• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Different Holders / Encapsulation

6 posts in this topic

Curious as to what determines which holder is utilized for encapsulation.  A recent order I received had two different methods, but didn't seem to be a pattern of consistency (i.e., a year, brand, etc). 

1) Holder version where the card sits pretty tight in the allotted space (ex: 1033069041)

2) Holder version where the card and the penny sleeve are encapsulated together (ex: 1027883034). 

Are certain cards more likely to be in one encapsulated version or the other?  

Thank you.

• Administrator

@BlueCrab5 Hello!

Great Question! Our sealed inner sleeves are used by our graders when the card in question could/would be damaged by our regular encapsulation methods. Although these cards can look and seem the same size as the cards in our regular holders, extremely minor size differences can cause cards to be damaged if placed in our regular holder. I am sorry for any confusion this has caused. If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

Yes i just did my first 50 card and was not aware that sleeves would be used inside some slabs. It was disappointing as ive been one of your biggest fans since adding sports card grading to your ever long list of things you've graded for years. Like this company has the market on comics, coins, currency, and stamps as it is, and all the big 3 card grading companies are just a joke. CSG was a breath of fresh air, love the new labels, loved the old green labels lol. Id really like to just send all my cards into you guys but that sleeve really takes away from the presentation of the card. 

It really dulls the appearance down, the slabs are so nice and clear when that sleeve is in there it just isn't appealing no more. I would like to know if you could start using clearer sleeves, or only place the sleeve on the back of the card as I want to send more cards in but won't until i know the risk of having one of those nasty sleeves won't be a possibility. Or are you looking for other slab options, as a several other graders never use sleeves inside their slabs. I didn't know if your supplier is limited on sizing options or you have just chosen to use one or two size slabs n use sleeves inside to be cost effective. Thanks 

• Administrator

Hello @Wayne Still,

I can appreciate that the aesthetics of the holder are very important to collectors, and I understand that cards in sleeves do not present as crisp and clear as cards without sleeves. The sleeves are used for the card's safety, and the card must be inside the sleeve for this added protection. We are always looking for ways to improve processes and meet our customer's needs, so your feedback is important, and I will gladly share it with our management team. I am not aware of any new holder sizes in development at this time. Should we consider new options in the future, CSG will focus on how we can best meet customer needs and keep offering great rates for grading. 

Thank you again for sharing your feedback. If you need any additional help, please let us know. 

Thanks for the quick reply, I understand why the sleeves are used. Id rather just have my card alittle loose or just carefully squeeze it in snug than use a ugly sleeve, as once that card is in a slab its never coming out, the grade is the grade and if i trusted you enough to grade it in the first place than ill trust the score. It gets old seeing ppl crack slabs sending into other companies and take a 50/50 chance for higher grade. Which i think more so its same grade or lower lol, unless its psa they just give candy 10s i call them. Which is why i skip over all psa cards. But i also know collectors in general like to gripe and complain about just every little thing. Ive seen many do just that very complaining about some other companies slabs having a minuscule amout of play and just flagging that grading company only to send 100 more cards in the next day to them, which is ridiculous. So yes i understand, its my only gripe i have with your process lol, and as i know your all trying to still learn as you go. I liked the green slabs when they first came out, giving us the choice between subs and no subs was nice as i could care less about subs, any long time collector knows what his card should do with in a point or two and why. So since you took subs away thats a improvement, i didnt like that green labels went away and you let ppl send cards in for new labels and new grading system at first as i trusted it to begin with, but i quickly understood again your in a learning curve and I have come to love the new black labels lol. Well i hope you find clearer sleeves when they are needed, keep up the good work, ill be in Sarasota soon dropping off some more as you guys are the best and ill hope i dont get too many come back with sleeves lol... Thanks again. 

On 3/6/2023 at 9:22 AM, NickiO CS said:

Should we consider new options in the future

I hope you don't start using card borders/inserts. Cards get damaged when the card is not placed in exactly parallel to the border. Any tilt and the edge/s will lift and or chip the back edge of the card.

Buyer/submitter beware of the back edges on bordered cards.