• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too much variety or bad FIFO?

8 posts in this topic

Just wondering if variety within a submission causes delays in the grading process?

My collector friend and I commonly submit bulk orders around the same time and every time his order is processed faster than mine.  Even when mine is received sooner, I pay sooner and it moves to grading sooner…his always ships out days better than my turnaround.

The only thing I can think of that would consistently cause this is that he sends primarily modern / ultra modern, standard sized cards.

I usually send a mix of ultra modern / modern / junk wax / vintage.  I send autographed cards.  I send standard / mini / oversized cards.  I send 35 pt. up to 180 pt. cards.  All in the same bulk order.

Is this potentially why my order takes longer or does CSG just have terrible FIFO control?

• Administrator

Hello! This is an excellent question. There are times that we receive cards that require more research or time to grade them, especially with vintage/obscure cards. These do cause slight delays as we try to ensure the most accurate information is used when grading these cards. 

On 11/8/2022 at 7:07 PM, Glen Campbell said:

Just wondering if variety within a submission causes delays in the grading process?

My collector friend and I commonly submit bulk orders around the same time and every time his order is processed faster than mine.  Even when mine is received sooner, I pay sooner and it moves to grading sooner…his always ships out days better than my turnaround.

The only thing I can think of that would consistently cause this is that he sends primarily modern / ultra modern, standard sized cards.

I usually send a mix of ultra modern / modern / junk wax / vintage.  I send autographed cards.  I send standard / mini / oversized cards.  I send 35 pt. up to 180 pt. cards.  All in the same bulk order.

Is this potentially why my order takes longer or does CSG just have terrible FIFO control?

I heard this is a major problem at psa, if you got all ultra moderns ya'll get cards back along with turnaround times, but if you have 1 vintage card in your order can jack up your order for 3 extra monthes ha cause only certain employees can grade vintage 

On 11/27/2022 at 9:25 PM, micky 8 said:

I heard this is a major problem at psa, if you got all ultra moderns ya'll get cards back along with turnaround times, but if you have 1 vintage card in your order can jack up your order for 3 extra monthes ha cause only certain employees can grade vintage 

It ended up taking 23 business days.  Guess it was hung up on a 1992 All World Jim Brown Autograph…not sure why.  The lead grader reached out to me and told me he had to approve the card to be graded.  Think it may have to do with the graders not knowing there were 1000F (foil) and 1000R (rack) versions of the card, but cannot be sure.

On 11/28/2022 at 7:34 PM, Glen Campbell said:

It ended up taking 23 business days.  Guess it was hung up on a 1992 All World Jim Brown Autograph…not sure why.  The lead grader reached out to me and told me he had to approve the card to be graded.  Think it may have to do with the graders not knowing there were 1000F (foil) and 1000R (rack) versions of the card, but cannot be sure.

thats weird sounds like a low pop card ha Is your youtube channel Deviationcards? same Glen? i

On 11/28/2022 at 2:34 PM, Glen Campbell said:

It probably had to do with the card being autographed. PSA has a policy to not authenticate cards autographed before a certain date, requiring that they be sent through the PSADNA system prior to card grading. This, of course, is stupid, since PSA then requires any PSADNA authenticated card to go through their dual-auto cross-over service… which costs more than it would submitting otherwise.

My supposition is that CSG, lacking an autograph authentication division, requires the head grader to accept the card autograph authentication as legitimate. A prime example of this would be the 2001 Fleer Pujols autos or the 1995 Action Packed Jeter autos, since so many cards were issued without signatures.