• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sub-grading thoughts

10 posts in this topic

Being new to the hobby and ultra new to grading (1st submission ever this week) I was hoping to get some perspective on sub-grading. I sent in 10 cards all with sub-grading in hopes to learn more on how cards will get graded. Now for the question or dilemma.

On one hand getting the sub-grades on the label definitely helps fill the label out which looks better, but how much can they be a deterrent for a buyer. Example would you feel the same or pay the same amount for a card with sub-grades showing 9.5, 10, 10, 10 obviously still an overall 10, compared to a label that just has the overall 10? 

I know it's really more of a mind game but being a rookie to grading I want to understand as many aspects and thoughts as possible.

The only problem I have when it comes to subgrades is that nobody cares about them when buying PSA or SGC cards. Why should subgrades be a showstopper with CSG or BGS cards? Collectors seem to be holding the latter two companies to different standards and I don't think that's fair or right.

42 minutes ago, PunsRTonsOfFun said:

The only problem I have when it comes to subgrades is that nobody cares about them when buying PSA or SGC cards. Why should subgrades be a showstopper with CSG or BGS cards? Collectors seem to be holding the latter two companies to different standards and I don't think that's fair or right.

I know it might seem to defy logic but, in my opinion, you have to try not to compare the different grading companies. Each company has it's own characteristics that appeal to the collectors. We all saw how successful BGS was at one point with being the only company to have subgrades. When you look at a PSA 9, why did it get that? The biggest thing I can think that easily could be corrected is a fingerprint on a chrome card. If my surface got an 8 and it's because of a fingerprint, I can crack it, clean it off and resubmit it with hopes I get a higher grade. With PSA or SGC, you don't know. How do you make yourself a better submitter? If I know what 10 corners are versus 9.5 corners I can hopefully increase my gem rate. That is what we should be looking to send in. Not just whatever we pull that has an RC label on it.

There is value in those four subgrades and with value comes higher selling prices.

1 hour ago, Matt Macaluso said:

You also have the option to get a "perfect" 10. If you don't apply subs, you can not get the designation, and would only get a pristine 10.

-Matt 

When I posted this I actually didn't know that. Think I seen that either elsewhere on this forum or twitter, but either way that is good info to know. Especially when CSG value catches up to the other, " Perfect 10" will add another tier of value for sellers, buyers, and collectors.

Edited by Milly27