• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grades .. sending cards in ..

7 posts in this topic

ok.  First I'll start by saying I'm an old time collector who has always looked at off condition cards as not wanted.. i only go for NrMnt..

when I send cards for grading I go for 9 or 10 but realize some might be an 8. I NEVER go for a 5 or 6 in any year. 

So.. why do people send in crappy condt. cards ? I don't get it. As a buyer I'll just buy a raw card before a 6 or so.

Is it just because of old $8 price ? I'm seeing lots of csg 5, 6 etc.. why bother ? Strange era were in.. Thx.

The reason is most people are not collectors and are flippers. Many of the flippers have no clue what they are doing and will send in anything. If someone thinks they can make $2 off a $8 submission they will send it in. eBay is littered with CSG slabs having garbage inside. It will just get worse.

I do send in lower condition cards for my vintage PC, but I try to keep the grade to the decade. For instance 90 cards must be a 9, 80s cards as an 8, 70s cards as a 7, etc... Sometimes I stretch this rule for big-time rookies and HOF players.

It really depends on the card. If it's a vintage card with strong demand, it pretty much always belongs in a graded case, in my opinion. An example would be pretty much any 50's era Topps Jackie Robinson cards. I have several of those, all ranging from a PSA 1 to PSA 6. There's a significant difference in value even between a 3 and a 4 or a 1 and a 2, especially for the 1952 and 1953 Topps cards. Just being authenticated is worth it even. YMMV.

9 hours ago, Jackies_and_Jordans said:

It really depends on the card. If it's a vintage card with strong demand, it pretty much always belongs in a graded case, in my opinion. An example would be pretty much any 50's era Topps Jackie Robinson cards. I have several of those, all ranging from a PSA 1 to PSA 6. There's a significant difference in value even between a 3 and a 4 or a 1 and a 2, especially for the 1952 and 1953 Topps cards. Just being authenticated is worth it even. YMMV.

I feel like 50-60s cards it doesn't really apply. A 7-8 on one of those is about as good as it gets, so a 6 to me is still high end(to me anyways). Not saying that there aren't 9-10s out there but very very very few compared to later years. Like you said, there can be quite a leap in price on some between a 4 and a 6, so I agree that grading those isn't a bad idea. 

On 5/18/2021 at 4:19 PM, Picklepete said:

ok.  First I'll start by saying I'm an old time collector who has always looked at off condition cards as not wanted.. i only go for NrMnt..

when I send cards for grading I go for 9 or 10 but realize some might be an 8. I NEVER go for a 5 or 6 in any year. 

So.. why do people send in crappy condt. cards ? I don't get it. As a buyer I'll just buy a raw card before a 6 or so.

Is it just because of old $8 price ? I'm seeing lots of csg 5, 6 etc.. why bother ? Strange era were in.. Thx.

Been wondering the same. I am a collector who got back into The Hobby in March 2020 when the pandemic hit. But I spent a fair bit of time educating myself on corners, edges, centering. and surface and truly don't understand why people buy raw trash on eBay and send it it in expecting a PSA 9/10 or a CSG 9.5.

6 hours ago, jsrva said:

Been wondering the same. I am a collector who got back into The Hobby in March 2020 when the pandemic hit. But I spent a fair bit of time educating myself on corners, edges, centering. and surface and truly don't understand why people buy raw trash on eBay and send it it in expecting a PSA 9/10 or a CSG 9.5.

I've had many cards purchased raw on ebay get graded for 9 and 10. If something is not in the stated condition I start a refund. You just have to do your homework and ask for extra images from the seller if you're not comfortable with their description. 

Authentication (and lack of alterations) is a bigger deal on old cards.  (Look at the piles of fake and altered 1986 fleer Jordans all over eBay) Finding a 1950s card in 9-10 good luck.  Other than centering, I find almost no visual difference to the naked eye between 8-10.  It’s just a human fixation on the unattainable idea of perfection.   A 1954 Hank Aaron in grade 5 is nice to look at.