• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does csg authenticate autographs?

12 posts in this topic

On 4/24/2021 at 5:07 AM, Catch221694433763 said:

Joust wondering cause I have a hand signed 3 auto card that was done back when you could mail in the card to the player or team

20210424_095323.jpg

They only grade autos that were pack pulled

On 4/24/2021 at 5:07 AM, Catch221694433763 said:

Joust wondering cause I have a hand signed 3 auto card that was done back when you could mail in the card to the player or team

Barry Sanders would use an ink stamp for his TTM "autographs."

On 4/25/2022 at 7:57 AM, Shockmaster said:

I wish they would offer a Signature Series tier like CGC has. What do your guys think of a yellow slab for witnessed autographs?

To be honest, it would be too costly to coordinate, and show signings have been manipulated in the past. Someone would buy the signing ticket, then take a forged item with the ticket to get authenticated as witnessed.

On 5/19/2022 at 11:46 PM, northkorea said:

To be honest, it would be too costly to coordinate, and show signings have been manipulated in the past. Someone would buy the signing ticket, then take a forged item with the ticket to get authenticated as witnessed.

That's not possible under CGC's witnessing method. Basically the item has to go from the signer directly to CGC, and if it's done at a convention only a CGC authorized witness can take that item from the signer back to be graded. The person with the forged item would be still holding their forged item, as there is no chance to swap it out. 

That said, I don't know that it's necessary in the sports card world considering how many cards are pre-signed and authenticated by the manufacturers. That doesn't exist in the comics world. 

On 5/20/2022 at 10:20 AM, Kon_Jelly said:

That's not possible under CGC's witnessing method. Basically the item has to go from the signer directly to CGC, and if it's done at a convention only a CGC authorized witness can take that item from the signer back to be graded. The person with the forged item would be still holding their forged item, as there is no chance to swap it out. 

That said, I don't know that it's necessary in the sports card world considering how many cards are pre-signed and authenticated by the manufacturers. That doesn't exist in the comics world. 

I think authenticating in person autos is bs anyway, no way psa has a full proof process i would bet my first born they authenticate forgeries all the time. Its impossible to know 100% and thats why csg doesnt do it because its junk science.