• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to start?

3 posts in this topic

Where to start? Right now I am about four months in to collecting. I am finding out that it is pretty expensive to chase any of these modern cards. I am currently working with limited funds and I am mostly buying vintage 1970s through 90s. I did unfortunately find out the difference between retail and hobby. Eventually I will have more funds allocated to afford to bid on some gems. Any suggestions for now? Thanks, Andrew

Hi Andrew, I am newer here to CSG but not new to collecting cards. My suggestion would be to focus on things that you like. Find some enjoyment in collecting things you like and don't allow the hobby to consume you. It can become very daunting to try and chase cards especially when seeing people on Youtube and social media making it look so easy. You can also find some decent deals browsing card auctions visiting places like local yard sales. -Chay

Focus on just one or two sets, players, or teams. If you don't you'll be all over the place like I was for a couple decades and end up with a smorgasbord of goop that had no rhyme or reason.   Once I got settled in on a couple different sets at a time, it all became clearer, and actually less stressful as it was just fine NOT going after a card I thought I had to have.    Saved a heck of a lot of money NOT going psycho on anything/everything  :)   

Edited by UncleTed