• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Authentication without grading

14 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hello! 

This is an excellent question and a little hard to answer. Yes, we do only authenticate cards at times; however, it is up to the Grader's discretion. Most cards receive the numeric grade unless their condition is poor, or it is a very old card. There is no way to request an Authentic Only grade at this time as it is up to the Graders when they will use this designation. 

Thanks for the reply. What I have are 4 different Mantle cards that I and a friend picked up at a garage sale about 8 years ago. They were included in a box of cards. They were in-closed in one of those hard plastic holder with screws in each corner. I am not trying to determine if they are real of re prints. What would be your recommendations based on what you see in these images? 

20230113_224039.jpg

20230113_224052.jpg

20230113_224002.jpg

• Administrator

Hello @Ring Neck

Thank you for sharing your photos. We cannot accurately authenticate cards via photos. In order to have your cards' authenticity evaluated, the grading team would need to review them in-hand. If submitted and deemed genuine, we would not be able to guarantee that the grading team will encapsulate the cards with a designation of authentic only instead of a numerical grade. 

Thank you again for reaching out to us. Have a good day! 

On 1/22/2023 at 7:24 AM, NickiO CS said:

Hello @Ring Neck

Thank you for sharing your photos. We cannot accurately authenticate cards via photos. In order to have your cards' authenticity evaluated, the grading team would need to review them in-hand. If submitted and deemed genuine, we would not be able to guarantee that the grading team will encapsulate the cards with a designation of authentic only instead of a numerical grade. 

Thank you again for reaching out to us. Have a good day! 

Thanks for that information. I know that you can not determine without the cards in hand and understand why. There is a card show in my area at the end of the month. I will try to find some good eyes with knowledge. 

On 1/22/2023 at 12:17 PM, Ring Neck said:

Thanks for that information. I know that you can not determine without the cards in hand and understand why. There is a card show in my area at the end of the month. I will try to find some good eyes with knowledge. 

I’m telling you: scan the cards on a flatbed scanner at 600+ DPI and look at the printing pattern.

On 1/24/2023 at 3:59 AM, northkorea said:

I’m telling you: scan the cards on a flatbed scanner at 600+ DPI and look at the printing pattern.

Yes you have said that 2 times now. I did and I am still looking for a second opinion.. 

• Administrator

Hello,

We can not make any determinations on protentional grades or authenticity from photos alone. If you would like us to review a specific card, it must be submitted through our services. You can instead ask for the opinion of other collectors in one of our other Chat Boards. Let us know if you have any other questions. 

On 1/27/2023 at 6:06 AM, MattM CS said:

Hello,

We can not make any determinations on protentional grades or authenticity from photos alone. If you would like us to review a specific card, it must be submitted through our services. You can instead ask for the opinion of other collectors in one of our other Chat Boards. Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Thanks, I have asked other people in other groups as well and got the info I need. 

On 1/16/2023 at 1:44 PM, Ring Neck said:

Thanks for the reply. What I have are 4 different Mantle cards that I and a friend picked up at a garage sale about 8 years ago. They were included in a box of cards. They were in-closed in one of those hard plastic holder with screws in each corner. I am not trying to determine if they are real of re prints. What would be your recommendations based on what you see in these images? 

20230113_224039.jpg

20230113_224052.jpg

20230113_224002.jpg

good question they look really clean, throw em in a bulk order and see if csg grades em if they're fake your out a few bucks if they're real congratulations on the super sharp high grade mantles!! ha