• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To grade or not to grade...major dilemma for me.

36 posts in this topic

Ok, then just one more question...is the basketball on the back side at the lower right that says "NBA Players" have lines in it like basketball seams or is it solid, looks kind of solid from the picture, but hard to see for sure.

On 3/25/2021 at 8:58 PM, Full Choke Fowl Taxidermy said:

I am 53 years old. I used to collect cards, but I stopped back in the early 90s. Rickey Henderson was my favorite player. I have an amazing 80 Topps rookie, and every single other card he was ever on...ungraded. I also have an amzing Fleer Jordan rookie I acquired before the Bulls ever won a championship. Also ungraded. I have Ryan/Koosman rookie, Yount, Bo, Shaq, and several others that are highly desired. All ungraded. 

Utif I'm being honest here, I am scared to trust my card to someone to grade (away from my presence) and risk getting back something other that what I sent in. After all, we are talking about some pretty high end, high dollar collector's pieces here. I see what the high graded cards look like, and skin hasn't touched my cards in years. They're in plexiglass cases in  safe deposit box.

So my question is, do I have to grade them? Is it possible to simply sell them or set up some sort of trust thru an agent and then sell them to a serious collector?

My kids tell me to sell them and enjoy the money. What is your opinion? Thank in advance.

grade the jordan definantly get insured before sending good info on here about insuring cards prior to usps, it will substsntially increase the value but also authenticate it and it will sell! good luck man way to be patient, grade authenticate n cash in!!! 

I am 53 years old. I used to collect cards, but I stopped back in the early 90s. Rickey Henderson was my favorite player. I have an amazing 80 Topps rookie, and every single other card he was ever on...ungraded. I also have an amzing Fleer Jordan rookie I acquired before the Bulls ever won a championship. Also ungraded. I have Ryan/Koosman rookie, Yount, Bo, Shaq, and several others that are highly desired. All ungraded. 

Utif I'm being honest here, I am scared to trust my card to someone to grade (away from my presence) and risk getting back something other that what I sent in. After all, we are talking about some pretty high end, high dollar collector's pieces here. I see what the high graded cards look like, and skin hasn't touched my cards in years. They're in plexiglass cases in  safe deposit box.

So my question is, do I have to grade them? Is it possible to simply sell them or set up some sort of trust thru an agent and then sell them to a serious collector?

My kids tell me to sell them and enjoy the money. What is your opinion? Thank in 

I agree to getting the Jordan graded. If you have cards shows close by, see if there are any of the major grading companies are going to be there. That way, you can use the Walkthrough service or drop off the card(s) directly with the company. 

I don't say this at all to be contrarian to what you believe about your cards and burst a bubble, but I don't believe (judging by what I can tell in pics) either that Henderson or that Jordan will grade a 10.  They are both still highly sought after and very valuable cards, and I wouldn't let that deter you from sending them in.   I just want to temper your expectations a bit just in case those are two that you're thinking will gem mint.

I will however echo other opinions in the thread and say you should definitely grade, and you'll be losing lots of money selling them raw.

On 3/30/2021 at 6:46 PM, Full Choke Fowl Taxidermy said:

Yep, I got it waay back then. I have no doubt that it's the real thing. 

I've been doing this for 30 years and the yellow in the triangle/arrow under the word Fleer on the front of the card is the same color yellow as the rest of the yellow around it, which is literally the number one giveaway of a counterfeit card. I would absolutely take it to a card shop, perhaps, and have someone look at it first to tell you what they think.

ne1seenmykeys, That is interesting. I've had the card for over 30 years (1989). I was really big into collecting before I quit 30 years ago. Looking back, I just don't remember a big push to counterfeit Jordan cards after his first year playing and certainly before he won his first ring in 91. Also, the ability to counterfeit (technology) back then wasn't nearly as good as it is today. But hey, thanks for the input. I'm still considering having someone look at it in person, or maybe selling it ungraded along with my other cards.

On 12/7/2021 at 11:44 AM, Full Choke Fowl Taxidermy said:

ne1seenmykeys, That is interesting. I've had the card for over 30 years (1989). I was really big into collecting before I quit 30 years ago. Looking back, I just don't remember a big push to counterfeit Jordan cards after his first year playing and certainly before he won his first ring in 91. Also, the ability to counterfeit (technology) back then wasn't nearly as good as it is today. But hey, thanks for the input. I'm still considering having someone look at it in person, or maybe selling it ungraded along with my other cards.

Selling it ungraded would be another reason why you would want someone to make sure it's the real deal, bc if you sell it under the pretense that it's not fake and it turns out it is then you'll have to give a refund and you'll be stuck with a counterfeit card. 

That card is the number one counterfeit card in the hobby and it's not even close, and unless you are well versed on counterfeits yourself I wouldn't jump to any conclusions on the technologies etc that were used to create faked ones, when etc.

Get it authenticated first, THEN sell it. It is a Michael Jordan rookie card for god's sake. No matter the grade, having it authenticated/graded will increase the amount you get for it exponentially. However, if you don't get it authenticated/graded and you sell a fake, you're doing to be on the hook for that bc there's no way someone is going to not come back looking for a refund if they go and grade it and it's a fake. 

To be clear, I'm not saying it's a fake. I'm saying it has the number one characteristic if being a fake. 

Get the card graded. Trust me. Or not lol. 

On 12/7/2021 at 4:17 PM, RM4570 said:

Is that line normal?  

image.thumb.png.14de14a32790671dfb1d8f8f114de629.png

I have never seen one of those lines on one of these cards. It really is screaming fake to me and I hope he gets it authenticated. The fact that he is so hesitant to makes me question this even further. Until a professional grading company gets it and authenticates it I wouldn't touch this with a 20 foot pole. 

On 3/30/2021 at 10:51 PM, CardHero said:

Ok, then just one more question...is the basketball on the back side at the lower right that says "NBA Players" have lines in it like basketball seams or is it solid, looks kind of solid from the picture, but hard to see for sure.

very light lines on ball. Send Jordy in Walkt hrough, Ins. for 30-50k to be safe. DO NOT WORRY about the integrity of CSG, as far as getting back something different. You may be disappointed (in grade) due to an unseen imperfection (compressed corners are common, from screw downs), but having dealt with their various other companies for over two decades, that's a non issue. Good luck and most of all, have fun! TAT's are getting faster, too!

On 12/7/2021 at 11:44 AM, Full Choke Fowl Taxidermy said:

Hey bruh, you can laugh at my replies all you want (I saw your emoticon reply to my last reply in here), but I'm not the one here freaking out about whether I should send a card in to be graded for god's sake. If you've been collecting for over 30 years like you said and you have confidence in the card then it should be a no-brainer to send it in.

You have basically everyone in here telling you what to do, which is what you came here for, so either take the advice or leave it but to laugh at others who know what the hell they are talking about AND are trying to help you out seems purposefully ignorant to me.  

Damn son, have you lost your keys and your mind? Yeah, you're funny, haha. That's why I laughed at you AND your 20ft pole comment. That being said, you either have a reading disability, or you just like jump to conclusions real quick, slick. So let me slow it down for you. I asked about a lot of cards when I started the thread, BACK IN MARCH, not just the Jordan. I also told you that I quit giving a damn about "collecting" cards and acquiring more cards over 30 years ago, but I still have a mess load of 'em from all sports and many years before 1990. But hey man, you got it aaaall figured out, don't you? Since you know it all, slick, what the hell makes you even think I haven't had a truck load of my cards looked at already?? (That's rhetorical. Please, don't reply.) I know what I got and I never said it was a ten or a nine or even an 8. I gave a hypothetical in the op.

You're simply reading way too friggin much into this, and for no reason. Quite frankly, you and your 30 year resume mean nothing to me. I quit before you ever got into the game, and way before the grading thingy was "mandatory". I've sat on these cards for years and years, and back in march, when this awesome csg forum opened, I used it. Because I'm considering dumping the whole lot, and burning the money on booze and strippers. I don't need the money, that's why I've sat on them for 3 decades!...but I ask myself, why not get rid of them and blow the cash if they're worth way more today than I paid for them in the 80s? So here's some advice for you...if you're gonna pout and be all butt hurt over a damn emoji, then maybe you shouldn't comment on forums and risk all them sad feelings getting hurt. At least have someone read the post to you so you can understand it before you quickly give your 2 cents and all the while, jump to conclusions. As Big would say - "And if you don't knowwww, now you knowww." 

Oh and, thanks to everyone else for the sound advice, and not losing it over a flippin emoji. :roflmao:

My kids tell me to sell them and enjoy the money. What is your opinion? Thank in advance.

ive thought about this myself especially for that jordan rookie, you can go to a card show and submit on site if it makes you more comfortable, that way you get top price for your cards 

On 12/8/2021 at 3:21 PM, Full Choke Fowl Taxidermy said:

Damn son, have you lost your keys and your mind? Yeah, you're funny, haha. That's why I laughed at you AND your 20ft pole comment. That being said, you either have a reading disability, or you just like jump to conclusions real quick, slick. So let me slow it down for you. I asked about a lot of cards when I started the thread, BACK IN MARCH, not just the Jordan. I also told you that I quit giving a damn about "collecting" cards and acquiring more cards over 30 years ago, but I still have a mess load of 'em from all sports and many years before 1990. But hey man, you got it aaaall figured out, don't you? Since you know it all, slick, what the hell makes you even think I haven't had a truck load of my cards looked at already?? (That's rhetorical. Please, don't reply.) I know what I got and I never said it was a ten or a nine or even an 8. I gave a hypothetical in the op.

You're simply reading way too friggin much into this, and for no reason. Quite frankly, you and your 30 year resume mean nothing to me. I quit before you ever got into the game, and way before the grading thingy was "mandatory". I've sat on these cards for years and years, and back in march, when this awesome csg forum opened, I used it. Because I'm considering dumping the whole lot, and burning the money on booze and strippers. I don't need the money, that's why I've sat on them for 3 decades!...but I ask myself, why not get rid of them and blow the cash if they're worth way more today than I paid for them in the 80s? So here's some advice for you...if you're gonna pout and be all butt hurt over a damn emoji, then maybe you shouldn't comment on forums and risk all them sad feelings getting hurt. At least have someone read the post to you so you can understand it before you quickly give your 2 cents and all the while, jump to conclusions. As Big would say - "And if you don't knowwww, now you knowww." 

Oh and, thanks to everyone else for the sound advice, and not losing it over a flippin emoji. :roflmao:

You came here to ask for advice and got advice in return and it was pointed out to you by two people who have been *grading cards* for 30 years (I haven't just been collecting for 30 years), and we are telling you that you have the number one sign that the Jordan card is fake. You even admit to not grading cards - THAT'S WHY I REPLIED, bc I've been grading for over 30 years with PSA, SGC, etc. I was literally trying to help you and your response is to laugh at my suggestion that I wouldn't touch a Jordan RC that displays the number one sign of being fake??? For a card that much I'm NOT goint to touch it with a 20-foot pole, esp when the holder of the card has a double-digit IQ and DoEsNt KnOw WhEtHeR tO GrAdE iT oR nOt.

I even told you, quite literally, that I'm not saying it's fake, but that it has the number one sign, *which is why you should have it graded/authenticated*. NO ONE that knows what the hell they are doing is going to buy that card from you with the glaring yellow-color issue you have. You might get some other double-digit IQ person like yourself to buy it from you bc they are ignorant on what to look for, but there are too many glaring issues with that card for anyone with any knowledge about that card to buy it without it being authenticated/graded. 

Also, I'm not losing anything - you're the troglodyte that "DoEsNt KnOw WhAt To Do WiTh My CaRdS" when the answer is simple - if you want more money for it and to make sure it's authentic then get it graded. Or not. I literally couldn't care less what you do with your life. And, again, I already said this to you. 

Finally, I would say the one "LoSiNg It" is the one that wrote a 1000-word essay in reply to me lmao. And "booze and strippers" sounds like really great life choices. You sound like a really well-adjusted, emotionally intelligent human being. 

Edited by ne1seenmykeys