• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Really poor, amateurish grading...a ripoff

7 posts in this topic

Submitted 3 cards to CSG recently..all came back altered.

This is hysterical! One of those cards, a 1963 Bob Lily rookie, was once in a PSA 7 (st) holder.

CSG also did this with 3 Venezuelan cards I sent them. I guess no one told the graders that Venezuelans are known for odd cuts.

If you want to pay $20-plus to have your cards not get graded, CSG is the place for you.

Bush-league all the way, right down to the blah holders.

--Reid Creager

On 12/30/2022 at 11:41 PM, creags said:

This is hysterical! One of those cards, a 1963 Bob Lily rookie, was once in a PSA 7 (st) holder.

CSG also did this with 3 Venezuelan cards I sent them. I guess no one told the graders that Venezuelans are known for odd cuts.

If you want to pay $20-plus to have your cards not get graded, CSG is the place for you.

--Reid Creager

You are the very 1st person I've ever heard say they do not like the new style holders.

On 1/1/2023 at 2:54 AM, GTX440.com said:

You are the very 1st person I've ever heard say they do not like the new style holders.

He is also the first person I've heard of that licks their cards before grading.   

Seriously, I can understand a post about cards being returned as 'altered', even if it is a bit suspect as a first post.  But the holder, like it or not, is no surprise, so when I read that part of the post, I considered it troll material.   Not saying it isn't a real post.   He could post a picture of the card and CSG's altered designation.

Also, did have the cross over removed from the PSA holder?  It was, it didn't need to be. Specify to not cross at a lower grade, but only at the same or better grade.  

Edited by Matthew_Natale
Accuracy

On 12/30/2022 at 10:41 PM, creags said:

--Reid Creager

Reid: awhile back I submitted a 1956 Topps Hank Aaron that had been in a PSA 7 slab that had been authenticated by eBay/CSG.  Because I have been a supporter of CSG and because I want to have my 1956 Topps cards in CSG slabs (at least I did), I subbed it to CSG.  It came back as altered.  I then submitted it to PSA and it came back as a PSA 7.  CSG needs to get it together and start getting serious about what it's going to take to be a player in the grading game.  Right now, CSG is getting it's tail kicked by PSA and SGC.  Offering a 20% discount right after CSG raised their prices this past fall is clearly not enough to keep pace.  I strongly suggest CSG start promoting their slabs through better pricing, better marketing, and/or better public relations or they are going to fall off; I'm already seeing this happen and it's not good.  

CSG moderator - your thoughts?

On 12/30/2022 at 11:41 PM, creags said:

--Reid Creager

psa will throw anything in a slab and grade it, If csg isnt 100% positive your card wasnt trimmed or altered they arent gonna risk their guarentee and reputation for your 1963 Bob Lily or 2 venuzualan cards, If psa grades a trimmed card no big deal they get great resale no one cares if csg grades an altered card itll be a major hit against their brand sometimes there just isnt enough information to prove a card wasnt altered, its annoying but when you buy a csg graded card your 100% it wasnt altered unlike psa who has very few vintage graders according to them they'll just slap a grade on it n keep it moving