• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Authenticating an altered card?

8 posts in this topic

Hi! I have a 1952 Topps Jackie Robinson that I'd like to get authenticated. It is clearly altered, as you can see in the photo attached: one corner being either damaged by a screw-down, or maybe even erased, and then it appears someone traced some the borders (crudely and obviously) that were damaged in pen.

Obviously it would not receive a numbered grade. My question is whether CSG has an "Authentic Altered" designation, that it can receive without a number grade and still be encapsulated, as some other grading companies do. I wanted to check before sending it in.

Thanks!

IMG_2674.jpg

5 hours ago, Tails01 said:

Wow.  This does not reflect well on SGC.  

Needless to say I was surprised it received a numeric grade. I was just hoping it would get authenticated and put in a holder. That said, the more I thought about it, the main reason we need an "Authentic Altered" grade is to notify the holder/future buyer that there was an alteration to the card, and most of the time that's going to be something someone did to the card to make it look better (trimming, recoloring, etc) that might not be noticeable. In this case someone did something to the card that made it look worse that is definitely noticeable. In that way it's not much different than grading a card that has a mark or missing paper, I guess. Maybe a special nuanced case, or maybe just caught a generous grader on the right day haha.

Edited by Ryan Famuliner

2 hours ago, Ryan Famuliner said:

Needless to say I was surprised it received a numeric grade. I was just hoping it would get authenticated and put in a holder. That said, the more I thought about it, the main reason we need an "Authentic Altered" grade is to notify the holder/future buyer that there was an alteration to the card, and most of the time that's going to be something someone did to the card to make it look better (trimming, recoloring, etc) that might not be noticeable. In this case someone did something to the card that made it look worse that is definitely noticeable. In that way it's not much different than grading a card that has a mark or missing paper, I guess. Maybe a special nuanced case, or maybe just caught a generous grader on the right day haha.

Yep. That seems to just be the way SGC grades altered and damaged cards like that. I have a similar card, a T206 common that actually has glue residue on the back, and stains, and it also got a Poor 1. Mine actually looks like it was hit by a truck. 😂 So I think that reflects the traditional grading procedures of SGC. And at least you got it graded! The new SGC holders are awesome, great for vintage.