• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CSG Realized Prices

6 posts in this topic

Would be great to have a thread analyzing realized prices of CSG cards. Ideally there are similar comps as well.

I have been trying loosely track this, and this AM noticed on my ebay watch list two similar David Robinson cards which caught my eye:

9.5 CSG sells for $46, roughly halfway between what a a PSA 9 and 10 should sell for according to PSA (https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/basketball-cards/1990-skybox/david-robinson/summary/306619)

Here is the ebay listing https://www.ebay.com/itm/402837796595

And ending at the same time, a PSA 9 David Robinson sold for $16.50 https://www.ebay.com/itm/402837796490

This is the first time I have noticed CSG selling for almost exactly what a PSA would sell for (yeah, PSA doesn't have subs, but you know what I mean).

I am cautiously optimistic that CSGs tough grading standards are being recognized with good auction prices. I'd love to see other data if you have it.

I can appreciate this on a low value card like this, especially in PSA 9 condition.  What I want to see is an uptick in value for high value cards where the difference between a PSA 10 And CSG 9.5 right now is so large that it's not worth trying to sell any of them yet.  I've played with putting a high value card 9.5 out on eBay for a slightly less value than PSA 10 for the same card, but I haven't even been able to attract an offer.

I'm confident that this gap will start to close, but it might take some time.

2 hours ago, Andy Gardecki said:

I can appreciate this on a low value card like this, especially in PSA 9 condition.  What I want to see is an uptick in value for high value cards where the difference between a PSA 10 And CSG 9.5 right now is so large that it's not worth trying to sell any of them yet.  I've played with putting a high value card 9.5 out on eBay for a slightly less value than PSA 10 for the same card, but I haven't even been able to attract an offer.

I'm confident that this gap will start to close, but it might take some time.

The problem with companies that regularly give 9.5 as a gem mint designation is that the end buyer isn’t going to pay the same money (or even close to it) for a ‘not quite perfect’ card that they would spend on a ‘perfect 10’ from psa…even though the cards may be identically nice. 

The companies that use sub grades and frequent 9.5 GM designations technically have the superior grading scale and system, but collectors and investors just want to feel like they have a perfect card by seeing that magical number 10. The 9.5 ends up being almost a put-off. 

My personal research has CSG prices running 55/60% of what PSA gets.

I’m sure the numbers change based on the specific years and card sets of each person’s interest 

I really appreciate a post like this but all I can say is that it's too early. CSG just opened doors in mid February. Maybe in 3 more months and when there's a population report available, we'll have a better picture of the market. So I'll come back in mid August and see where we're at. 

3 hours ago, ItismeH said:

I really appreciate a post like this but all I can say is that it's too early. CSG just opened doors in mid February. Maybe in 3 more months and when there's a population report available, we'll have a better picture of the market. So I'll come back in mid August and see where we're at. 

So true! In a rational market, the pop report should correlate with auction prices. BUT, since SGCs pop report indicates they are tougher grades than PSA, yet PSA gets materially higher auction prices vs grade, I remain skeptical.

But agreed on its too early and pop report needed.  Great point.