• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submission Results

50 posts in this topic

I actually just sent in a request to CSG to advise as to how they are looking at the surface level grading on cards. I am noticing a broad theme of 8, 8.5 on surface on modern cards that really look exceptional. I am hoping it is a grader error. I have sent in a few subs thus far and have not yet received any 10's. Mostly modern cards too. As the larger subs are completed I am excited to see what the gem/pristine rate comes out to. 

The above thoughts are correct. Remember who is heading the CSG grading division. A former higher level Beckett grader. CSG 9.5 will be the standard most comparable to a PSA 10. CSG 10 Pristine and Perfect will almost always sell for more than PSA 10 unless the PSA pop is extremely low, but also be much rarer, as it should be. CSG is very tough on card surface. I don't know what it is they are looking at or for but my last 19 card order came back with not a single 10 for surface. The only column where I did not get a single 10 at all. I have no idea what they are looking for as I sent in both paper and glossy chrome type cards. Out of the 19 cards, I only got 3 CSG 10's. In each case, the cards came back with all 10 subgrades except for surface.

13 hours ago, tmoore_25 said:

The above thoughts are correct. Remember who is heading the CSG grading division. A former higher level Beckett grader. CSG 9.5 will be the standard most comparable to a PSA 10. CSG 10 Pristine and Perfect will almost always sell for more than PSA 10 unless the PSA pop is extremely low, but also be much rarer, as it should be. CSG is very tough on card surface. I don't know what it is they are looking at or for but my last 19 card order came back with not a single 10 for surface. The only column where I did not get a single 10 at all. I have no idea what they are looking for as I sent in both paper and glossy chrome type cards. Out of the 19 cards, I only got 3 CSG 10's. In each case, the cards came back with all 10 subgrades except for surface.

they must be looking far beyond 10x magnification on the surface. 

On 4/13/2021 at 9:25 AM, bski80 said:

they must be looking far beyond 10x magnification on the surface. 

10X is extreme. If you need 10x to grade a surface...wtf...???? you may as well go 100X and get down to the microscopic level and grade the damn tree the paper is made from. I feel sorry for all the people, including my self sending in 80s and 90s cards. A pristine 10 early 90s card is a CSG 8...you got to be Sh!tting me.

On 4/12/2021 at 3:55 PM, Cardstash23 said:

I actually just sent in a request to CSG to advise as to how they are looking at the surface level grading on cards. I am noticing a broad theme of 8, 8.5 on surface on modern cards that really look exceptional. I am hoping it is a grader error. I have sent in a few subs thus far and have not yet received any 10's. Mostly modern cards too. As the larger subs are completed I am excited to see what the gem/pristine rate comes out to. 

Are you wiping the cards down before submitting? 

5 hours ago, Brandon Melnick said:

Are you wiping the cards down before submitting? 

I wipe them down with gloves on using a micro fiber cloth. front and back check the corners. I check the edge holing the card perpendicular to my eyeball under 5x magnification. I have a large reject pile due mostly to centering and edges being too rough to expect a 9 or better due to a bad cut at the factory.  FYI really check your 2021 Heritage cards my biggest problem is the left bottom side. from the bottom to about 1.5" up.

The other half of my order has popped and I didn't get any 10's with that one. So I now have submitted 74 cards and only gotten 3 CSG 10's. I've got another 41 card order with them so maybe I will get 1 or 2 in that order. But at least they are consistent. You don't hear of anyone out there getting a disproportionate amount of 10's versus the rest of the CSG community.

On 4/14/2021 at 2:57 PM, Greg Christiansen said:

10X is extreme. If you need 10x to grade a surface...wtf...???? you may as well go 100X and get down to the microscopic level and grade the damn tree the paper is made from. I feel sorry for all the people, including my self sending in 80s and 90s cards. A pristine 10 early 90s card is a CSG 8...you got to be Sh!tting me.

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE! LOL so true!

Has anyone cracked a CSG slab to send into PSA or vice versa?  It would be interesting to see the results other than speculating as discussed above. I have found that it’s going to be a tough hill to climb for CSG cards.  CSG cards are getting about 50-65% of PSA  values. One example is 2012 topps Heritage Mike Trout.  PSA 9 ranges and sells for 350-400+. CSG 9 was listed at $249 (significant discount to start) had almost 600 looks and 40+ watchers only to sell for $220.  I am hoping if all the previous posts are true, then eventually CSG cards are more comparable in value to PSA/Beckett. I have read all the various reasons for grading cards, my reason and I am sure most collectors/investors is to preserve/increase the value of the card (be it a 1990 Fleer Bo Jackson or a 1952 Mickey Mantle) I am hoping CSG makes some progress with a pop report and more CSG slabs hitting the market can only help.  Thoughts?

On 4/12/2021 at 11:01 PM, tmoore_25 said:

I am getting the same feeling here, that CSG is going to keep with the same standards of CGC and limit overgrading and gift grades. Other companies in the comic world have a reputation of not being consistent or too loose. I would rather not see a billion gem mint cards knowing that just because it is fresh from a pack it is mint. Hopefully CSG can set the same standard that CGC has and within 2 years they will take over as the standard in the hobby.

On 6/2/2021 at 1:57 PM, Old Fashion PB and J said:

I am getting the same feeling here, that CSG is going to keep with the same standards of CGC and limit overgrading and gift grades. Other companies in the comic world have a reputation of not being consistent or too loose. I would rather not see a billion gem mint cards knowing that just because it is fresh from a pack it is mint. Hopefully CSG can set the same standard that CGC has and within 2 years they will take over as the standard in the hobby.

If I hand pick 10 cards of 1000 because they are Pristine. I'd expect pristine grades and not 4 9,5s just for the sake of not handing out 10s because a person already got 1 10 in their lot.

15 hours ago, Greg Christiansen said:

If I hand pick 10 cards of 1000 because they are Pristine. I'd expect pristine grades and not 4 9,5s just for the sake of not handing out 10s because a person already got 1 10 in their lot.

If you hand pick 10 cards and get 9.5s they were obviously very nice but not Mint. Any company that just hands out 10s is devaluing the product 

On 4/9/2021 at 9:40 AM, Greg Christiansen said:

Arrived March 15th NO updates 20 Working days = 26 actual days...Hello darkness my old friend...

16 hours ago, Old Fashion PB and J said:

If you hand pick 10 cards and get 9.5s they were obviously very nice but not Mint. Any company that just hands out 10s is devaluing the product 

You must do drugs regularly. PSA hands out 10s all day. Does it devalue a 10? 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

On 6/5/2021 at 3:01 AM, Greg Christiansen said:

You must do drugs regularly. PSA hands out 10s all day. Does it devalue a 10? 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

As CSG and others gain steam and 9.5's become the norm, old PSA 10s will indeed be worth less than companies who grade tight. People will quickly prefer tighter graded cards to PSA 10s and the market will reflect in time.  Also, take a look at how all of the sudden PSA got real stingy with 10s on modern cards.