• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holder Sizes

6 posts in this topic

When is CSG finally going to get cases to accommodate vintage cards that are slightly oversized from the 50’s??

As a vintage collector, I am trying to build sets from this era and every single order I am getting cards returned ungraded due to cards not fitting in the holders.

My order that just popped today has 3 cards from 1954 Bowman Football that all graded 8 or higher, but are being returned to me unslabbed because after two years, CSG still doesn’t have a holder that can accommodate this.

I am trying to support CSG and their registry, but I am really getting frustrated that I have to send high grade vintage cards to other companies to get them graded / encapsulated.  This screws up my collection and I have to buy new copies if I want to include them in my registry set - which I clearly do.  This doesn’t even include all the cards that get returned as altered that are then graded without issue at other graders (SGC, specifically).

I would really like to understand this.  I am considering sending my vintage cards somewhere else consistently if CSG continues to have these repeat issues.

• Administrator

Hello Glen,

Thank you for reaching out to CSG. At this time, we are working to improve our holders to accommodate the larger-sized cards; however, there is still no set timeline for when they will be finalized. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. I will be sure to pass along your feedback to the appropriate parties as well. Please let us know if you have any additional questions. 

There are 1954 Bowman cards slabbed by CSG. They have holders that can accommodate those cards. They use their standard older Topps sized holder and crimp a plastic sleeve around those in the bigger holder. CSG can't grade cards like 1969 Topps tall boys in basketball, but they have holders for your cards.

From CSG, "CSG currently grades cards that measure 2-5/8" x 3-3/4" or less." 1954 Bowman football are  2½" by 3¾". They will fit in CSG slabs.

Edited by redfoxdutchman

On 9/23/2022 at 12:57 PM, mrl66 said:
On 12/2/2022 at 9:25 AM, redfoxdutchman said:

There are 1954 Bowman cards slabbed by CSG. They have holders that can accommodate those cards. They use their standard older Topps sized holder and crimp a plastic sleeve around those in the bigger holder. CSG can't grade cards like 1969 Topps tall boys in basketball, but they have holders for your cards.

From CSG, "CSG currently grades cards that measure 2-5/8" x 3-3/4" or less." 1954 Bowman football are  2½" by 3¾". They will fit in CSG slabs.

I just had 3 sent back too big for holder.  I know they have some graded, but clearly not all.  I have had multiple cards returned as too big from all the oversized years…52 large, 53, 54, 55…

On 12/1/2022 at 9:54 AM, Glen Campbell said:

When is CSG finally going to get cases to accommodate vintage cards that are slightly oversized from the 50’s??

As a vintage collector, I am trying to build sets from this era and every single order I am getting cards returned ungraded due to cards not fitting in the holders.

My order that just popped today has 3 cards from 1954 Bowman Football that all graded 8 or higher, but are being returned to me unslabbed because after two years, CSG still doesn’t have a holder that can accommodate this.

I am trying to support CSG and their registry, but I am really getting frustrated that I have to send high grade vintage cards to other companies to get them graded / encapsulated.  This screws up my collection and I have to buy new copies if I want to include them in my registry set - which I clearly do.  This doesn’t even include all the cards that get returned as altered that are then graded without issue at other graders (SGC, specifically).

I would really like to understand this.  I am considering sending my vintage cards somewhere else consistently if CSG continues to have these repeat issues.

Good question, Glen.  I'm having the same issue with '56 Topps football and '55 and '56 Topps baseball

SU.jpg

I think the issue is, from my grading experience, that the size of the inserts within the holder is the issue. If the card is even slightly larger then standard 2.5 x 3.5 inches for typical cards, they will have to put them into a crimped plastic sleeve into the larger holder. CSG's slabs have hardly any leeway on cards cut bigger than the typical size. I think this is the issue with the cards not being holdered for older Topps. The will grade them and then not be able to slab them because of the card being ever so slightly bigger than the slab allows. For example the holder will allow cards up to 3.8 inches, but if your card is 3.82 inches it can't be slabbed.