• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1990 Topps Baseball "yellowless"
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hi CSG!

Topps had their printing issues with 1990 baseball, the "partial blackless" sheets as you know. They also packed out some partial yellowless cards from their D* production sheets which I believe is unknown by the card community. There are over a dozen error cards that were in one area on a few/several? sheets.

I've done a good bit of searching on online forums, sales sites, Youtube and have found no mention of the yellow errors. I viewed hundreds of images of 1990 Topps Sanders, Smoltz and a couple less popular players, found none. I did see a partial yellowless Danny Heep card a few years ago online but they didn't mention the error. 

Would CSG authenticate, grade without knocking the grades for the partial yellowless ink (like grading companies have done with the missing black ink cards) and label them as partial yellowless error cards?

CSG could be the first to grade them, show the "yellowless" to the card community and I could get the first ones graded ;)

ds.jpg

js.jpg

• Administrator

Hello again!

I was able to confirm "This is not an error we catalog at this time. We would consider cataloging it with more information. For example, the missing black ink 1990 Topps was a result of a known issue happening during the run caused by a foreign object." Thank you!

The lack of properly applied ink would usually be a detractor, as a print defect, not a specialized category. The exception is when it results in significantly observable changes (NNOF Frank Thomas being the most widely accepted). The reason this is generally the case is doing otherwise would result in the entire problem that gets encountered with the 1989 Fleer Randy Johnson "Marlboro visible" vs "Marlboro partially obscured" red version.

On 1/20/2023 at 12:22 PM, northkorea said:

The lack of properly applied ink would usually be a detractor, as a print defect, not a specialized category. The exception is when it results in significantly observable changes (NNOF Frank Thomas being the most widely accepted). The reason this is generally the case is doing otherwise would result in the entire problem that gets encountered with the 1989 Fleer Randy Johnson "Marlboro visible" vs "Marlboro partially obscured" red version.

This thread is "Ask CSG".  Are you an employee of CSG and do you make the cataloging decisions?

• Administrator

@error,

@northkorea is not an employee of CSG. If you would like to reach out to our employees directly you can send us a direct message or "@" us in your reply. Let us know if you have any other questions. @CrystalM CS and myself are both Administrators and work for customer service. If you need further assistance, please let us know.