• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CSG standards for known problems on particular cards

2 posts in this topic

Will CSG release specific information about how they treat specific cards from specific set that have well-known issues that the industry is aware of before we submit those kinds of cards? For example, greening of early chrome or finest cards...will this greening have a significant deduction on the surface grade? Will 1971 topps baseball be graded slightly easier on the black borders? Will Fleer 86-87 basketball cards for the sticker set be graded whether they are bigger or smaller than the standard size because they were known to come in sizes, regular, shorter, and taller? There are so many more but I would like to know if CSG are aware of these industry facts about particular cards form specific sets that would have an impact on grading and authentication. I would hate to to send in a bulk of submission of this stuff thinking that CSG knows about the sticker size differences on that fleer set but rejects all of them because they aren't the standard size. Or if I sent in bulk early chrome thinking that since there are PSA 10s and BGS 9.5s that have greening it them, CSG would not grade like this and automatically deduct 4-5 points on surface to begin with. I would like to know what CSGs position is on these abnormalities. 

On 5/14/2021 at 12:02 PM, Chin's Cards said:

Will CSG release specific information about how they treat specific cards from specific set that have well-known issues that the industry is aware of before we submit those kinds of cards? For example, greening of early chrome or finest cards...will this greening have a significant deduction on the surface grade? Will 1971 topps baseball be graded slightly easier on the black borders? Will Fleer 86-87 basketball cards for the sticker set be graded whether they are bigger or smaller than the standard size because they were known to come in sizes, regular, shorter, and taller? There are so many more but I would like to know if CSG are aware of these industry facts about particular cards form specific sets that would have an impact on grading and authentication. I would hate to to send in a bulk of submission of this stuff thinking that CSG knows about the sticker size differences on that fleer set but rejects all of them because they aren't the standard size. Or if I sent in bulk early chrome thinking that since there are PSA 10s and BGS 9.5s that have greening it them, CSG would not grade like this and automatically deduct 4-5 points on surface to begin with. I would like to know what CSGs position is on these abnormalities. 

Thank you for your question. We are well aware of these types of issues. Our senior grading staff has decades of professional grading experience with other well-known grading companies.

Exact issues such as the infamous Topps greening or inconsistent sizing of Fleer stickers are taken into account and are understood. 

On the topic of greening cards in high grade holders: all of the top tier grading companies do in fact deduct for this defect. The problem is, many of these cards that were graded at a high grade, did not have the greening at the time. These cards continue to turn even after grading. This is why you may find a 9.5 with greening.