• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gem Rate Control
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Over the past six months, Ive submitted seven bulk orders. I’ve had 159 cards judged to be in “better than mint” condition (9.5s and 10s). Of those 159 cards, 92 received “Gem Mint” 10s and 67 received “Mint Plus” 9.5s. However, my last order I received 16 “Mint Plus” 9.5s and ZERO 10s. If the odds were 50-50 (very generous because they’ve been 58-42 in favor of 10s), the chances of that happening are 1:65,536. That would leave a 99.99998% chance that this happened to decrease the Gem Rate. My order was actively sabotaged, and it was predetermined that this particular order wouldn’t have a single Gem. I’m disgusted.

• Administrator

Hello, we are sorry to hear that your submission came back with lower grades than you were hoping for. Although we cannot advise you on the specific grades that you received, we can assure you that each card is reviewed by multiple professionals before the final grade is agreed upon. This ensures that the most accurate grades are given to each card.

That response is nonsense. It’s not that i didn’t get the grades I was hoping for at all. You could take 15 of those 9.5’s and lower them and give one Gem and I wouldn’t be posting this. Zero 10’s screams population control, and of course you will deny it. Of course multiple professionals would agree that each individual 9.5 is fair, but they wouldn’t object if they were all 10’s either. The initial grader knew I wasn’t getting any 10s before he/she looked at a single card. Your explanation means nothing. We work hard for the money we spend and to have an order sabotaged like this is unjust. I posted the odds just so it will be obvious to everyone that whatever garbage explanation you replied with will be seen for what it is. If your company wants to retain credibility, I’d advise looking into who the initial grader was on order number 1401000644 and ask questions. Don’t reveal the answer, just fix the problem. 

On 4/19/2023 at 4:25 AM, Reimold34 said:

That response is nonsense. It’s not that i didn’t get the grades I was hoping for at all. You could take 15 of those 9.5’s and lower them and give one Gem and I wouldn’t be posting this. Zero 10’s screams population control, and of course you will deny it. Of course multiple professionals would agree that each individual 9.5 is fair, but they wouldn’t object if they were all 10’s either. The initial grader knew I wasn’t getting any 10s before he/she looked at a single card. Your explanation means nothing. We work hard for the money we spend and to have an order sabotaged like this is unjust. I posted the odds just so it will be obvious to everyone that whatever garbage explanation you replied with will be seen for what it is. If your company wants to retain credibility, I’d advise looking into who the initial grader was on order number 1401000644 and ask questions. Don’t reveal the answer, just fix the problem. 

It’s possible that you actually didn’t have any 10s in that order. 16 is a really small sample size. If you aggregate the 16 into the previous seven orders, you would have 92 “10” and 83 “9.5” graded cards. That is close to the 50:50 ratio you seem to be expecting.

I realize your grievance is with the order of 16 cards, but if you sent all 175 cards in one order, would you have preferred four or five of the 10s to become 9.5s?

On 4/19/2023 at 10:25 AM, Reimold34 said:

sabotage? maybe your cards werent gems! its not a game of chance every card is different, the 1990 hoops MJ has a 4% gem rate across all graders depending on which cards you submitted  results are gonna vary, there are tons of sets with not one gem!! and you think you should get a percentage of gem mint grades thats insane!! if its 1990's chrome cards 30years later almost every card is gonna have greening causing every card to be less then a gem, the problem isnt csg's grading its your extremely unreasonable expectations, what reason would csg not wanna give you gem 10's they're pop report is only 2 years old! the registry is new most cards are pop 1 to pop 5 they are a new company they dont have to control pop counts because there is no pop counts!! your posting odds that mean nothing any collector who knows anything will look at those odds like your crazy because they have nothing to do with the condition of your card..