• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Review of Jordan Refractor with CSG Customer Service

31 posts in this topic

On 5/22/2021 at 12:29 PM, rms13 said:

Crack and resubmit somewhere else.  It seems like CSG is one of the toughest graders which I see as a good thing.  I have PSA 10 cards with obvious dings on a corner.  For what it’s worth there are a lot of people on Blowout complaining about how strict PSA has been with recent returns 

yeah i seen some recent psa reveals seen some harsh grades it might depend on the grader or sick of the reputation for being too lenient

On 5/19/2021 at 7:12 PM, MDBLAW said:

That’s why I wrote customer service and sent them the pictures. I needed an explanation and obviously I didn’t get subs so I’d like to know because the corners are sharp, the edges are perfect the centering is the only thing that I can see that might’ve been slightly off, and the surface was perfect under 30x lighted magnification. There certainly isn’t enough to downgrade it to a 7.5. I’ll let you know what they say if they respond.

sometimes its the etching, the etching could be off or flattened i guess, those cards tuff grades but a 7.5 harsh 

On 11/24/2021 at 6:45 PM, bball8418 said:

Every card I have seen has been graded way too hard on surface. If this keeps up what's the point of losing money on every card just to get "tough" (overgraded) cards to submit with another company or not get any value out of. I have 2 cards I submitted and 2 I have bought on eBay, all 9's and I can't find anything wrong with them. If they are doing 30x magnification that's way to much! These are the best slabs on the market for clarity and feel. But overgrading cards just to not seem overly easy is garbage and is effecting peoples resale value in a very bad way. The majority of people get cards graded to help with resale value and 9's aren't selling for even raw prices.

greening is a tuff pill to swallow, cant believe someone on this chat heard of it, thanx for the update I was curious what brought that down, resell prices for csg are going up a little especially for higher value cards theres evidence that csg's strategy of tuffer grading is working a little check out a youtuber who compares slab prices csg is selling for substantially higher then psa n sgc but mostly for cards over 5G's but itll trickle down to lower end cards eventually, hopefully 

On 12/17/2021 at 4:47 PM, Finster said:

I hear you -- Don't feel bad -- I just got 2 orders back with over 300 cards.  I will be cracking over 200 of them out of their worthless holders!!!

I have been grading cards since the 90s -- nobody has tried to insult my intelligence like this in a long time.   Lots and lots of 7.5s and 8.5s -- and cards that should have been easy 9s or higher.  Out of 128 cards in my last order --- 4 cards earned better than an 8.5 --- and NONE abouve a 9!  This is from a company who has 3 grades above a 9! 

maybe your eye isnt as good as ya think i watched hundreds of csg reveals and been gettin my own cards graded there might be 1 or 2 dissappointing grades but for the most part you can see where ya got hit especially if ya get subgrades ya got 124 cards of less then 8.5's that is crazy!! and your plan is to crack all 124 cards under 8.5 and get all grades above 9? If you do that successfully I will give you my entire collection! no wildly_fanciful_statement but you said 200 cards your cracking and resending if you get a grade above for all them cards ill give you my collection! 🤝 maybe give me a decent card if ya fail after all im puttin up alot ( and ya gotta sub to a major company not some acronym no one heard of) 

CSG is getting punished on blowout for their harsh grading. I have two cards where I believe their math is off when it comes to centering. 

The worst was a George Brett cert 1013074003, where the centering seems like a 6, not 4.5, judging by counting the pixels. It certainly is off center, but using one of the centering tools, or counting pixels, it seems like a miss. Judge for yourself.

Being a tough grader is one thing (which is good), but being overly punitive is not going to help CSG long term.

They deserve to get punished. Their grading is clearly off the mark. I wish I read these boards before eating my money here. I’ll need to break the whole batch of 50 cards I sent in out of the holders and regrade them at PSA or SGC now for a fair grade and fair market value at auction. Total waste of over a $1,000 here flushed down the toilet. Never again. 

I would gladly sell you my Jordan refractor for $1500, which is well below the market value of the card, especially if you have it re-graded and get the true grade which is 8 1/2 to 9. I couldn’t agree with more with you about wasting money. They won’t get any more of my cards to grade nor will they get my vast comic book collection to grade as well.

On 5/19/2021 at 3:51 PM, MDBLAW said:

At the request of CSG customer service, I have provided them with front and back photographs of the Jordan refractor card that they originally graded at a 7.5. I have consulted with numerous people in the sports card grading field, and the consensus is that the card should have graded at an 8.5 or nine. I would be fine with such a grade, but the 7.5 that CSG gave the card is, in my opinion overly strict, especially for a card that is affected in value greatly by the downgrade it received. The difference between the first year Jordan refractor at a 7.5 and that of an 8.5 or nine is potentially thousands of dollars. Ordinarily, I would just take my lumps And be done with it, but there is too much money involved and too many questions as to why it received such a low grade. I’ll keep you posted.

D4E65849-68B2-44E9-BC3D-2DC1FC3379F3.jpeg

6EA3C7D0-FA1B-433E-ADD2-C3F501A8CC62.jpeg

It’s the surface.  Looks like greening issues. I can’t tell for sure but it looks like his arms and leg have greening.   I had a Kobe destiny refractor with the same thing.  All 9s and the surface got like a 6.5 or 7 which killed the final grade.  That’s the only thing I see, everything else looks sharp on your  card.  You have to Spend the money and get the subs especially for a card worth this much $$, that was a mistake.