• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here’s the Jordan refractor graded 7.5

32 posts in this topic

These are the best pictures I could upload given the file size restrictions of this website. After examining the card when I received it in the case, I am even more convinced that this should have graded at an 8.5 or higher. I just feel screwed. Please give me your feedback. Maybe I’m wrong.Maybe I’m wrong.

86321882-8C74-41EE-AF9A-FB8C0972CAFF.jpeg

8F2287C4-210C-41E4-A727-BB05A70CFD82.jpeg

9CB1EA6E-637F-4EC8-B325-7A95EA389D8D.jpeg

Maybe the card is not perfectly centered left to right. That’s the only flaw I see taking into account all the stated criteria for their grading process. Otherwise, the corners are crisp the edges are perfect and the face of the card is beautiful.

6 hours ago, MDBLAW said:

Maybe the card is not perfectly centered left to right. That’s the only flaw I see taking into account all the stated criteria for their grading process. Otherwise, the corners are crisp the edges are perfect and the face of the card is beautiful.

Sweet card! I think you got dinged on the front centering, top to bottom, not sure what else

This is a really good example of why it might be worth the $10 for subs.  Without knowing what they dinged you for it's tough to tell from just the pictures.  With a refractor from what I've seen it oftentimes comes down to a poor surface grade.  The centering might be 8-8.5 (can't imagine it's worse) but that's not going to cause a 7.5.  The edges and corners look good in the pictures, but it's so hard to see the surface.  

Andy, you are so right. My tendencies towards being a cheap person got the best of me, but I won’t let it happen again. I should’ve spent the extra 40 bucks for the sub grades. Lesson learned. This is my first foray into card grading.

8 minutes ago, MDBLAW said:

Andy, you are so right. My tendencies towards being a cheap person got the best of me, but I won’t let it happen again. I should’ve spent the extra 40 bucks for the sub grades. Lesson learned. This is my first foray into card grading.

I've been out of the hobby for about 15 years (kids took up my time) so now that I decided to get back in I realized I had to grade some.  First one I graded was a Steph Curry Crown Royale auto rc and I used PSA.  Was almost certain it was a 10 when I sent it and they returned it as a 8.  I realized right then that regardless of the prices for PSA graded cards, I didn't want to get blind grades back with no explanation.  I moved to CSG and while I'm not happy with the slowness of the service, the cards I have gotten back were fairly graded and the sub grades let me know exactly what to look for in the future.

Thanks Andy. I appreciate the advice and we are in a similar position as I have just gotten back into cards after raising my children. All of the stuff I have is pre-2010 and the vast majority, some 20,000 cards are from the early 1970s through 2006.

Subs are a must in my opinion. I would imagine that with the PSA news release in June/July, they will have to add sub grades.  People seem to prefer a 9 with subgrades to a 9 without it (I don't have proof, it just seems to be the case).

It also seems that as volume has been forced to CSG and SGC due to the PSA shutdown, more investors/collectors have submitted to these alternatives, and they are getting more comfortable with things not-PSA. Hopefully price convergence continues.

1 hour ago, RKgant said:

Subs are a must in my opinion. I would imagine that with the PSA news release in June/July, they will have to add sub grades.  People seem to prefer a 9 with subgrades to a 9 without it (I don't have proof, it just seems to be the case).

It also seems that as volume has been forced to CSG and SGC due to the PSA shutdown, more investors/collectors have submitted to these alternatives, and they are getting more comfortable with things not-PSA. Hopefully price convergence continues.

From what it looks like from Nat Turner, one of head honchos at PSA, subgrades are not in the future for them. I'm just glad CSG is able to thrive even more since the top dog shut down. Competition is good.

15 hours ago, ItismeH said:

From what it looks like from Nat Turner, one of head honchos at PSA, subgrades are not in the future for them. I'm just glad CSG is able to thrive even more since the top dog shut down. Competition is good.

I don't know how they can compete without offering subgrades. How long can brand alone overcome an inferior product? Their grading is not tougher than others (they award more 10's than SCG), their labels can't really be perceived to 'look' so much better, no subs, more people submitting and getting familiar with SCG, CSG, etc... we will se how this shakes out.

8 hours ago, RKgant said:

I don't know how they can compete without offering subgrades. How long can brand alone overcome an inferior product? Their grading is not tougher than others (they award more 10's than SCG), their labels can't really be perceived to 'look' so much better, no subs, more people submitting and getting familiar with SCG, CSG, etc... we will se how this shakes out.

I'm with you. I definitely don't believe in PSA all that much and don't have too much confidence in them.

Not really I’m guessing the centering was 6.5 which would mean even if the other grades were 9.5’s the highest grade would be 7.5

😳

Edited by JJrad
Addition message

I’ve measured the centering and it is not a 6.5. At worst it’s a 7.5 and even if the rest were 8 1/2 or nine‘s it should still come out to an eight. Doesn’t matter it is what it is right?

Edited by MDBLAW

On 5/15/2021 at 9:04 AM, MDBLAW said:

Bro it's only $10 extra for subs, not $40, so if that is what is holding you back then get the subs!