• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CSG slab resale values

31 posts in this topic

I was curious how the sell values are looking for those who have already sold CGC slabs.  I have about 400 cards I plan on having grades some bulk some not with subs. Kobe rookies, Shaq rookies, various Jordan cards, 90s football and baseball star players as well like Jeter and Chipper Jones. Majority were pack fresh to holders. 
Plan to possibly try some with pwcc marketplace auctions. 
this will be my first time grading cards... but all my research definitely shows PSA the current clear leader for value...  was also thinking maybe will have to hold on to CSG for values being sold at to catch more wind. 

appreciate anyone’s feedback ;)  I do love the CSG slabs I’ve seen with subgrades.. 

Edited by Gottsword
misspelling

Definitely choose whatever company, service level or slabs you like most. I recently bought a LeBron card in a CSG slab and it is definitely beautiful and sturdy. I'm in the process of hopefully getting my Jordan RC in a CSG slab. Of course only time will tell how CSG slabs fair in the secondary market. Good luck!

Edited by ItismeHerb
typo

I wouldn't worry about this. There's a lot of hype around a certain grading company right now, but at some point, collectors will wake up and realize the condition of the card is what matters, not the slab the card is in. Right now, the only cards I'm buying are CSG or SGC 9.5s and 10s. They sell for 75% less than a PSA 10 and I know I'm getting the same card in better condition. Can't help but think many in the hobby have lost their minds or, at the very least, are acting in a very short sighted manner.

That's what I'm hoping as well. I'm thinking a CSG that grades well with sub-grades  should be dang obvious the card is in good shape.  I'll have over 100 Michael Jordan cards graded after all this is said and done, it will be interesting to be what looks like one of the first of many of these cards  to be in CSG slabs.    Thanks for the feedback..

What’s your feeling on selling CSG slabs right now? I got two Kobe Topps RC back graded 9.5, but interest on eBay seemed sluggish so I pulled the one I was trying to sell for now.  Got asked why I didn’t use PSA.  Think it would be wise to hold on for a bit and see if interest in CSG increases?

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Amundson said:

What’s your feeling on selling CSG slabs right now? I got two Kobe Topps RC back graded 9.5, but interest on eBay seemed sluggish so I pulled the one I was trying to sell for now.  Got asked why I didn’t use PSA.  Think it would be wise to hold on for a bit and see if interest in CSG increases?

I don't think it's going to be a matter of CSG interest increasing. I think (hope) people are going to wise up and realize there's no reason PSA should be the industry standard. It's going to be difficult for them to expand their team significantly without a drop in quality. This is something they can't afford as they're already seen as the easiest and most lax of the major grading companies (which is why they receive the volume they do). They have also been front and center for every major grading scandal. People asking why you didn't use PSA are only showing their inexperience and lack of knowledge in the hobby. At some point, the actual condition of the card is going to matter, which is why I'm focusing on CSG and SGC.

9 hours ago, John M Young said:

I recently received some cards back from CSG and sold a Jeter rookie for fair value. My suggestion to you is list the card for what you want it to sale for as a"buy now " or best offer listing. Some may try to offer you way less, just stick to the price you want it to sale for, eventually it will sell. Especially has hi HOF induction gets closer. 

+1

On 3/25/2021 at 9:16 PM, Gottsword said:

I was curious how the sell values are looking for those who have already sold CGC slabs.  I have about 400 cards I plan on having grades some bulk some not with subs. Kobe rookies, Shaw rookies, various Jordan cards, 90s football and baseball star players as well like Jeter and Chipper Jones. Majority were pack fresh to holders. 
this will be my first time grading cards... but all my research definitely shows PSA the current clear leader for value...  was also thinking maybe will have to hold on to CSG for values being sold at to catch more wind. 

appreciate anyone’s feedback ;)  I do love the CSG slabs I’ve seen with subgrades.. 

If you are in the business of selling cards then times couldn't be any better to get graded with CSG. Sure the resale value will be slightly higher with PSA but right now time is the most important factor. Can a seller wait over 1 year to get their cards back? I just submitted a large lot and by the time they are done, CSG cards will be all over the ecommerce sites for at least 4 months. So far I am pleased with sales results from EBay.

Anyone sell online in Facebook groups? I have my own breaking page, but I am on about 10-15 sites. Haven't seen too many CSG cards popping up yet in the rooms. I hope they do well. I do a bulk of my selling in the rooms on facebook.

On 4/1/2021 at 1:02 PM, musakk said:

CSG is part of a much larger company that has a strong reputation in other collectibles. I know in the coin world, their sister organization (NGC) is considered one of the grading companies that is well respected. When choosing an alternative to PSA, the years of experience and established reputation in coin grading drew me to CSG. The market will follow. Personally, I'm not concerned about the resale value being compromised because they are not PSA.

However, I keep crow at a low simmer in my crock pot, just in case I need to eat it...

This is also why I was intrigued and gravitated toward CSG. Their parent company is already the industry standard in coins and comics. I’m pretty confident they’re going to add sports cards to that list in due time. Every CSG review I’ve seen so far seems to indicate they’re the new standard for tough grading. Eventually, the actual condition of the card and not the grading label is going to matter.

On 3/25/2021 at 11:16 PM, Gottsword said:

I was curious how the sell values are looking for those who have already sold CGC slabs.  I have about 400 cards I plan on having grades some bulk some not with subs. Kobe rookies, Shaq rookies, various Jordan cards, 90s football and baseball star players as well like Jeter and Chipper Jones. Majority were pack fresh to holders. 

I would avoid PWCC like the plague. They are criminals.

3 hours ago, FCT4NYI said:

I would avoid PWCC like the plague. They are criminals.

Why do you say that? I've just noticed many of their auctions get more bids, and sell values are quite a bit higher.

6 hours ago, Gottsword said:

Why do you say that? I've just noticed many of their auctions get more bids, and sell values are quite a bit higher.

If all you care about is money, go ahead use them. There are a LOT of allegations against them and they are currently embroiled in PSA & BGS's FBI investigation for corruption. For me a couple of extra dollars isn't worth it to me to use a company that employs card doctors, been accused of card swapping and forging autographs. Let's not even talk about having PSA on their payroll to get inordinate amounts of 10 GEM MINTS. 

On 3/30/2021 at 2:23 PM, KBost33 said:

Anyone sell online in Facebook groups? I have my own breaking page, but I am on about 10-15 sites. Haven't seen too many CSG cards popping up yet in the rooms. I hope they do well. I do a bulk of my selling in the rooms on facebook.

Its tough to tell when our submissions are backed up to the parking lot. I imagine shipping containers in the employee parking spots getting filled so much for that employee of the month spot.