• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Desert Shield Authentication

6 posts in this topic

I am new to CSG and would like to see if you could help me with determining if either of these Desert Shield Cards are authentic or fake. There is such a difference I'm not sure which one or both should be submitted for grading. I scanned side by side with very high resolution images of a Nolan Ryan on the left and John Olerud on the right. There is such a difference, I wanted to see if either seem authentic for submission to be graded.

Thank you and look forward to building a relationship with CSG.

Tom McClureDesert Shield Comparison

• Administrator

Hello! Thanks for writing in. Unfortunately, it would be nearly impossible to tell if a card was a counterfeit from photos alone and we would need the cards submitted for review to tell for sure. I am sorry but we cannot assist you at this time. Let us know if you have any questions regarding the submission process. Thank you!

If you go to Blowoutforums or Net54 forums, they have people that can tell fakes from reals very easily. If you have a blacklight, the real cards will glow, but this is not a 100% test. The Ryan does look weird, but it could have just been stamped poorly. Attached is my Desert Shield card that Blowout members help me with. The name of the thread on Blowout forums is, "Rolling Thread for Fake 1991 Topps Desert Shield Cards." Good luck!

strawberry.JPG

On 3/9/2023 at 8:04 AM, FlyWillie said:

I am new to CSG and would like to see if you could help me with determining if either of these Desert Shield Cards are authentic or fake. There is such a difference I'm not sure which one or both should be submitted for grading. I scanned side by side with very high resolution images of a Nolan Ryan on the left and John Olerud on the right. There is such a difference, I wanted to see if either seem authentic for submission to be graded.

Thank you and look forward to building a relationship with CSG.

Tom McClureDesert Shield Comparison

Are those scans? The stamp should look like pyrite.

The one on the left does look like pyrite, the one you posted that was graded. I have also been very disappointed with both Beckett and PSA. Everything I've sent that was rejected and all they do is charge you and send back a plastic card with a ?. No feedback at all a reason. Alot of people have the same experience!