• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to cards

2 posts in this topic

New to this whole thing.

I started buying cards about 6 months ago. I now have what I think is a lot, a couple thousand maybe. Obviously, I have several base in the mix, but have been buying higher dollar cards for the last few months. I have a few questions now: What should I use to track my cards? Is there a software that you use? If so, does it track value, and do you enter every card you have in it including base?  Second, how do I know if I should get a card graded or if it is even worth grading? Ultimately, I plan on listing and selling some of the cards with good value. I feel like this is going to be a huge time-consuming attempt. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the hobby!

If you’re collecting cards to try to make a profit, stop. You won’t do it the way you’re going. Shotgun/gambling on cards (like most endeavors) is a failure proposition. If you collect who you like, and someday are able to break even when you sell, congratulations to you!

If you’re looking to invest, learn to grade and recognize when a card is under/over graded.

Edited by northkorea