• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Evidence of Trimming??

17 posts in this topic

I sent in a 1993 Derek Jeter SP Foil rookie card, which I had opened from a pack myself when I was a kid, and sent it in to be graded only to get it returned to me with 'Evidence of Trimming'.

I'm 100% certain it has never been altered in any way as it has been in my possession since it left its wrapper. What a load of BS.

yeah, they reject a lot of older cards for this. They need to take into consideration that machines back in the day weren't cut perfect. I feel like they mark it as altered just so they can keep the money. It's getting ridiculous. 

I got 2 of my first order of 5 cards sent back for that.  They basically stole my money because their computer doesn't understand that cards had different sizes sometimes back then.  One was a Bowman Brady rookie and the other was a Kobe Bowman's Best rookie.  I got both in packs and they went right in plastic (not screwdowns). Haven't touched them in 20 years.  

4 hours ago, Sean Power said:

I sent in a 1993 Derek Jeter SP Foil rookie card, which I had opened from a pack myself when I was a kid, and sent it in to be graded only to get it returned to me with 'Evidence of Trimming'.

I'm 100% certain it has never been altered in any way as it has been in my possession since it left its wrapper. What a load of BS.

I can't imagine how someone could even trim one of those foils without destroying the edge. Just the size alone they usually wouldn't say ev/trimmed, would have to be something about how an edge is cut. Do you have a scan of the card you can post?

The card did spend most of its life in a screwdown holder because I was young and didn't know any better back in the 90s. Could that be a reason for it to come back as trimmed? I could see that a screwdown might compress the edges but that wouldn't shorten the height/width at all...

3 hours ago, Sean Power said:

The card did spend most of its life in a screwdown holder because I was young and didn't know any better back in the 90s. Could that be a reason for it to come back as trimmed? I could see that a screwdown might compress the edges but that wouldn't shorten the height/width at all...

Did they specifically say it was trimmed?  I know other grading companies will consider cards to be altered if they were flattened at all from being in a screw down holder.  

2 hours ago, rms13 said:

Did they specifically say it was trimmed?  I know other grading companies will consider cards to be altered if they were flattened at all from being in a screw down holder.  

I had my prized card, my 1986 Fleer Jordan RC and it came back to me as evidence of being altered/trimmed...This was back in March, so now I'm just waiting for them to announce when they will slab cards as authentic altered.

12 hours ago, rms13 said:

Yeah it was marked specifically as evidence of trimming, not evidence of alteration/restoration.

On 5/28/2021 at 9:04 AM, Sean Power said:

Yeah it was marked specifically as evidence of trimming, not evidence of alteration/restoration.

If it had a EV grade with it in the returned card then it means evidence of trimming or other alteration.  I went over this with them on the phone and told them that the cards I sent were not trimmed and they told me then the card was probably too thin which indicates that it may have been pressed.  (that wasn't true either, but if you had your card in a screw down then it's very possible).

3 hours ago, Andy Gardecki said:

If it had a EV grade with it in the returned card then it means evidence of trimming or other alteration.  I went over this with them on the phone and told them that the cards I sent were not trimmed and they told me then the card was probably too thin which indicates that it may have been pressed.  (that wasn't true either, but if you had your card in a screw down then it's very possible).

Having been pressed down in a screwdown was most likely the case with my Fleer Jordan RC that came back EV/trimmed since I bought mine from a legitimate seller who was an LCS owner about 5 years ago.

I got a 1955 killebrew back EV.  Bought it in the late 1980s.   Once I scrutinized the card I agree with CSG it has an unnatural edge likely trimmed.  Scammers have been altering cards for a long time.  I appreciate the authentication and scrutiny given these cards as others came back graded.   Since I don’t chase 9s and 10s (fantasy of perfection -lol) I value the authentication above all else.  

On 5/27/2021 at 10:53 PM, ItismeH said:

I had my prized card, my 1986 Fleer Jordan RC and it came back to me as evidence of being altered/trimmed...This was back in March, so now I'm just waiting for them to announce when they will slab cards as authentic altered.

Was just wondering if you ever did anything with your Jordan rookie like send it to another grading service?   I had the same issue you did with my Jordan rookie.  You responded to my post from April 2021 in another thread.   I was devastated to put it mildly when my card came back  EV/trimmed.  It was the exact same size as all my other 86 Fleer cards.   I stewed over it for a few months then decided what the hell and sent it to SGC.   Guess what, it came back graded a 8.  Then I sent it to PSA for a crossover grade and they also gave it a 8.    You may want to try another grading service as a "2nd opinion"  instead of waiting for CSG to grade it as just Authentic.   Just a suggestion.  Anyway, would love to hear any updates on the card if you resubmit it somewhere.   

On 5/29/2021 at 3:09 PM, ItismeH said:

Having been pressed down in a screwdown was most likely the case with my Fleer Jordan RC that came back EV/trimmed since I bought mine from a legitimate seller who was an LCS owner about 5 years ago.

Same thing happened to my 1993 SP Derek Jeter. Teenage me had kept it pressed down in a screwdown and CSG understandably sent it back EV/Trimmed. Sent it to SGC and they actually graded it. Whatever technology CSG is using is ridiculously impressive and not something utilized by the other grading companies. As more collectors begin to understand that, CSG should (and probably will) gain a large following. Between their best in the industry slab and tough grading standards on condition and alteration, it's becoming pretty obvious CSG is step above the other grading companies right now. And eventually, that's going to matter more than the acronym on the slab label.

On 1/19/2022 at 11:15 AM, PunsRTonsOfFun said:

Same thing happened to my 1993 SP Derek Jeter. Teenage me had kept it pressed down in a screwdown and CSG understandably sent it back EV/Trimmed. Sent it to SGC and they actually graded it. Whatever technology CSG is using is ridiculously impressive and not something utilized by the other grading companies. As more collectors begin to understand that, CSG should (and probably will) gain a large following. Between their best in the industry slab and tough grading standards on condition and alteration, it's becoming pretty obvious CSG is step above the other grading companies right now. And eventually, that's going to matter more than the acronym on the slab label.

yeah its annoying when it happens to your card but in the overall scheme of things its playing it safe, any fakes, copies or altered cards dont have a chance at csg which is a great thing, with the printers scanner technology  and money in the hobby these days you can never be too safe its just security, if a customer is angry that his card wasnt trimmed a company can handle but slabbing a fake jordan rc can destroy a grading company especially a company new to sports card grading