• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Price chart just dropped- prices going up.

38 posts in this topic

On 4/21/2021 at 1:40 PM, KBost33 said:

Why can't you enjoy hobby now without hoping for everyone to lose money on their collections now? Who looks forward to seeing a market crash so everyone can lose money, and they can buy cards cheap? What is a real collector, people who have a limited budget that want the big cards, but can't? I certainly don't have big money, but I don't want to see the market crash at all. I hope it goes up and up, and people who want to make money do. Confused by your post. 

My main quam is with the people turning a hobby into a stock market or investment portfolio. Its a hobby and I enjoy spending a few hundred every couple months. Personally I find real collectors to be people with a personal collection. You would be surprised at people without a PC and hold card board like precious metals. Prices IMO are personally out of control and i would love to see them come down. I miss buying a super jumbo box of Bowman Draft for $350 now I dont even bother at $1000. Its not all the Market though with the monopolies that have been handed out by the leagues. Topps MLB, Panini NBA, etc. but thats a whole other issue.

13 hours ago, Chris1096 said:

My main quam is with the people turning a hobby into a stock market or investment portfolio. Its a hobby and I enjoy spending a few hundred every couple months. Personally I find real collectors to be people with a personal collection. You would be surprised at people without a PC and hold card board like precious metals. Prices IMO are personally out of control and i would love to see them come down. I miss buying a super jumbo box of Bowman Draft for $350 now I dont even bother at $1000. Its not all the Market though with the monopolies that have been handed out by the leagues. Topps MLB, Panini NBA, etc. but thats a whole other issue.

Couldn't agree more. The other aspect the flippers and resellers don't understand is when this bubble inevitably pops (hopefully sooner than later), and they just move along to destroy the next big thing, it will be collectors like you and I picking up the pieces of our hobby from off the floor. Those of us who have collected for 25+ years already know how this movie ends. Topps and Panini have already set their printers to Federal Reserve mode so Junk Wax Era 2.0 is coming soon. People will also realize NFTs are stupid and worthless and it all comes crumbling down again.

On 4/23/2021 at 7:33 AM, PunsRTonsOfFun said:

I agree with everything you wrote, except this. PSA has been front and center for every grading scandal and they're well known for being easier and more lax compared to BGS, SGC, and especially CSG now. There's no reason their slabs should command any sort of premium. At some point, it needs to be about the condition of the card and not the acronym on the slab label.

i personally prefer a subgraded 9.5 or pristine/perfect 10 vs a PSA 10. its the flippers thats driving the premium craze over PSA. If I buy a card for my collection, I do want to know what makes its grade so.

I'm on the fence about sending  a bulk order before the end of the month.  Probably half of the lot would be 90's cards that don't have much value if they aren't graded.....at 8$ per card though I have a pretty good shot at doubling my money.

7 hours ago, DHoey07 said:

I'm on the fence about sending  a bulk order before the end of the month.  Probably half of the lot would be 90's cards that don't have much value if they aren't graded.....at 8$ per card though I have a pretty good shot at doubling my money.

Now or never man!😁

On 4/23/2021 at 5:41 AM, PunsRTonsOfFun said:

Couldn't agree more. The other aspect the flippers and resellers don't understand is when this bubble inevitably pops (hopefully sooner than later), and they just move along to destroy the next big thing, it will be collectors like you and I picking up the pieces of our hobby from off the floor. Those of us who have collected for 25+ years already know how this movie ends. Topps and Panini have already set their printers to Federal Reserve mode so Junk Wax Era 2.0 is coming soon. People will also realize NFTs are stupid and worthless and it all comes crumbling down again.

Definitely with you on the NFT market though card companies are praying it takes off. I laughed pretty hard at "Federal Reserve mode" the comparison is scary similar.

2 hours ago, wvbelcher said:

What happens when that demand drops do the fees go down?  asking for a friend 

Have any of the six grading companies out there (PSA, BGS, SGC, CSG, HGA, or GMA) ever lowered their fees/prices? I've only been grading for two or three years, so I've only been doing this while the prices and demand have risen, but am genuinely curious (while most likely already knowing the answer) if they have ever lowered their prices. If you find the answer to that, I think you will have the answer to the question you are asking.

I've been trying for 3 days to do a submission, without any luck. Customer Service says "very high user traffic", just keep trying. I've got a submission ready to go but because I couldn't access the submission form now I've got to pay higher fees.

On 4/21/2021 at 1:33 PM, Chris1096 said:

Agree and I will be one of them. With people treating cardboard as an investment again everything is out of control until the next crash which personally I am looking forward too. As a personal collector i hate the investor groups. When people realize they are still over printing by companies making 20 different sets instead of printing a ton of one set the investor group will bail again and the real collectors can enjoy their hobby once more.

I'm pretty baffled by the millions of dollars for artificially scarce colors and variations of things that have been printed in the past few years. Is the "silver" variation of something really that cool when there are dozens of other nearly identical cards? Sheesh. 

27 minutes ago, David in CA said:

I'm pretty baffled by the millions of dollars for artificially scarce colors and variations of things that have been printed in the past few years. Is the "silver" variation of something really that cool when there are dozens of other nearly identical cards? Sheesh. 

Agreed. Panini getting greedy just a tad. People treating all of the colors like some rare refractors🤦🏻‍♂️

25 minutes ago, ItismeH said:

Agreed. Panini getting greedy just a tad. People treating all of the colors like some rare refractors🤦🏻‍♂️

Yep... Last year I've seldom bought anything prospect-wise that isn't Bowman Chrome Green, Blue, Purple, or 499... or established star that isn't Topps/Topps Chrome Orange, Gold, or Green.

On 4/28/2021 at 4:37 PM, David in CA said:

You're exactly right. Just because something has a different color and print run doesn't mean that it doesn't just add to the total of the exact same card. Color variations are another scam to create an artificial scarcity. History proved this during art print collecting. They would print numbered versions in different sizes 4×6, 8x10, etc. which are now just looked at as a combined total. I try and collect low total print runs. 2019 and 2020 Bowman Heritage are good examples. Overall low print run will stand up better. I say this but as long as people care about the same card in a different color nothing will change.

Edited by Chris1096

On 5/1/2021 at 4:35 PM, Chris1096 said:

You're exactly right. Just because something has a different color and print run doesn't mean that it doesn't just add to the total of the exact same card. Color variations are another scam to create an artificial scarcity. History proved this during art print collecting. They would print numbered versions in different sizes 4×6, 8x10, etc. which are now just looked at as a combined total. I try and collect low total print runs. 2019 and 2020 Bowman Heritage are good examples. Overall low print run will stand up better. I say this but as long as people care about the same card in a different color nothing will change.

I call that the Panini special.  Have 25 1 of 1's of the same card, but in a different color.