretty fair not too harsh at all, sometimes i wander bout fresh out the pack 87 topps why they dont do better but paper junk wax tuff i guess, I got some vintage plan on grading soon early 80s to late 80s i personally look for old boxes for sale to help prevent altered or fakes not 100 proof but helps, raw vintage on ebay makes me nervous but sometimes you can vet vintage collectors on IG or ebay there typically more passionate bout the hobby and enjoy buying selling n talking classic cards, Amazon got vintage too more expensive but worth it 

On 6/8/2021 at 5:12 PM, Dodgerfan001 said:

Tim Payne

thanx planning on getting more into vintage soon, Do you ever worry that vintage will crash due to the younger generations being unfamiliar with the players, I think jackie, mantle, hank always gonna be safe but what about lesser known great players? Its a concern of mine, I might pick up an Earl Monroe rookie (basketball) north philly native incredible player but im thinkin in 20years is anyone gonna know who earl monroe is? Will i be throwing my money away? or will vintage continue to age like wine with younger sports fans researching n keeping interest in the history of americam sports? 

On 1/1/2023 at 7:58 PM, micky 8 said:

thanx planning on getting more into vintage soon, Do you ever worry that vintage will crash due to the younger generations being unfamiliar with the players, I think jackie, mantle, hank always gonna be safe but what about lesser known great players? Its a concern of mine, I might pick up an Earl Monroe rookie (basketball) north philly native incredible player but im thinkin in 20years is anyone gonna know who earl monroe is? Will i be throwing my money away? or will vintage continue to age like wine with younger sports fans researching n keeping interest in the history of americam sports? 

I'd say the stars will remain popular as long as the sport is popular. Babe Ruth ain't going away. Jackie Robinson. Mickey Mantle. 

Some of the smaller HOF names might not see the same interest as those big names, but I really doubt there would be any sort of crash unless the sport fell out of popularity. 

On 1/12/2023 at 10:05 AM, ckycards said:

I'd say the stars will remain popular as long as the sport is popular. Babe Ruth ain't going away. Jackie Robinson. Mickey Mantle. 

Some of the smaller HOF names might not see the same interest as those big names, but I really doubt there would be any sort of crash unless the sport fell out of popularity. 

thanx for getting back that makes sense