• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone explain CSG Sub-Grade Math? Is it similar to BGS?

6 posts in this topic

• Administrator
17 hours ago, Pop Archival said:

I received an overall grade of 8.5 NM/Mint+ with 9.5 Centering, 8.5 Corners, 9.5 Edges, and 8.5 Surface. 

Just curious because my math comes out to 9.0, and that's the grade PSA gave it before I crossed it over to CSG. 

shaqRC.jpg

CSG has developed a proprietary algorithm to determine a card’s final grade based on its sub-grades. While we can’t reveal how we arrive at a final grade and sub-grades for a specific card, we can share some guidelines. First, it is important to note that the final grade is not simply an average of the sub-grades. Rather, it is based on numerous rules that are built into CSG’s proprietary systems and grading process. For example, the final grade can be no more than 1 point higher than the lowest sub-grade. In addition, if the two lowest sub-grades are the same, then that is the final grade for the card

19 hours ago, Pop Archival said:

I received an overall grade of 8.5 NM/Mint+ with 9.5 Centering, 8.5 Corners, 9.5 Edges, and 8.5 Surface. 

Just curious because my math comes out to 9.0, and that's the grade PSA gave it before I crossed it over to CSG. 

shaqRC.jpg

From everything I've seen, if you're going to cross something over, it should be CSG or SGC to PSA. PSA is well known for being the easiest and most lax of the major grading companies.