• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long wait to be disappointed!

71 posts in this topic

On 5/12/2021 at 9:31 PM, MDBLAW said:

I sent 99 cards to CSG for grading, and only one was an express category card. The shipment was received by CSG on March 23, 2021, but they didn’t actually receive the shipment on their online progress report until May 1 2021.  As if that weren’t disappointing enough they finally graded my first card, a 1992 tops finest Michael Jordan refractor at a 7.5. I examined this card very closely, at 30x lighted magnification before sending it and had a friend who is a card grader look at it as well. We both agreed it was no worse than an 8.5 and possibly as good as a 9.5. This downgrade by CSG is costing me quite a bit of money. I hope the rest of my submissions won’t be as disappointing.

Post a picture of the card front and back and lets see this gem...

On 5/13/2021 at 3:16 PM, RKgant said:

The only thing that matters is ROI. And of course I have not submitted anything to SGC because regardless of the grade, they are not worth much. The market is pretty clear that a SGC 10 is only worth a PSA 7 or so, and it has more to do with the grading than the slab. If you think it is untrue or that there is an arbitrage to be had, purchase the SGC cards and flip them over the PSA for regrading.  But people are not doing that because we don't have confidence that a SGC 10 will be a 9 or 10 at PSA.

Hopefully CSG will prove more like PSA than SGC.

I'll agree that a PSA 10 out sells SGC 10 by a good range.  On eBay I have sold the SGC 9.5 in the same range as a PSA 9, the gap, from what I've seen, is not SGC 10 = PSA 7 for the entirely of the Sports Card market, but you may find instances where that is true.  PSA has the publicity and numbers, but IMO, SGC, CSG and Beckett all grade tougher than PSA.  Not enough for the average person to take notice.  For me, it's about the card, as we saw with the recent SGC Babe Ruth card selling for $6 million.   

Agreed that I was being way too harsh... on average I was finding that the other grading firm's slabs are priced at around a full grade below... which is pretty sizable from a $ perspective. 

BUT I do think that the gap has been shrinking over the last month (last week!). It could be that so many people have been forced to send cards to other graders for the first time in their lives, and they are getting more comfortable with the other options. I continue to monitor and root for the gap to close, as I think it should since PSA is not known to be the strictest grader.

7 hours ago, RKgant said:

Agreed that I was being way too harsh... on average I was finding that the other grading firm's slabs are priced at around a full grade below... which is pretty sizable from a $ perspective. 

BUT I do think that the gap has been shrinking over the last month (last week!). It could be that so many people have been forced to send cards to other graders for the first time in their lives, and they are getting more comfortable with the other options. I continue to monitor and root for the gap to close, as I think it should since PSA is not known to be the strictest grader.

I've had to send a few to SGC, because they're the only people with decent turnaround. Sells haven't been that bad, what I miss in % I make up in volume. I'm just thankful they don't hoard my cards.

On 5/13/2021 at 4:30 PM, Chris1096 said:

SGC is far better and more consistant than PSA and I would say the exact opposite as I have seen it personally crossing PSA 10's that came back from SGC as a 9. PSA has been caught cheating and is even being investigated by the FBI. The fact it still carries the highest price baffles me. I have bought one PSA 10 in my life and it wasnt even centered well. I will never touch them again personally.  Your comment is entirely ignorant and biased. 

Why would you ever send a psa 10 to SGC? 

On 6/26/2021 at 6:16 AM, Dqberry said:

Why would you ever send a psa 10 to SGC? 

I explained earlier in a post but basically the 100 grade was still in play there and was valued slightly higher at the time so i went for it.

On 5/13/2021 at 7:17 PM, redfoxdutchman said:

PSA has diehards and people on the registry. CSG can't afford to have the same backlogs. They don't have the same ROI and customers that used them for decades that will be patient with them. Sure there are a few CGC fanboys that will cut them slack, but that is not the majority if submitters. The majority of people who submitted with CSG did it because it was cheap and they thought they would get back their cards in a relatively quick turnaround time. I can already see the frustration on forums and twitter. People did not expect a 1 year turnaround time when they submitted at the stated 60 days bulk. 

your right they cant afford the back log of psa when psa is giving out 70% 10s with the highest resell value but most of the csg forum complaints are from 2/21 to 9/21 when psa, bgs shut down, csg was gettin crushed with volume, when psa comes back csg's turnarpund times gonna be fast and thats when csg values will go up. If SGC was gonna do anything in the grading world they would have done it by now, dudes use em now cause they have too, but with psa open, csg goin strong Sgc isnt gonna get submissions except for a few die hards who like em for vintage, FGC is a new grader really harsh with nice slabs id watch out for them before sgc or hga but i like the csg slab personally and hope all new graders do well to avoid a psa monopoly forcing us yo pay a ton for grading to get a fair value on our cards 

On 5/12/2021 at 9:31 PM, MDBLAW said:

I sent 99 cards to CSG for grading, and only one was an express category card. The shipment was received by CSG on March 23, 2021, but they didn’t actually receive the shipment on their online progress report until May 1 2021.  As if that weren’t disappointing enough they finally graded my first card, a 1992 tops finest Michael Jordan refractor at a 7.5. I examined this card very closely, at 30x lighted magnification before sending it and had a friend who is a card grader look at it as well. We both agreed it was no worse than an 8.5 and possibly as good as a 9.5. This downgrade by CSG is costing me quite a bit of money. I hope the rest of my submissions won’t be as disappointing.

It’s a garbage company that will be out of business in 2 years. I received a ‘we can’t prove your cards are real’ on 2 Mayweather rookies and they were bought from the old owners in a complete set and then I was billed anyways !  Complain to the better business bureau

On 5/13/2021 at 11:47 AM, RKgant said:

The real point will be "how does a CSG 7.5 compare to PSA"? Is a CSG 7.5 really a PSA 9? Once the industry is able to compare the grades, this should all settle out. If CSG is known as the toughest grader, that should be OK as the auction prices realized should reflect that.

I have three submissions in process, so I have not experienced it for myself yet. I am hopeful that the combination of the known name CSG within the hobby, the sub-grades, and the AI all help CSG claim a seat next to BGS and PSA. But time will tell. I am confident that more and more collectors will demand subgrades tho.

Closing in on a year later it’s not looking like collectors are viewing CSG as some superior option to PSA. Not only are their lower graded cards not surpassing PSA graded cards, for the most part CSG equally graded cards are fetching far lower prices than PSA graded cards at auction. After trying here once I’m not willing to risk ever sending another batch of cards for their much lower grades and much lower prices wishing on a star that is going to change because I doubt it will. This service is a waste of money. Raw cards are worth more.