• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Request on '89 Randy Johnson Donruss Cut Error

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I'm mostly an NGC coin guy but I have a plethora of baseball/sports cards I've accumulated thru the years and my coin compadres on these boards have been super cool, helpful and respectful with my rookie mistakes/questions so I'm hoping y'all might be able share the same courtesy. With that said, as a 50-yo baseball fan, I loved collecting cards as a kid in Ocean City, NJ in the early 1980s, so I know the basics. I am also aware that the card companies over-produced and flooded the market with cheap, wax junk from somewhere in the mid 1980s to mid 1990s, so my expectations are in-check. 

Anyway, what I would like to respectfully request advice from anyone more knowledgeable than me is what to make of this 1989 Donruss Randy Johnson cut error card. If my understanding of cut errors is correct, they have little to negative value except in certain circumstances. What I am wondering is, if this particular card with a pronounced cut error is profound enough to be worth risking the $20 +/- to get certified, in your collective opinion of course. I am inclined to give it a chance and don't mind losing a few bucks if I'm wrong, but at the same time I don't know squat any of this and am not inclined to throw money away on a fool's errand either.

Ergo, I'd be grateful for anyone's time, effort and qualified opinion on the subject. Thanks in advance & God Bless - JFD    

1989 R Johnson Donruss Card Obv.jpg

1989 R Johnson Donruss Card Rev.jpg

That card isn’t overly valuable as a CSG 10, at least in relation to the grading fees.  Like NK said, it will receive a very low grade.  I don’t find it unique enough to add any value due to its issues.  If it had a completely wrong back on it or something like that, it might add a little value for the right person, but I just don’t see it here.  If it is a card you hold dear and want to protect it, go ahead and grade it for that reason, but if you are grading it to simply add value, I wouldn’t.

On 1/21/2023 at 8:17 AM, Junk Wax Addict said:

That card isn’t overly valuable as a CSG 10, at least in relation to the grading fees.  Like NK said, it will receive a very low grade.  I don’t find it unique enough to add any value due to its issues.  If it had a completely wrong back on it or something like that, it might add a little value for the right person, but I just don’t see it here.  If it is a card you hold dear and want to protect it, go ahead and grade it for that reason, but if you are grading it to simply add value, I wouldn’t.

@Junk Wax Addict: Great advice that will be followed. Thank you very much for your time and the $25 it saved me. Have a good one - JFD