• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie question - Why is there such a big difference in price for PSA, BGS, SGC, CSG and others

13 posts in this topic

What are the main reasons there is such a big difference in prices sold for PSA, BGS, SGC, CSG and others.  For example, I just purchase a 1996 SKYBOX PREMIUM ROOKIE #55 Kobe Bryant Rookie Card PSA for $250 but I also got a SGC 9 of the same card for $110. 

21 hours ago, robotur said:

What are the main reasons there is such a big difference in prices sold for PSA, BGS, SGC, CSG and others.  For example, I just purchase a 1996 SKYBOX PREMIUM ROOKIE #55 Kobe Bryant Rookie Card PSA for $250 but I also got a SGC 9 of the same card for $110. 

Its one of those "Well its just the way its always been" things. PSA has been around the longest and has the most graded cards in the wild. I also think the biggest reason for PSA success is they only have one single grade and do not do 9.5 half grades. Because of this you will see many more PSA 10's than any other grading company, they are almost impossible with Beckett of CSG. For right or wrong, good or bad people want a 10 and will pay more for it. At the end of the day if we are grading 50 cards and we want the biggest value reward most of the time you are better sending cards to PSA. Until collectors pay equal money for a PSA 10 vs a True Gem Mint 9.5 card this is just the way its going to be.

Bottom line, reputation. People don't know CSG yet, they know PSA. CSG has a nicer holder, for sure. CSG IS A WAY, WAY tougher grader. As a seller, PSA brings more all the time. I have had CSG 10s and PSA 10s of same card, at same time, it isn't even close yet. 

Same reason why NY YANKEES tickets are more money than KC Royals tickets. Both a MLB teams. Both have won WSeries. But the reputation, and market of NY Yankees make Yankees a pricier ticket. Even if the Royals win five WS in a row, I am gonna assume Yankees tickets will always be more, and Yankees gear, memorabilia will cost more. Simple as that. 

I have a ton of cards at CSG and a bunch at PSA, I really hope both do great! 

On 7/11/2021 at 1:29 PM, KBost33 said:

Bottom line, reputation. People don't know CSG yet, they know PSA. CSG has a nicer holder, for sure. CSG IS A WAY, WAY tougher grader. As a seller, PSA brings more all the time. I have had CSG 10s and PSA 10s of same card, at same time, it isn't even close yet. 

Same reason why NY YANKEES tickets are more money than KC Royals tickets. Both a MLB teams. Both have won WSeries. But the reputation, and market of NY Yankees make Yankees a pricier ticket. Even if the Royals win five WS in a row, I am gonna assume Yankees tickets will always be more, and Yankees gear, memorabilia will cost more. Simple as that. 

I have a ton of cards at CSG and a bunch at PSA, I really hope both do great! 

Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio, Mantle, Berra, Maris, Jeter probably has a little something to do with it. 

In my opinion, if you are not a flipper/investor trying to turn a quick profit and are simply a collector then purchase the cards you like at the best price and simply use the fact that they are graded as somewhat of a safeguard that the cards will be secured in a holder and validated at being genuine (although that's a whole other topic with the increase in slab scams).  I'm not in it for the profit so I'm glad that CSG is still affordable enough to slab cards of favorite players/small sets and keep everything safe, secure and looking uniform.

On 6/2/2021 at 1:26 PM, Greg Christiansen said:

Flippers like PSA because they have an extensive following, data base for population, resources for graded prices. It seems like there are so many people invested in PSA graded cards that they're afraid that the PSA value of their slabs would go down with the slightest gust of wind (CSG).

BGS seems like there are more collectors involved. not saying PSA does not have a collector following but the majority are flippers.

SGC.... to me is where people were going to just get a reasonably priced graded card, until recently when they went nuts on the submission price.

Personally i treat all grades the same and if i can get a 10 cheaper from slab to the other by about 25% I choose the cheaper slab. 9.5's kill PSA on both ends. companies that grade to a 9.5 give the buyer an advantage because everybody knows a PSA 10 can be an actual 10 or a 9.5 and 9.5s are usually cheaper. I love 9.5s no matter where it comes from you know extra time was taken to show that it isn't perfect but it's in darn good shape.

That's my own humble opinion. I'm 100% positive there will be more + hate mail.;)

I love that CSG is so diverse in the work they do throughout CCG.

I would pretty much point to this post as the most accurate response. He pretty much hit the nail on the head with every sentence. 

On 9/13/2021 at 12:20 PM, DJ Mahk said:

FWIW I've been selling my CSG slabs to local dealers who I'm able to quickly educate on who CSG is and I'm getting FMV without question.  All my cards have been either vintage (50s-70s) or 80s (Rice RC, Jordan 2nd yr).

When you say to local dealers who are you talking about? I'm definitely curious about this, for sure. 

I am using this newer sports card database platform called Card Hedge & they have CSG sales data !. It goes back 2 years and is free for you to see any card price they have currently (I think like almost 50k) and see comps for up to 30 days of history. To see past that, add your collection for value or records, etc, is where you’d have to pay for the sub. I use it & think it's a good option to look info up compared to other databases out there. It tracks Card Prices, Collection Management of your sports card collection, Portfolio Management to determine the value of each card you add and see your sales point data compared to the purchase date & cost. They have these app tools too ! Card Comparison Tools I use to see sales data between the 3rd party grading vendors. Dynamic Search, Analyzed Trend & Quick Auction Finder search. Hope this helps !

Card Hedge:  https://www.cardhedger.com/?via=rober