• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference between Ineligible Type and Service Unavailable designations
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hello CSG Moderators/Support,

Hoping to get a clarification between a card being classified as Ineligible Type or as Service Unavailable.  Over the past orders I have submitted, I have had a couple of cards that came back as Ineligible Type.  The cards in question were not listed on the "Cards We Do Not Grade" Page (https://www.csgcards.com/card-grading/cards-we-grade/#sports-cards-no-grade) and when submitting them I was unable to find them using the card search; but, I also did not see any mechanism during the submission process where I could chat/contact a CSG service agent to verify that the card I was submitting would be graded by CSG.  So, what I am asking is why were these cards classified as Ineligible Type instead of Service Unavailable.  From reading what CSG classifies as Service Unavailable, I see:

"When a card is either of a size CSG currently does not grade, or is an issue that is obscure, it may be returned as “Service Unavailable.” Submitter is not charged the grading fee."

So I believe the cards submitted were of acceptable size; but, they were not manufactured by your more well known card manufacturers so wouldn't that fall under "obscure"?  I ask because I see that Inelgible Type cards still incur a grading fee whereas Service Unavailable cards do not. 

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Dan

NK,

I was under the same impression you were until I happened to look at my cc statement and I saw the full amount charged even though I had a card come back as IT.  The card met the size specifications but CSG deemed that it was a card they did not grade.  I was a little upset about it because PSA and SGC have graded copies of the card in their registries so I couldn't figure out why CSG would not grade it; but, regardless it is their choice on what they will grade.  But then I noticed that I was still charged the full submission cost.  I went through their webpage detailing cards that they do not grade and I didn't see mine listed there but i did see that there was a definition for Service Unavailable for cards that are not a size graded by CSG or are "obscure" which is the only thing I can think of why they did not grade my card.  But, my card did not come back as Service Unavailable, it came back as Ineligible Type and I am hoping I can be told why because the only difference I see is that one definition is charged a fee while the other is not.

The dumb thing for me is I had, in the same order, two cards returned SU and two IT. The two SU were Front Row Japanese, so I kind of assumed that might not be a big one, but I figured "Why not?" The two IT were a soccer card from Reyauca Venezuela and a Griffey auto from 1991. The Griffey was a family authorized issue through Lime Rock (which is actually in the population report), and the Reyauca one stumps me, since they seem to be refusing to grade the specific year.

Good to know because I have a Reyauca Ronaldo that was on my list to send in, so I won't bother with that.  My recent IT was an 06 UK Traditions Ronaldo.  It did not show up during the card submission search so I manually added it figuring I was still good since PSA and SGC have graded copies. But CSG does not recognize the card.