• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here’s the Jordan refractor graded 7.5

32 posts in this topic

On 5/19/2021 at 7:12 PM, MDBLAW said:

I’ve measured the centering and it is not a 6.5. At worst it’s a 7.5 and even if the rest were 8 1/2 or nine‘s it should still come out to an eight. Doesn’t matter it is what it is right?

If you got that low of a grade on a card that otherwise looks great then it's the surface, guaranteed. CSG's algorithm places the greatest importance on surface so even if you have 9, 9, 9 but a 5 on surface you're still going to get like a 6-6.5 grade. On a card like this, not to be rude, but you GOTTA spring for the subgrades, esp at only $10

Plus, it'a a Topps Finest and they are absolutely renowned for fading, greening, etc. 

Also, I'm just being very honest with you here - without the card in hand, esp on surface issues, it's going to be impossible for any of us to tell. 

I hear you. I definitely would have gotten subgrades had I been experienced in card grading at all. Especially for this card. It really should’ve been graded at an eight or 8.5 but it is what it is now. Live and learn!

Edited by MDBLAW

On 6/15/2022 at 9:43 AM, MDBLAW said:

I hear you. I definitely would have gotten subgrades had I been experienced in card grading at all. Especially for this card. It really should’ve been graded at an eight or 8.5 but it is what it is now. Live and learn!

I think the 7.5 is fair. The skintone areas seem to exhibit greening, there is an apparent vertical refractor line (and a shade of a horizontal one), and the L/R centering looks 67/33.

Is the reverse centering closer to 80/20?

On 6/15/2022 at 12:43 PM, MDBLAW said:

I'm going to slightly push back on this and say that Occam's Razor is at play here, and that I simply disagree with you. 

You have already admitted you aren't experienced in grading, right? 

CSG is established from a company that is literally *the* industry standard in comic book grading, they have *massive* financial backing from multiple arenas, use a very sophisticated AI grading process to make sure every card is graded to the same standard and they have, quite literally, at minimum, hundreds of employees with a combined tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of hours in the hobby. Also, after the AI does its thing it goes through a human quality assurance process, as well, so there are even checks and balances for any mistakes in the AI being too harsh for whatever reason. 

I'm not saying it's impossible that your card could have gotten an 8 or 8.5. What I'm saying is that I trust the word and (very) tough grades that CSG gives out. It really lets you know where your collection stands in terms of just how nice the cards are. If you have a high number-graded CSG collection you can rest assured that you have one of the best out there in terms of quality. 

But you have to earn it, and I'd say this card is exactly right at a 7.5

Look bro, this is a sick card. It looks great! And that set is notorious to have unfavorable grades as the years wear on, and people in the hobby know that. 

Here is the upside to this card - as the Fanatics takeover deepens and more money starts being thrown at CSG and the overall hobby starts to realize just how good CSG is the value of your card is going to start to rise immediately. Just be patient with that card, hold onto it for awhile and watch what happens to the value of CSG cards, even ones without subgrades, but especially Green Label CSG cards. There are now going to be a limited number of green label cards out there, so if you have one of the very few Jordan refractors in this card, making it a low population card, the value will only go up more (all things considered equal).

I really hope my posts don't come off snooty or condescending. I'm really trying to help you out. I've been doing this for awhile and since you mentioned you're new to the game a bit I'd like to offer up as much help as I can.

The other thing you could potentially do, esp if you are looking for return on investment right now, is send the card to PSA. They just opened up their $30 tier and they say the estimated turnaround time is 120 days (although, it's PSA so take that with a boulder of salt) so if it gets an 8 there you're looking at quite a bit more $ in return in the near future. Source - thousands of individual sales over the past 20+ years :)

NE1, you’re obviously experienced knowledge in this area is appreciated. I hear what you’re saying and although the value of this individual card is of little significance to me, I will hold onto it and perhaps one day sell it if the price is right. Also, I hope you’re right about CSG and the increased popularity of their cards they have graded. Right now, it seems as if the market is holding back on a full-fledged endorsement of CSG grades, or perhaps over time they will become the new standard in card and comic book grading.  I do appreciate what you have said and will take it to heart. Thanks dude!

I have the same issue. I just recently had 2 of those Jordans graded. They are not the refractor though. One was graded as a 7.5 and the card is clearly off centered and has a couple soft corners, but the other one is damn near dead center with great corners and the surface looks great. I was expecting at least a 9, but it got a 7. Not sure how thats even possible. I guess I need to send in a form and see what explanation they give me. I think I'm going to send the & to BGS and see what they grade it at.

On 6/17/2022 at 12:59 PM, Wizard2301 said:

I have the same issue. I just recently had 2 of those Jordans graded. They are not the refractor though. One was graded as a 7.5 and the card is clearly off centered and has a couple soft corners, but the other one is damn near dead center with great corners and the surface looks great. I was expecting at least a 9, but it got a 7. Not sure how thats even possible. I guess I need to send in a form and see what explanation they give me. I think I'm going to send the & to BGS and see what they grade it at.

There might be something as silly as a fingerprint on the card. Hard to say without photos.

On 5/14/2021 at 6:16 PM, MDBLAW said:

95ECEF3A-1678-446E-A454-AAA1EE2A01C8.thumb.jpeg.496e6e4bbbffd9ce3af280e8dbc82ca1.jpeg

its def off right to left under the green label scale putting centering around a 7.5-8 the green label centering scale super stringent and the greening I heard was a major problem with chrome cards until 1998-99 but its a beautiful card i would love to have that personally but might wanna crack n send to psa in hopes of getting an 8, there centering scale is much more leniant might even get an 8.5

Thanks but I think I’ll just keep it as is. When the market peaks again, I’ll let it go for the right price. If the market never peaks then I have a rare card in my collection of many rare cards.

On 7/22/2022 at 4:30 PM, MDBLAW said:

Thanks but I think I’ll just keep it as is. When the market peaks again, I’ll let it go for the right price. If the market never peaks then I have a rare card in my collection of many rare cards.

Yes... until it's not rare. As the market cools, people will start breaking old wax to try to recover costs with refractors. At that point, the market will be saturated with non-green Refractors.