• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slab scratches: Any strategies for buffing them out?

5 posts in this topic

Long story short, After a few months I finally got to a box of cards I'd had re-labeled with the new label and 45 of the 50 cards in the order were all scratched/scuffed in the same spot to varying degrees. I obviously do not want to sell them like this so I was wondering if anyone had some tips for removing the scratches? A photo of one of the worst is attached, but there might be some with smaller issues that could be remedied. Thx in advance.

IMG_2839.JPG

Hello TennisCardCity,

I have used the following polishing kit with varying degrees of success.  All depends how deep the scratches are but light surface scratches usually buff out without issue. I have tested it on PSA with success and SGC, I have yet to use it on CSG slabs so I do not know if using the polish will badly affect the clarity of the CSG slab. But, for $20 it may be worth a shot in your situation

NOVUS 7100 Plastic Polish Kit - 8 Ounce

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UCYRZU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On 9/29/2022 at 7:56 AM, TwoYewts said:

Hello TennisCardCity,

I have used the following polishing kit with varying degrees of success.  All depends how deep the scratches are but light surface scratches usually buff out without issue. I have tested it on PSA with success and SGC, I have yet to use it on CSG slabs so I do not know if using the polish will badly affect the clarity of the CSG slab. But, for $20 it may be worth a shot in your situation

NOVUS 7100 Plastic Polish Kit - 8 Ounce

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UCYRZU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you! Ordered. I have my weekend project. ;)

Lol you are welcome.  Hope it turns out well!  Like I mentioned I have used it on other vendor slabs that are in my PC and it has turned out pretty good but those slabs are not as crystal clear as CSG so I just hope the polishing does not affect the clarity.  Maybe try on a section on the back of a slab by the label first before using it on the front anywhere. Good luck.

I've used Plast-X on CSG/CGC slabs with success. However I always use a brand new microfiber cloth each cleaning session. I've found re used ones sometimes cause more scratches (which I then buffed out with a new one lol). Also firstly of course use something like compressed air can to remove all debree and dust.

Edited by JohnBurke